HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Lets keep things real...there are so many people who dream of living in NYC. And so many people in college have aspirations of living in the DC area. IMO, Mott that I personally want to live there, but those are two great choices.
I'm not sure people "dream" of living in DC...NYC definitely, but DC, not really. IMO, the cities people dream of living in in the states are NYC, LA, SF, and Miami.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I'm not sure people "dream" of living in DC...NYC definitely, but DC, not really. IMO, the cities people dream of living in in the states are NYC, LA, SF, and Miami.
People and certainly millennials definitely dream of living in DC and changing the world

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Not being sour here, but I am sick to death about hearing HQ234 etc,,,good luck in NYC and VA, two horrific choices and even Nashville, ridiculous choice...
I'm betting real money that the bluster of these projects will never reach the heights shouted about at their fever pitch.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 11:17 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Lets keep things real...there are so many people who dream of living in NYC. And so many people in college have aspirations of living in the DC area. IMO, Mott that I personally want to live there, but those are two great choices.
For me, the pay would have to be right before I even consider those cities.

I'm not 'bout that living in a shoebox with a bunch of roommates life.

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Dec 6, 2018 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 9:54 PM
Future God

Quote:
Not being sour here, but I am sick to death about hearing HQ234 etc,,,good luck in NYC and VA, two horrific choices and even Nashville, ridiculous choice...
Hmmm... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably feel that your town would not be a horrific or ridiculous choice. How convenient!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
You're being quite sour actually.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 11:59 PM

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 8:26 AM
Closed account

So y'all remember that Apple "HQ2" thing?

Then y'all also wouldn't be surprised by their announcement. Not only will it be split between 4 different cities, but 2 of them are the usual suspects (Seattle and Austin).

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/13/appl...in-campus.html

lol.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post

Then y'all also wouldn't be surprised by their announcement. Not only will it be split between 4 different cities, but 2 of them are the usual suspects (Seattle and Austin).

lol.
Good for all the cities that have more jobs on the way. Pittsburgh has a decent robotics and medical tech scene going on. I wonder if Apple will go in near Bakery Square (where Google is located).

As for the Austin campus, and i'm sure people will kill me for turning my nose up at thousands of jobs, but I'd really only want that in Atlanta if they were to concentrate development near the urban core. The north Austin campus is already out 13 miles from downtown and they're expanding a mile nearby the existing campus. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have all those jobs in Atlanta, I just prefer creating a vibrant urban community rather than these corporate campus enclaves the tech giants keep creating.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 2:10 PM

Quote:

lol.
Somebody needs to draw a cartoon of a classroom with a teacher ( insert Hi Tech Company Name Here ) posing a question to the students in the class…There is a student on the front row labeled “Atlanta” with their hand raised high who is eager to answer the question but the teacher continues to ignore the student only to look over the student’s shoulder at all the other students. The teacher finally calls on a student from the “teacher’s pet” section where students Austin, Seattle, Boston and New York are seated (among others)!

Last edited by DNR; Dec 13, 2018 at 2:41 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Good for all the cities that have more jobs on the way. Pittsburgh has a decent robotics and medical tech scene going on. I wonder if Apple will go in near Bakery Square (where Google is located).

As for the Austin campus, and i'm sure people will kill me for turning my nose up at thousands of jobs, but I'd really only want that in Atlanta if they were to concentrate development near the urban core. The north Austin campus is already out 13 miles from downtown and they're expanding a mile nearby the existing campus. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have all those jobs in Atlanta, I just prefer creating a vibrant urban community rather than these corporate campus enclaves the tech giants keep creating.
From an Austinite: the part of Austin they're expanding in is our tech area. Apple, Samsung, Cisco, 3M, IBM, TI, Dell, Indeed, etc are all in fairly close proximity. The area has seen a lot of growth and development as a result. See The Domain for an example of what this brings in terms of urbanization.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
There is a student on the front row labeled “Atlanta” with their hand raised high who is eager to answer the question but the teacher continues to ignore the student
Is that student Casey Cagle? I think Apple and Amazon were not impressed.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 5:15 PM

Congratulations Austin. For our part - Atlanta should focus on supporting and building up successful enterprises that are already here.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Is that student Casey Cagle? I think Apple and Amazon were not impressed.
Are you suggesting that they thought Georgia was too conservative, so they selected even more conservative Tennessee and Texas ?

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 5:19 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
From an Austinite: the part of Austin they're expanding in is our tech area. Apple, Samsung, Cisco, 3M, IBM, TI, Dell, Indeed, etc are all in fairly close proximity. The area has seen a lot of growth and development as a result. See The Domain for an example of what this brings in terms of urbanization.
Greeting Ausinite. Thanks for joining the convo.

Googled "The Domain" to see what you were referring to. Yeah - Atlanta knows what that brings in terms of urbanization. See Perimeter Center, Cumberland, and to a lesser extent Buckhead - Lenox. Urbanization developed around shopping centers.

I hope the Domain goes well for Austin as it grows. But my experience with this type of development is that because it drives development away from the central core the cost of a comprehensive transit system increases significantly. You now have to connect multiple nodes rather than grow a transit system from a single node. This increases the reliance on automobile commuting. Which brings more highways, which fill up quickly, which drives new urbanization to shopping center areas further away from town and so on and so forth.

Austin's certainly got a lot going for it in terms of tech jobs and growth. And there's no reason to say because this happened in Atlanta, Austin will experience it the same way. But, my experience leaves me unimpressed with the urbanization brought by developments such as The Domain. (I just googled it so I may be way off. If so, correct me.)

Again, best of luck and great for Austin to bring in 20,000 Apple jobs and a new billion dollar development.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
I appreciate the explanation of the location! My sister in-law is from Austin, however I know very little of the metro area. It seems like Apple could make some easy wins if they developed close enough to the metrorail line two miles to the east of their existing campus at either Kramer or Howard Stations.

As mentioned, Atlanta has a handful of nodes outside the city as well. Our tech talent has been congregating around Alpharetta/John's Creek, most recently at "The Avalon" 26 miles from the city center and a major PITA to commute. Those living in the city would have to endure 2 of the worst interchanges in the country to get to their job. However, we've seen a notable uptick in tech jobs in the city lately, primarily Midtown. From an urban and transportation planning perspective, I truly hope this trend continues for Atlanta as well as Austin. Again, congrats on landing more jobs.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daharris80 View Post
Greeting Ausinite. Thanks for joining the convo.

Googled "The Domain" to see what you were referring to. Yeah - Atlanta knows what that brings in terms of urbanization. See Perimeter Center, Cumberland, and to a lesser extent Buckhead - Lenox. Urbanization developed around shopping centers.

I hope the Domain goes well for Austin as it grows. But my experience with this type of development is that because it drives development away from the central core the cost of a comprehensive transit system increases significantly. You now have to connect multiple nodes rather than grow a transit system from a single node. This increases the reliance on automobile commuting. Which brings more highways, which fill up quickly, which drives new urbanization to shopping center areas further away from town and so on and so forth.

Austin's certainly got a lot going for it in terms of tech jobs and growth. And there's no reason to say because this happened in Atlanta, Austin will experience it the same way. But, my experience leaves me unimpressed with the urbanization brought by developments such as The Domain. (I just googled it so I may be way off. If so, correct me.)

Again, best of luck and great for Austin to bring in 20,000 Apple jobs and a new billion dollar development.
Thanks for having me. I agree with you on a lot of points. My preference is always for vertical expansion over sprawl. I was also sorry to hear y'all didn't land Amazon, Atlanta seemed to check a lot of boxes.

In regards to Domain: it seems similar in a lot of ways to what CIM envisions for the Gulch? Some shopping but a much higher percentage of office/residential. It does also seem to be spurring further development in the area. See here for details on IBM's new campus: https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...mpus-released/

On the transit side this site is already on our (one lol) rail line, major bus routes, and close to two of the major highways. It's also where we look to be getting a MLS stadium/music venue. In a lot of ways we're seeing this area turn into a second downtown. As long as we can continue to keep density relatively focused in this area, I think it'll be a net benefit to Austin.

At the end of the day we're still a small(er) city, playing catch-up with you big guys!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:35 PM

the domain is like avalon on steroids (and with more modern architecture instead of the neo-traditional stuff at avalon) to me - from what i remember seeing when i visited a year or so ago. i think avalon might get closer to its size in future expansions, but avalon is also more of a greenfield development whereas avalon kind of fits into the existing grid better too...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Somebody needs to draw a cartoon of a classroom with a teacher ( insert Hi Tech Company Name Here ) posing a question to the students in the class…There is a student on the front row labeled “Atlanta” with their hand raised high who is eager to answer the question but the teacher continues to ignore the student only to look over the student’s shoulder at all the other students. The teacher finally calls on a student from the “teacher’s pet” section where students Austin, Seattle, Boston and New York are seated (among others)!

To be clear, I'm happy for Austin. It's just that these beauty pageant get old really quickly when it's the same ones who win every time. I'd rather they kept these things secret if that's how it will always play out and stop with the public announcements.

For once, it would be nice to see an underdog to win win these charades.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:59 PM

Quote:

To be clear, I'm happy for Austin. It's just that these beauty pageant get old really quickly when it's the same ones who win every time. I'd rather they kept these things secret if that's how it will always play out and stop with the public announcements.

For once, it would be nice to see an underdog to win win these charades.
I don't think Atlanta is anything close to an underdog. We're a powerhouse, clearly evidenced by recent corporate headquarter moves and expansions (especially in the tech and healthcare industries). An underdog city when it comes to chasing after corporate jobs would be something like Oklahoma City. But I agree with the poster that said Atlanta should be focusing on growing our existing companies and focusing on our urban experience rather than chasing after companies with billion dollar tax breaks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta