HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectCondor View Post
Yes thats exactly what I would prefer. I am uneasy with the way that part of the city and its community was sacrificed for a Hockey arena. Now the city has an opportunity to heal some of those wounds, and shirked that to give a hockey team control of its development. Changing its name is the final erasure of its ties to its past in the name of corporate development. also "The Hill" as a name isn't wanted because of the connotation of the former black community and you cant tell me that changing that to make white people more comfortable isn't messed up.
This. I can't believe this stuff is STILL happening. You'd think that developers would have learned at this point. These projects have so much money involved in them, it's insane to me that these types of things are still getting overlooked.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The destruction of the Lower Hill will always be a tragedy. And I, for one, will probably follow the ways of my adopted city and always CALL it the Lower Hill, no matter what BS name they put on the development.

And I also would have designed a very different replacement, much closer to what was lost. But to be fair, what actually happened with the design was not just because of the Penguins, it was also because of all sorts of community input.

So in the end--as long as this gets built up with enough density of use, and maybe some decent street-level feel along Centre, fine. The middle is going to be a strange scooped out public space thing, but that's what the community wanted.
Yeah, good points. This redevelopment was never going to satisfy everyone, regardless of the final design. To me, both the local community and the Penguins certainly hampered what I would consider to be a far superior re-imagining of the site (i.e., a more densely-developed tract of 15-20 square blocks or so with a fully reconnected street grid featuring 5 avenues -- including Centre and Bedford -- and 6 cross streets -- including Washington Pl and Crawford -- that would be permitted to develop more organically by multiple parties). But obviously, that idea is in opposition to community desires for open space/views/"suburban" feel and to the Penguins/master developer top-down plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
This. I can't believe this stuff is STILL happening. You'd think that developers would have learned at this point. These projects have so much money involved in them, it's insane to me that these types of things are still getting overlooked.
Developers know exactly what they're doing -- they're not trying to learn anything and nothing is being overlooked. Re-naming schemes like this are the direct result of these projects having so much money involved in them.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
(i.e., a more densely-developed tract of 15-20 square blocks or so with a fully reconnected street grid featuring 5 avenues -- including Centre and Bedford -- and 6 cross streets -- including Washington Pl and Crawford -- that would be permitted to develop more organically by multiple parties).
That would have been great. Oh well.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 12:16 PM

An article highlighting BA's new London to Pittsburgh route.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/a...-tech-hub.html

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:16 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Darlene Harris is out as council woman. Bobby Wilson, my neighbor from about a block down won! He seemed like a pretty smart guy when he was canvasing the neighborhood and I was able to talk to him.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 2:17 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
r.i.p.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 4:19 AM

Bye

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:06 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

I never liked Darlene, but she was one of the few who gave push back to the mayor. And that can be a good thing at times. Hope this new man works out.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:23 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post
I never liked Darlene, but she was one of the few who gave push back to the mayor. And that can be a good thing at times. Hope this new man works out.
Same here. It's always nice to have fresh people provide fresh insight and ideas. That said, hopefully this newcomer won't have some of the same old-timer yinzer traits that are keeping this city stuck several decades in the past...

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviderik View Post
Though her style of "push back" to the mayor was only attempting to be a thorn in his side regardless of the issue. Basically, anything that did not deal with a north side resident's complaint about trash pickup or something like that, she was against for the sake of being against it. She doesn't know any better. That's not just a figure of speech... she legitimately does not know any better.

There's nothing wrong with an informed contrarian point of view in politics... but Darlene lacks the "informed" part... often embarrassingly so. And I'm being overly generous in choosing my words to describe her here.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Though her style of "push back" to the mayor was only attempting to be a thorn in his side regardless of the issue. Basically, anything that did not deal with a north side resident's complaint about trash pickup or something like that, she was against for the sake of being against it. She doesn't know any better. That's not just a figure of speech... she legitimately does not know any better.

There's nothing wrong with an informed contrarian point of view in politics... but Darlene lacks the "informed" part... often embarrassingly so. And I'm being overly generous in choosing my words to describe her here.
I don't live on the Northside, but know people who do and have worked with the mayor/city council, and they did not like Darlene or dealing with her at all.

They basically said she was a pain in the ass just for the hell of it if Peduto was involved in something or pushing for it. Hopefully Bobby Wilson can help the North Side neighborhoods live up to their potential.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 7:27 PM

Right now, a lot of yinz are making me wish this forum had a like page.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Same here. It's always nice to have fresh people provide fresh insight and ideas. That said, hopefully this newcomer won't have some of the same old-timer yinzer traits that are keeping this city stuck several decades in the past...
She sure loved living in the past. Happy she's gone.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 3:14 PM

I'm all for the vigorous competition of ideas and challenging those in power to do better. But there HAS to be a more productive way of doing that in the City of Pittsburgh than Harris.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 8:16 PM
Ex Houstonian

I don't know much about her, what was so bad about her? Was she just a simpleton Yinzer that still thought we live in 1989?

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I don't know much about her, what was so bad about her? Was she just a simpleton Yinzer that still thought we live in 1989?
Basically, and she just was combative with whatever Peduto wanted to do and in turn it not helping the North Side live up to its potential. She was able to win though before because she was able to get things don't at the micro level, but after 12 years, it was time for a change.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:32 AM

She is also a mentally challenged and highly paranoid and vindictive person.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 2:05 AM

In trying to move away from the political talk here, The Venue Apartments in Downtown have placed some cool looking banners to cover up the parking structure portion of the building. Here are some of the photos I took...

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 11:25 AM
Hell with the Lid Off.

^I remember reading about that mural of famous Pittsburghers and being disappointed Gene Kelly wasn't among the group they picked. But it looks pretty cool. Did they also change the windows out on the top? It looks better!

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:15 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
She is also a mentally challenged and highly paranoid and vindictive person.
You talk as if you know her personally. It's really sad society imposing their ignorant opinion about a person they know little of.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations