HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 11, 2018, 11:42 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheyr View Post
Please don't encourage more Portlanders to come to Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 1:15 AM
BANNED

Very nice!!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 2:15 AM

dope shots man, I really like those skyline shots.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 2:33 AM
Meh

Nice.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 11:17 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

even us clevelanders agree its the pitts!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 2:15 PM

I love seeing my city, and I recognize almost all of these streets and buildings (one is only just around the corner from my old house).

That said, it's a bit amusing because I know where the shots take place, and you're freely mixing and matching which shots are from the North Side, South Side, Lawrenceville, Downtown, East Liberty, etc. Thus there's a lot of potential context for the shots that's missing, and I can't help but wonder what an outsider who hasn't even seen the city except in photo sets like these would think in terms of "imaginary geography."

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 4:13 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I love seeing my city, and I recognize almost all of these streets and buildings (one is only just around the corner from my old house).

That said, it's a bit amusing because I know where the shots take place, and you're freely mixing and matching which shots are from the North Side, South Side, Lawrenceville, Downtown, East Liberty, etc. Thus there's a lot of potential context for the shots that's missing, and I can't help but wonder what an outsider who hasn't even seen the city except in photo sets like these would think in terms of "imaginary geography."

hmm yeah, i know exactly what you mean and i do like to separate my own photo sets into neighborhoods when i can.

that said, i do enjoy a great top shelf mixed set like this one.

not sure that one way is any better presentation than another, but its probably good a local notices and points things like that out though.

regardless, we'll take all we can get from pittsburgh, great to see it.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:01 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheyr View Post
Please don't encourage more Portlanders to come to Pittsburgh.
This.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
This.
I don't exactly know how obnoxious Portlanders can be, but if they moved their urban streetcar up there, it'd even be better.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 10:18 PM
Babylon falling

Amazing coverage for one weekend was it 2 or 3 days? You must have gotten up super early and walked 20 miles per day lol. I like some of the new stuff they have mixed in. Blue Collar urbanism really does seem to fit this city yet it doesn't seem run down. How much has Pittsburgh changed in the last 10 years?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 10:34 PM

PGH is the new PDX

Please... don't anyone ever say that again.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 10:56 PM
Posh

Great pics!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:50 AM

Amazing set! I need to get out there again soon.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:11 PM
Cascadia Rising

Great set!! Pittsburgh is such an awesome city. Love the setting, architecture, and the people. I had to work there for a few months spanning fall, winter and spring and the only thing I think I'd have a hard time getting used to is how dead/brown it looks in the winter. Very lush rest of the year though. Great city.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:02 PM

Portland is attracting people from all over. Its economy is growing as a result. Granted, there aren't enough jobs and the city has an affordability and homelessness problem. But on the whole, it's a successful city. Pittsburgh has stabilized, but it's still losing residents (albeit at a glacial pace). It certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Pittsburgh started growing like Portland. Such growth would also fuel more development and economic activity. What's wrong with that?

I thought this was an urban development forum but I'm seeing a lot of NIMBY-ish posts.

It's an unfortunate phenomenon but the fact is that successful cities are expensive and have terrible traffic while dying cities are cheap and have open roads. What do you want for YOUR city?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:05 PM

good town

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:15 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
What do you want for YOUR city?
Haven't you heard? It's posh to have a successfully unsuccessful city. If your city is too good, then you're frowned upon. But if you're like Detroit, you become the whipping boy of the nation. Pittsburgh is the Goldilocks zone that urbanist trolls can cozy up to.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Portland is attracting people from all over. Its economy is growing as a result. Granted, there aren't enough jobs and the city has an affordability and homelessness problem. But on the whole, it's a successful city. Pittsburgh has stabilized, but it's still losing residents (albeit at a glacial pace). It certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if Pittsburgh started growing like Portland. Such growth would also fuel more development and economic activity. What's wrong with that?
Some people miss the days, ten years ago, when you could buy a habitable house in a non-ghetto neighborhood for roughly $50,000.

Hell, I did that myself. But I bought in Lawrenceville, so I ended up hitting the gentrification jackpot. Younger folks ain't so lucky.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire View Post
and the only thing I think I'd have a hard time getting used to is how dead/brown it looks in the winter. Very lush rest of the year though. Great city.
yeah, the hills surround you in lush green, but they also surround you in sparse brown. It's the price you pay for living in the hills in a northern climate. It would actually be nicer in my opinion if Pittsburgh got more snow... it's quite beautiful and bright when the hills are covered in white.

Quote:

I thought this was an urban development forum but I'm seeing a lot of NIMBY-ish posts.

It's an unfortunate phenomenon but the fact is that successful cities are expensive and have terrible traffic while dying cities are cheap and have open roads. What do you want for YOUR city?
I don't want to be called a "next" Portland... that's pretty much it.

Would you like to have Philadelphia be called a "next" Phoenix?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Some people miss the days, ten years ago, when you could buy a habitable house in a non-ghetto neighborhood for roughly $50,000.

Hell, I did that myself. But I bought in Lawrenceville, so I ended up hitting the gentrification jackpot. Younger folks ain't so lucky.
Right, but it's just not a sign of a healthy city where real estate can be had for that cheap. This is best explained with street parking: Would you rather live on a street with abandoned homes and empty lots but plentiful parking?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos