HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What do you think of the design?
I love it! 156 44.70%
It's good. 134 38.40%
I don't like it. 28 8.02%
Nuke it from Orbit (waste of taxpayers dollars) 31 8.88%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 6:25 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Can someone bring a life size cardboard cutout of me to the event? Im going to revelstoke on Saturday.

Oh - that could be a LOT of fun! Yes please, I'll do it! Please pass me a life sized cutout of yourself!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 7:49 PM
Fake News

Sadly it doesn't look like I'll be making it out for the ribbon cutting Saturday. Raise a pinky for me and knock back some lattes in front of Rick Bell.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 7:57 PM

Now hearing about a group of protesters planning to wear black. Either the blue people have changed their minds, or we have another 'faction' turning up. Well, assuming they can find parking close enough to bother, of course.

It'd be extremely disappointing if this turns ugly.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:10 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Can someone bring a life size cardboard cutout of me to the event? Im going to revelstoke on Saturday.

revelstoke? what kind of Calgary urbanist are you if you're not bothering to show up to this momentous event

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:17 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbownian View Post
Now hearing about a group of protesters planning to wear black. Either the blue people have changed their minds, or we have another 'faction' turning up. Well, assuming they can find parking close enough to bother, of course.

Considering the only public event I recall ever getting physical in Calgary was the white power parade, I'm not too concerned. It will probably be a bunch of baby boomer tea party groupies.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Considering the only public event I recall ever getting physical in Calgary was the white power parade, I'm not too concerned. It will probably be a bunch of baby boomer tea party groupies.
Oh, not like I'm expecting a brawl or anything! That wouldn't be so much disappointing as pathetic. Just don't understand why people would feel the need to turn up to ruin it for others at this stage.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:34 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:

Forecast for Saturday is only a high of 3 with a chance of snow. I really doubt protestors show up in those conditions.

Besides any that do show up should be redirected to the WLRT, where that budget is substantially over the original amount.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:35 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Oh, not like I'm expecting a brawl or anything! That wouldn't be so much disappointing as pathetic. Just don't understand why people would feel the need to turn up to ruin it for others at this stage.
It's about principles. I don't share their viewpoint but I understand their need to express it. They just don't want the horrid procurement process to get glossed over and forgotten. Hopefully this will be a lesson for city hall on handling future infrastructure projects.

Again, I'm fully in favour of the Peace Bridge, just playing devil's advocate.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:40 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
It's about principles. I don't share their viewpoint but I understand their need to express it. They just don't want the horrid procurement process to get glossed over and forgotten. Hopefully this will be a lesson for city hall on handling future infrastructure projects.

Again, I'm fully in favour of the Peace Bridge, just playing devil's advocate.
Have these planned protestors been paying any attention? Multiple members of council and the mayor are on record saying that the mistakes made with the sourcing and tendering of this bridge will not be repeated. The St. Patrick's Island bridge process already is proof of that. Not too mention how open and accountable they have been with the airport trail tunnel so far.

I would dare say that even the majority of us going out to celebrate the opening of the bridge were not happy with the process that lead to it. But we are not there about all that shit, we are there to celebrate THE BRIDGE. It's built, it's not going anywhere now, might as well learn to deal with the fact that it will be there for a very long time.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 8:44 PM

Quote:
They just don't want the horrid procurement process to get glossed over and forgotten.
Completely understand the devil's advocate stance - I'm wording things very poorly today and it keeps coming back to bite me. If that's what people turn up to make a statement about, more power to them. While I'm very much a supporter of the bridge itself, I don't disagree that the process was a shambles. That's been acknowledged by council and administration though, so the lesson appears to have been learned.

(in other words, what Bigtime just said, far better than me, while I was typing this!)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 9:10 PM
City of Blinding Lights

I shall wear a monocle and walk with a cane whilst drinking a latte from a fine china tumbler.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 9:19 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I shall wear a monocle and walk with a cane whilst drinking a latte from a fine china tumbler.
lol it better be Royal Doulton Made in England china

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 9:29 PM
Westgate Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Are you Mr. Peanut?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 9:39 PM

My thoughts exactly! The bridge has been built for f**k sakes, far too late to protest it now. Bunch of jackasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Have these planned protestors been paying any attention? Multiple members of council and the mayor are on record saying that the mistakes made with the sourcing and tendering of this bridge will not be repeated. The St. Patrick's Island bridge process already is proof of that. Not too mention how open and accountable they have been with the airport trail tunnel so far.

I would dare say that even the majority of us going out to celebrate the opening of the bridge were not happy with the process that lead to it. But we are not there about all that shit, we are there to celebrate THE BRIDGE. It's built, it's not going anywhere now, might as well learn to deal with the fact that it will be there for a very long time.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 9:42 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferguy View Post
Are you Mr. Peanut?
I can be anything you want me to be

Anyone have a top hat and some black tights I can borrow?

Oh, and a peanut suit?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 10:07 PM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:10 AM
Round Head

So people there to celebrate the opening wearing red and "protesters" wearing black. That should be interesting.

I think they should have just simply opened it one day without fanfare. And then a few months from now, bring in Calatrava and have a celebration then.

Also Paul Hughes is announcing his candidacy for Ward 7 on Saturday. That should be, um, entertaining.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:51 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
So people there to celebrate the opening wearing red and "protesters" wearing black. That should be interesting.

I think they should have just simply opened it one day without fanfare. And then a few months from now, bring in Calatrava and have a celebration then.

Also Paul Hughes is announcing his candidacy for Ward 7 on Saturday. That should be, um, entertaining.
2 degrees, really don't think protestors are going to waste part of their day. Plus deep down they probably know that quite a few of the supporters could debate circles around them (if we even wanted to give them the time of day, which I wouldn't).

I've already had to start adding "-hughesward7" on my twitter searches so as to not see his continual spewing of stuff. Yesterday he was already coming out saying that Nenshi pretty much ripped off all of his social media strategy. I would agree that he probably took some pages from his engagement on twitter, but the big difference would be that Nenshi had friends. Paul, well...

You going to come down Saturday Wooster?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:48 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:

Attention whoring suburbanites who can't possibly think of any more constructive use of their time than to get their mugs on TV by "protesting". I mean seriously, THIS is the best way they can come up with to change civic policy?

#firstworldproblems is coming to mind again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates