HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

View Poll Results: What do you think?
Amazing, do it now! 49 52.69%
Looks promising 34 36.56%
Need more information 4 4.30%
Meh 5 5.38%
Gah! 1 1.08%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 11:51 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 5:31 PM
Community Guy

Its European twin at 7:22.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSp0jIPXa5E

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 11:23 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 9:34 PM
Community Guy

Update on public art intended for Walterdale Bridge
August 24, 2022

The City of Edmonton has decided not to install artwork commissioned as part of the Walterdale Bridge replacement project.

The Buffalo and the Buffalo Fur Trader features two 13-foot bronze sculptures intended to highlight the history and impact of the fur trade in Edmonton. The City’s decision rests on the potential for the artwork to be misinterpreted as a celebration of colonization. While some audiences may find the artwork thought provoking, for others it may cause harm and induce painful memories. For this reason, it is not considered inclusive to all Edmontonians.

City Administration has directed the Edmonton Arts Council to begin the process to remove the work from the Edmonton Public Art Collection. The artwork, by artist Ken Lum, was commissioned through the City’s Percent for Art Program in 2010. The area north of the bridge, Rossdale, is an important location for the city and to Indigenous Peoples. It is protected by law as a historic cemetery/burial ground (Traditional Burial Grounds and Fort Edmonton Cemetery), and is one of the most historically rich sites in Alberta.

Throughout the process, the City and the Edmonton Arts Council are acting from the principle of “do no harm.” As previous discussions around the Government Centre LRT Station murals demonstrated, what matters is the immediate impact the artwork can have on the community.

Rossdale’s historical and cultural significance will continue to inform the City’s work over the coming years. Engagement on projects such as the River Crossing Heritage Interpretive Plan, the River Crossing Business Plan, and the Touch the Water Promenade continue today, planning for the future of Edmonton that reflects the history of the land, and its continued significance to many Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 9:54 PM
Derp

Isn't the whole point of art to be open to interpretation? Curious if there are any images of the sculpture and why the City thought it would be misinterpreted in such a way

Might as well remove the Fort from Fort Edmonton Park, since you know, it can be misinterpreted as a nod to colonization and we need to do our best to erase history and pretend it didn't happen...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 10:22 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 10:34 PM
Derp

Thanks for the link, would've been nice to have seen this installed as planned

Old Posted Sep 5, 2022, 4:27 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 7:20 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 7:49 AM

Great bridge for really changing the 'face' of the city. But I will forever struggle to get past those connector plates that ruin the sleek design of the arches.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 2:22 AM
Community Guy

Clap
clap

clap
---

Walterdale Bridge public art update
February 24, 2023

The purpose of this statement is to clarify our previous statement on this matter and provide an update on the future of this artwork.

On August 24, 2022, the City of Edmonton announced its decision not to install artist Ken Lum’s The Buffalo and the Buffalo Fur Trader, two bronze sculptures commissioned by the City over a decade ago as part of the Walterdale Bridge project. The decision was based on ‘potential misinterpretation’ that the work could be seen to ‘celebrate colonialism’ and may therefore cause harm.

In making the decision, the City looked to its Indigenous Framework adopted in 2021. The Framework was informed by significant engagement with Indigenous communities, to understand if the Walterdale Bridge placement was consistent with our commitments to be a listener, connector, advocate and partner. The artist was not involved in this work, or in the evolution of our work with Indigenous communities.

The City did not intend to impugn Mr. Lum’s reputation. The August 24, 2022 news release referenced the removed Government Station LRT murals, implying by association that Mr. Lum’s piece was ‘pro-colonist’ and this is an unfair and regrettable comparison. Ken Lum is a highly respected and eminent Canadian-born artist, writer and academic of Chinese descent, and has made a career of confronting issues of racism and oppression in his art practice. He founded an organization, Monument Lab, devoted to discussing and understanding the legacy of public monuments. The City apologizes for any unintended harm to Mr. Lum’s stellar reputation.

Art should foster discussion and often must address issues that are uncomfortable. We appreciate that Mr. Lum has worked with the City to transfer ownership of the artwork from the municipal public art collection. The artwork will be installed in an alternate location of Mr. Lum’s choosing.
Media contact:
Carol Hurst
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
587-987-7166

Old Posted Jul 2, 2023, 10:52 PM
Community Guy

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton