HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:09 PM

WRT A/C - I think it also depends on the types of windows in your unit. The narrow "flip-out" style of windows don't circulate air very well.
The taller "swing-out" style of windows allow more air in - especially in older buildings that don't have the range of opening limited and if you can create a cross-flow.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 3:23 AM

Two more weeks to go before our move-out date, but already yesterday we had to have a crew move all our furniture. We ran out of time with the search and had to go with Plan B which was to rent a temporary shoebox apartment while we keep looking for the Right One. Our shoebox is located on 32th floor in Yaletown, so there is a view (of course! ) but otherwise the temporary place is nothing spectacular. It is still a relief to be paying 39% less rent for the next 2-3 months while we continue the search. That will easily cover for the cost of moving twice and keeping our stuff in a storage on Powell Street for that time.

It is incredible how much stuff one accumulates in just three years! We were barely able to fit all our furniture into a 10x15' locker. It just didn't feel like that much stuff when it was all still in our 1634 sqf apartment.

The apartment has now been listed for over sever weeks and only five people have come by to see it and none have taken it. A bit surprisingly the very first couple that saw the place six weeks ago came back to see it today. They would make great new tenants for the place, but I cannot understand how they could afford it with a small baby and all. Also, the suite is not the most practical if you have a baby.

I actually feel sad that there is no way for us to be warning them not to overpay for this place. The ask price has come down by two hundred dollars in the recent weeks, but is still one thousand more than what we have been paying and is definitely still six hundred bucks more than the place is worth. I hope they have done their market study and will not be paying the ridiculous ask price.

Just before we decided to go with the Plan B we did reach out to the landlord one more time inquiring if their mind had changed from having no offers from five weeks on the market. Unfortunately they were still not ready to negotiate one bit and we decided that we cannot keep waiting for them to realize their mistake, so we moved forward with our plan and will so move out.

Unless the couple that saw the place today will suddenly take it, the place will be sitting empty in beginning of May - just like we warned the landlord. Actually everything we told them in our argumentation already back in February has ended up happening, so they must realize that we were not bullshitting them at any point and that they made a mistake. Now their only two options are to a) get lucky and have some rich person show up and just take it or b) keep lowering the price and lose more money.

Neither option will help us anymore and our thoughts are already moving forward. We are very happy not to have any deadline to worry about anymore, as we can now be extending the lease on our shoebox as long as we choose to. We still want to find a new place as soon as possible (500sqf will feel small after 1634sqf and it will be sad not to have your own furniture to enjoy), but we want to find something where we can consider staying for years to come. Moving is such a pain and hassle that we don't want to be doing it again in one year!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:33 AM
See ya down under, mates

I was looking at new condos this weekend and can't believe the shit people are buying these days. e.g. no exterior windows on a "one bedroom," just a glorified studio partition. Every time we start to get tired of our dated common area decor all we have to do is remember our bedroom is twice the size of anything built since 1995, we have a real dining room, and a living room that can comfortably fit two big couches. Can't imagine what finding a rental is like, although it would be easier at your budget.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I was looking at new condos this weekend and can't believe the shit people are buying these days. e.g. no exterior windows on a "one bedroom," just a glorified studio partition. Every time we start to get tired of our dated common area decor all we have to do is remember our bedroom is twice the size of anything built since 1995, we have a real dining room, and a living room that can comfortably fit two big couches. Can't imagine what finding a rental is like, although it would be easier at your budget.
I've been out there looking as well. Klazu you are fortunate to be able to be out looking to rent as you have the luxury of shopping around. If you're buying, particularly SFH or a townhouse you pretty much have to get your offer in right after the open house, and there are multiple bids.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
It just didn't feel like that much stuff when it was all still in our 1634 sqf apartment.
You place is about the size of an older house in Vancouver. Or the size of two 800 sq ft 2 bedroom condos. And these days anything over 800 sq ft for a 2 bedroom is considered huge. Good luck with your search but I think it's gonna be tough to find something that size unless you look for a lot older building.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:15 AM

Holy moly the place we just saw! Some downsizing will be required, but this could be The One!! Fingers are crossed that we will actually get it as that would be one sweeeet place when it comes to the view.

(teaser intended)

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 7:48 PM

I guess it wasn't meant to be. Someone already living in the same building had walked up with cheques in hand and took the place in front of everyone else from the next day onwards. God, I hate things like this taking place in this city.

Meanwhile it's the first day in our temporary Yaletown shoebox. What a difference, but at least we are saving big time with every passing day...

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 8:01 PM

Quote:
I guess it wasn't meant to be. Someone already living in the same building had walked up with cheques in hand and took the place in front of everyone else from the next day onwards. God, I hate things like this taking place in this city.

Meanwhile it's the first day in our temporary Yaletown shoebox. What a difference, but at least we are saving big time with every passing day...
Were you going to buy?

Old Posted May 3, 2015, 5:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:

This one is a 2 bedroom unit and comes with air conditioning but no parking
# 713 989 NELSON ST, Downtown, Vancouver West, $317,500.00

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 3:23 AM

Thank God it is now over and we are out! The move-out was starting to become a neverending nightmare that just went on and on. The move-out inspection today was ridiculously hard and us having spent all Sunday cleaning places was not enough. Their requirement for this 14-year-old suite was it to be spotless and like new. Nothing less would do if we would like to be getting back our full deposit. We didn't want to give them a single penny extra, we did what was asked and it is now finally all done and keys have been returned.

During the inspection we also had the chance to catch up with the rental agent one more time. She was still telling how nice it would be for us to still return, but we don't want to have anything to do with them going forward.

It seems that 2.5 months on the market without any success has not discouraged them and they still think they can rent it out for big bucks. I just wonder how delusional they have to be to still think they will be able to rent it for the same ask price, although everything we warned them about has happened. The unit is empty now on and I doubt it will help that they will re-paint the walls. That was the minimum they could do, as last re-painting must have happened more than 5 years ago, likely even earlier. At least we didn't have to pay for it (which would have been totally wrong).

Some numbers to crunch. We were paying $3575/month for this suite, which was a fair price back in 2012 and we don't deny that prices have gone up since then. But their their ask was $4800 (+34,3%) from which they were prepared to come down to $4400 (+23,1%). We were ready to meet them at $4100 (+14,7%) which would have already been a quite stetch for us, but to no avail. They just kept asking more money in every single email without coming down themselves.

As per the agent "the real rental value" of this suite is $5000-5500 (+53,8%), but the landlord is so reasonable person that they are not asking that. That's of course a load of bull and we know the real value being around $4000 for suites in similar conditions, but it goes to tell how delusional they are. For that price there are already so many other options to consider that an old suite like this is just not attractive, but they seem not to understand this. As a result the suite will be empty possibly for a long period of time and they will start losing money already from June onwards. That is quite funny considering that it is all about money and maximum ROI to them and the quality of tenants or how often they will change seemed never to be any value for them.

The whole thing left a really bad taste and we don't even want to think about dealing with them ever again. The rental agent is completely clueless and and the landlord is simply greedy. They will also not go for anything else than 1 year fixed-term contract with the move-out clause, so the tenant will annually be on the hook for significant rent increases that do not follow provincial guidelines.

We don't want that kind of situation anymore and will stay away from them. If you are interested in this 45th floor suite, be aware that you will be dealing with very difficult people. The building itself is very nice and I am proud having lived there for 3 years, but it's time for something different.

Anyways, it is now over for us, but unfortunately the search will continue during this summer. I hope at the end of the day it all pays off and we find something better than what we used to have. Until then, our temporary home is a cheap 32nd floor furnished shoebox in Yaletown. EOM

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 5:19 AM

Quote:

Well at least when you do move out again, it'll be an upgrade to your Yaletown place. Now that you are not under pressure to find a place, just take your time and find the right one.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 2:19 PM

...and keep taking great pictures!

Too bad about the old place. Some people have unrealistic expectations and there's little you can do to change their mind. They simply don't operate in reality.

Sorry that you didn't find your final home yet. Can I ask what building you're in?

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner View Post
Now that you are not under pressure to find a place, just take your time and find the right one.
Yep, this is definitely a relief and we are saving a bucket load of money every passing month. Still, I would love to move to a great place in July or August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Sorry that you didn't find your final home yet. Can I ask what building you're in?
You will have to guess once I post some photos in the future.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
1: Yep, this is definitely a relief and we are saving a bucket load of money every passing month. Still, I would love to move to a great place in July or August.

2: You will have to guess once I post some photos in the future.

>>> ... if I may ask, what would your ideal place be a bit like? Highrise? A townhouse? Would you prefer to remain in downtown / west end? That's roughly a latter day Gamla Sta'n.

>>> ... That will be great to see!

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 12:21 AM

So where is Klazu temporarily living in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTiger View Post
Assuming you took that photo from your new digs... Hotel Blu?
Nope, but getting closer.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Holy moly the place we just saw! Some downsizing will be required, but this could be The One!! Fingers are crossed that we will actually get it as that would be one sweeeet place when it comes to the view.

(teaser intended)
Oh damn... You are able to afford $4,100/month rent, that's crazy... What do you do for living if I may ask?

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 2:37 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
So where is Klazu temporarily living in?

Nope, but getting closer.
You're on Beatty and Smithe?

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
...The move-out inspection today was ridiculously hard and us having spent all Sunday cleaning places was not enough. Their requirement for this 14-year-old suite was it to be spotless and like new. Nothing less would do if we would like to be getting back our full deposit. We didn't want to give them a single penny extra, we did what was asked and it is now finally all done and keys have been returned....
Reasonable wear and tear is allowed. A few nicks here and there, holes from pictures etc should not be charged for. Did you receive the place in brand new condition, even though it was a decade old when you got it? Was it spotless when you received it? A unit will never be returned in the same condition it was received, and they can't charge for normal wear and tear.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds88 View Post
Reasonable wear and tear is allowed. A few nicks here and there, holes from pictures etc should not be charged for. Did you receive the place in brand new condition, even though it was a decade old when you got it? Was it spotless when you received it? A unit will never be returned in the same condition it was received, and they can't charge for normal wear and tear.
The previous tenants were evicted and I barely remember them having vacuumed the place. It was dirty and we had to clean it before moving in. Quite a contrast to us spending a full day cleaning it. I think the agent just wanted to be an a-hole and deduct whatever she could from our deposit, but we didn't give her a penny. I am expecting our full deposit cheque being mailed to us in the next few days.

We really cared for the place as it would have been our own. It is actually quite funny how there was lots of wear and tear on the floors and doors from previous tenants, but during our 3 year tenancy I cannot recall us causing any major damage to the suite. They truly lost some great tenants with us, but it will take some time for them to realize this.

Old Posted May 10, 2015, 6:29 PM

Remember - they have 15 days to return the deposit. If they do not, the penalty is 100%, they have to pay you double.

Ron.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion