HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 10:04 PM
Engineer

I agree that as far as the contract goes, Deron's best choice will definitely be Utah . . . also, I think Sloan left because Kevin O'Connor and Co. were freaking out because he and Deron were not getting along. They're so afraid of losing Deron, they couldn't care less about Jerry Sloan. Sloan was supposedly talking with Kevin O'Connor in his office they day before he resigned, but I bet O'Connor was actually just yelling at him for clashing with Williams. I think that's why Sloan left. They weren't going to fire him after 20+ years of coaching--that would make them look bad. So, they told him to strongly consider leaving . . . and hey, Sloan's been around a while and he's tired . . . so, he left . . . I think it had more to do with Jazz management than with Williams. And I think despite the good contract he'll have with the Jazz and despite the fact that management got rid of Jerry Sloan, he'll end up leaving. Obviously, I believe it all comes down to how well they play for the remainder of this season and next season. But I think even if they make the playoffs at a seven or an eight seed, Williams is gonna want out . . . he wants to win. Of course, I don't really hope he leaves, as I had initially stated (hey, I was caught up in the moment), but I think he will . . .

"They changed the floor back to old school. They changed the uniform back to old school. Somebody tell the damn players to start playing like old school"-Karl Malone

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1DyPFeKkE

Karl Malone-future coach of the Utah Jazz?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
Its more likely that Daren will end up staying here. With AK's and Memo's contracts ending (AK's this year, Memo next year), they will have the most to offer Deron and another top free agent. Deron does like it in Utah, in fact he is the ONLY one on the team that lives in Utah All Year (in the off season) when everyone else leaves.
I really hope you're right, but as a life-long Jazz fan without Coach Sloan, I envision a small-market NBA team struggling to recruit solid free-agent talent.

My biggest fear is that the Utah Jazz will slip into NBA irrelevance in the Western Conference (i.e. Minnesota Timberwolves, Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings) and ultimately become a non-contender financial business that the Miller family will sell in the next five years.

Deron Williams will jump a sinking ship the first opportunity he gets (next year). The team will be sold and moved. Energy Solutions Arena (in the top third of aging NBA venues) will be demolished and turned into a "glorified Jordan Commons."

I don't want any of this to happen. I attended the 1997 NBA Finals Game 3 at the Delta Center. But if the city of Seattle couldn't save their SuperSonics (and they even had an NBA Championship trophy), then I sadly see the Jazz not playing in SLC beyond a decade from now. I know that the SuperSonics dispute came over tax dollars for a new venue, very different from the Miller's owning ESA, but the outcome is equally bleak.

I really hope I'm wrong on this forecast.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Karl Malone-future coach of the Utah Jazz?
Maybe, maybe as an NBA scout. Definitely not NBA Head Coach material.

His skull is filled up like a gum-ball machine.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:57 PM

Malone will Not be a coach. Great Player? - Yes. A Coach? - NO. He can't even put a sentence together when he talks. He said that ‘he’s just a phone call away’ if the Jazz need him. Yet, they called Hornacek, NOT Malone. Plus, with Malone shooting his mouth off about the ‘Jerry & D-Will issue’ and blaming D-Will is helping him with the Miller Family.
The Jazz Aren’t leaving Utah. The Miller’s just spent Millions of dollars in making improvements to the ESA. It’s true that Utah isn’t a big ‘Market’ – but it actually is NOT the smallest in the NBA. The problem is that the Miller Family is the richest owners in the NBA – near the bottom. But when Larry was alive he had and it is still in effect – a clause that if the Jazz are sold they can’t leave Utah and the Buyer has to be a Utahan. There are plenty of people in Utah that have deeper pockets than the Millers in Utah – Huntsman, Marriot, & that Sinclair Gas guy.
Bring Free Agents to Utah really isn’t a Huge problem as many think. Having talk to past and current NBA players, Most (not all) don’t care as much as you think. The Top concerns for most players is, 1- Money, 2- Opportunity (playing time, being important, being a ‘go to guy’), 3- other players on the team/how good the team is or might be. Lot of players know that when they play on a team they can really minimize the amount of time they are in their teams’ city. With the off season, road trips and if they do or do not make the playoffs a player would only at most have to be there about a total of 60% of the time.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 4:57 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Well I called it.......

Report: Williams being traded to New Jersey
February 23rd, 2011 @ 9:38am
By ksl.com

SALT LAKE CITY -- Yahoo Sports reports that the New Jersey Nets and Utah Jazz have agreed to a deal that will send All-Star point guard Deron Williams to the Nets in a multi-player package.

According to the report, New Jersey will acquire Deron Williams and Golden State will receive Troy Murphy in exchange for Dan Gadzuric, while the Jazz will receive rookie Derrick Favors, point guard Devin Harris and two first-round draft picks from the Nets.

Adrian Wojnaroski of Yahoo Sports said on Twitter that it's a done deal.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=304&sid=14484498

I hate it when I'm right sometimes, but this just shows that nobody wants to play in our pathetic little market here in Salt Lake. Great, so now we don't even have an All-Star.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:32 PM

This isn't an indication that nobody wants to play here. Deron Williams is not happy about this trade. What this does indicate is that players need to be careful what they say. Deron said over and over again that if the Jazz didn't compete for a title, he was gone in 2012. With the recent tail-spin of the Jazz, they figured it's better to get something for him now than nothing for him later. If Deron didn't want to go, he should have been more careful what he said.
Still, this is sad and frustrating. It all starts with Kevin O'Conner trading Brewer a season ago, and letting Wesley Matthews go this summer. Deron was not pleased by either of those things, and he was right when he said it weakened us, especially obvious now that we completely suck at the Shooting Guard position. So I blame O'Connor for starting this avalanche that chased away Jerry Sloan and now has forced us to move D-Will.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 8:02 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
This isn't an indication that nobody wants to play here. Deron Williams is not happy about this trade. What this does indicate is that players need to be careful what they say. Deron said over and over again that if the Jazz didn't compete for a title, he was gone in 2012. With the recent tail-spin of the Jazz, they figured it's better to get something for him now than nothing for him later. If Deron didn't want to go, he should have been more careful what he said.
Still, this is sad and frustrating. It all starts with Kevin O'Conner trading Brewer a season ago, and letting Wesley Matthews go this summer. Deron was not pleased by either of those things, and he was right when he said it weakened us, especially obvious now that we completely suck at the Shooting Guard position. So I blame O'Connor for starting this avalanche that chased away Jerry Sloan and now has forced us to move D-Will.

Agreed. Kevin O'Conner has strike out more times then I can count. Here are the latest for this past year alone.

Strike one: Trading Brewer
Strike Two: letting Wesley Matthews go
Strike Three: Firing Jerry Sloan ( Even though they will never admit that. )
Strike Four: Today with D-Will leaving.

This Jazz team has gone into a tail spin and I'm starting to feel that if things get any worst this team will go up for sale. Relocation could be imminent. I'm sure if the NBA and Stern had their way they would love to see the Jazz move to Vegas. I think the NBA desperately wants to get into Las Vegas market and what better way to have a declining small market team like the Jazz that's only 400 miles away from Vegas. I hope that never happens, but after today who knows how many fans they lost. Less fans = less money.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 8:17 PM

Quote:
I'm sure if the NBA and Stern had their way they would love to see the Jazz move to Vegas. I think the NBA desperately wants to get into Las Vegas market and what better way to have a declining small market team like the Jazz that's only 400 miles away from Vegas. I hope that never happens, but after today who knows how many fans they lost. Less fans = less money.
I don't think we have to worry about the Jazz moving. They make a lot of money. The only team currently that is not making money and is on life support is New Orleans. After that, it is Charlotte.

There are many teams that aren't happy with their current financial state. Sacramento is a team that has tossed around moving for a year or so in an effort to get a new arena.

With all the teams with financial issues, attendance issues and arena issues. The Jazz are doing just fine and it would be hard to justify moving or selling the team with other teams in what some would consider dire straits.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 8:31 PM

Hate to say so, Makid, but that's not true. The primary reason there will likely be a lock out this next year over the new Collective Bargaining Agreement is the fact so many teams are losing money, especially the small-market teams. Best example: This year, the San Antonio Spurs will lose money. They have the best record in the league this year. They have championships. They have no trouble selling tickets. But they're small market. And this season, they'll be in the red.
I hope the Jazz don't move either, and normally, I have doubted that as a real possibility, but who would have thought even a month ago that Sloan would not be coaching and Deron Williams would be in New Jersey? The wheels have fallen off the wagon, and it's because Kevin O'Connor keeps trying to fill one hole by digging another. What a disaster! I want O'Connor's head on a plate...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 11:52 PM

I was pretty upset this morning at the news of the trade. After the day of research, I think this was the right move. Deron was not going to be here after next year. I do NOT want to have a lebron scenario (where we get nothing) or a carmelo scenario (circus fest). Getting 3 most likely lottery picks (I'm counting Derrick Favors as one), including one THIS YEAR (most likely top 7 pick) is a great coup. Would I have liked DWill long term? Absolutely, but since that wasn't going to happen, this is not a bad deal.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 12:18 AM

I see where you (and the Jazz office) is coming from, but I just don't agree. You've already got a franchise corner stone in D-will, and the Jefferson/Williams combo is working after only a few months. Jefferson's scoring average had risen every month he's played here. And you've still got a full season on Williams contract before he can opt out. What do you do if you're management? You get crazy adding talent around them! Okur is done, AK is made of glass, Price is useless. You've got your marquee players so you get role players! Ship off AK, and Okur (two expiring contracts), Price, Elson, Evans, whoever you can make a package with to get the proper support system. You get a good sharp shooter on this squad (before they shipped Williams) and reliable PF off the bench and you've got a contender. Then Williams resigns with the team. Instead, Jazz have been set back at least three years. By the time we use these draft picks and develop Favors, Millsap and Jefferson are past their prime.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 12:21 AM

Quote:
I see where you (and the Jazz office) is coming from, but I just don't agree. You've already got a franchise corner stone in D-will, and the Jefferson/Williams combo is working after only a few months. Jefferson's scoring average had risen every month he's played here. And you've still got a full season on Williams contract before he can opt out. What do you do if you're management? You get crazy adding talent around them! Okur is done, AK is made of glass, Price is useless. You've got your marquee players so you get role players! Ship off AK, and Okur (two expiring contracts), Price, Elson, Evans, whoever you can make a package with to get the proper support system. You get a good sharp shooter on this squad (before they shipped Williams) and reliable PF off the bench and you've got a contender. Then Williams resigns with the team. Instead, Jazz have been set back at least three years. By the time we use these draft picks and develop Favors, Millsap and Jefferson are past their prime.
I think that is waaaay too optimistic. I like Jefferson, but I don't see him being the superstar you want. Plus, even if he is getting better (and I agree), the team has been absolute garbage in it's last 17. DWill was not happy. He wasn't going to resign. The Jazz did what they had to do. They are now back to rebuilding (but like I said, with how crappy they have been playing, they were basically rebuilding anyway). With a serviceable (and former all star) point guard in Harris and 3 lottery picks, things will pick up in a couple years.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 1:26 AM

WORST DAY OF MY LIFE!!! Kevin O'Connor has got to go. We went from at least being respectable to a complete dumpster fire. We had a nice combo of Williams-Boozer led by HOFer Jerry Sloan to who the hell knows what. Not a good month for us Jazz fans. I am absolutely dumbfounded. I don't know what is going on with that organization. I didn't think running off a Hall of Fame Coach, the World's best PG, a top-5 Power Forward as well as a plethora of effective role players was part of their master plan, but who knows. Another BIG trade better be around the corner...(involving Kirilenko hopefully)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 7:51 AM

The worst part was that my brother woke me up to tell me the news and I really wanted to sleep in.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 8:59 PM

I didn't say Jefferson was going to be a super-star. I don't think he ever will. But he is a reliable 20/10 guy, and a shot-blocker. Deron Williams is a superstar, and so AJ is a great piece to have with him. But now what? Now there's no superstar to build around.
And speaking of being too optimistic, thinking that much is going to come of three draft picks may be wishful thinking. Very few draft picks amount to more than role players and journeymen. Some drafts produce no stars or leaders at all. And after the top three picks, it's a crap-shoot from there to the end of the second round. The Jazz struck gold with D-will in the draft. To me, this is like winning the lottery and then giving the money back for the chance to play again.
Anyone who has read this thread will know that I'm no fair weather fan. I stick with my team through the low points. SLC Projects can vouch for me there as we've often debated the Jazz here. But with this asinine move, they're gonna have to win my support back. I can handle my team getting beat. I can't handle my team getting dismantled by chicken-shit management.

Oh, and if anyone is forming a mob to tar and feather Greg Miller and Kevin O'Connor, let me know. I'll just get my pitchfork.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

Agreed. Kevin O'Conner has strike out more times then I can count.
I may be in the minority opinion here, however I think what Kevin O'Conner did for the Jazz franchise and fan base with D-Will was a good (not great) move.

Regarding your list of KOC F-ups this season:

Quote:
Strike one: Trading Brewer
You and I agree. This was the first domino to fall within the Jazz management and players to what it is now.

Quote:
Strike Two: letting Wesley Matthews go
I'm going to disagree with this strike. Wesley Matthews is not worth a front-loaded $34 Million contract over five years. Portland very well knew of Utah's financial contracts with AK-47 and Memo and sniffed the opportunity to pounce. Paul Milsap deserves those dollars, not Wes Matthews.

Quote:
Strike Three: Firing Jerry Sloan ( Even though they will never admit that. )
This strike I will agree with you. Hindsight is always 20/20, but reading reports that Sloan wanted Jazz management to 'discipline' D-Will for his audibles on time-out calls and now seeing Deron Williams going to the Nets in a blockbuster trade makes perfect sense.

Kevin O'Conner can't 'discipline' a two-time NBA all star that he's shopping around to the league.
Quote:
Strike Four: Today with D-Will leaving.
Good riddance. He was a sourpuss and a cancer in the locker room, and that's never good for any NBA franchise.

I will give D-Will credit: He always competed 110% every game, but his body language and past statements to the media (i.e. "That's why I signed a three-year deal,") created a bitterness to the fan base and the organization.

Quote:
This Jazz team has gone into a tail spin and I'm starting to feel that if things get any worst this team will go up for sale. Relocation could be imminent.
That was my fear ten days ago, as seen below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseven View Post
My biggest fear is that the Utah Jazz will slip into NBA irrelevance in the Western Conference (i.e. Minnesota Timberwolves, Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings) and ultimately become a non-contender financial business that the Miller family will sell in the next five years.

Deron Williams will jump a sinking ship the first opportunity he gets (next year). The team will be sold and moved. Energy Solutions Arena (in the top third of aging NBA venues) will be demolished and turned into a "glorified Jordan Commons."

I don't want any of this to happen. I attended the 1997 NBA Finals Game 3 at the Delta Center. But if the city of Seattle couldn't save their SuperSonics (and they even had an NBA Championship trophy), then I sadly see the Jazz not playing in SLC beyond a decade from now. I know that the SuperSonics dispute came over tax dollars for a new venue, very different from the Miller's owning ESA, but the outcome is equally bleak.

I really hope I'm wrong on this forecast.
What Kevin O'Conner has done, to his credit, is given the Jazz franchise and its fans a life-preserver in open waters heading into the CBA negotiations.

The Jazz have a future lottery draft pick with the Nets this year, one time All-Star Devin Harris (2004 Class, pick #5), Derrick Favors (2010 Class, pick #3), and another first round draft pick from Golden State. If Ty Corbin can tie this future all together, I can rest easy being a Jazz fan.

I guess we'll see what that future holds.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 8:25 AM

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 5:35 PM

This whole lock-out scenario has become a complete charade. All we know for certain is that neither the owners nor the players give a shit in anyway about the fans or the people who make a living in the NBA's day-to-day operations.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 5:44 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
This whole lock-out scenario has become a complete charade. All we know for certain is that neither the owners nor the players give a shit in anyway about the fans or the people who make a living in the NBA's day-to-day operations.
Either way, Denver and Salt Lake City should be rooting for the owners because it's the only way our States are ever going to be able to compete. The owners are representing the smaller NBA teams.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2011, 10:48 PM

I agree, S.P. Hansen. The system needs fixing. However, the lockout has become such a battle of ego that it's gone past that. The owners had it. The players gave up a lot, and just before the negotiations broke down, the deal that should have happened was in place. The players had relinquished over 5% of the BRI (basketball related income) which amounts to 280 million dollars a year (the league says they lost 300 million last year). That's a lot of money from the players. The owners had also gotten almost exactly what they wanted on the system issues. They had a much stronger luxury tax that would have really penalized teams that won't over, worse and worse for each year they went over, and all that money would be going to non-tax paying teams. They had the chance to get out of bad contracts like Gilbert Arenas in Orlando, they had shorter guaranteed contracts on free agents and veterans. And the league had drawn up a new revenue sharing plan that would give small market teams access to percentages of the huge media deals teams like LA and NY get.
The players weren't happy with the system issues, but would have signed the deal had the owners allowed them 51-52% of the BRI.
But the owners are pissed. And they want to break the players completely. Because as I said, they don't care about the game. And we can thank the likes of Lebron James and Carmelo Anthony (among many others) for the owners anger. They're not letting the players dictate the terms of the league.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West