HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:22 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I like the massing but it appears to have really small windows. In Vancouver, especially in the winter months it can get pretty dark and dreary. It wouldn't take much to ad more.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:53 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
River Crossing designed as 'a place to be, not just a place to pass through'
CBC News · Posted: May 23, 2019 10:03 AM MT

The City of Edmonton has unveiled redevelopment plans for the west part of Rossdale, including a promenade along the river and repurposing the power plant.

The goal of the River Crossing project is to create "a place to be, not just a place to pass through," said Erik Backstrom, a senior planner with the city.

Final draft images of the potential future design for the area were on display at an open house Wednesday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...ment-1.5146420

Looks like Telus Field is staying

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Without a pro team to play in it and pay the bills, you have to wonder how long that can last. It's almost 25 years old, probably getting to the point where maintenance and renovation costs are starting to add up.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 7:11 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post

A handsome 14-storey mixed use rental (incl. affordable rental) project is making its way through public consultation in Vancouver. It will be in close vicinity (<100m) to a planned future SkyTrain Station on the UBC extension of the Millennium Line.

The developer is Westbank and while the site is already rezoned for mixed-use residential, they are pursuing an amendment to increase height and density. The previous rezoning occurred prior to approval and funding of the first stage of the SkyTrain Millennium Line and the approval (funding pending) of the second phase to UBC.

It is also pursuing the zoning amendment to participate the City's Moderate Income Rental Housing pilot program for those with household incomes under $80k. FAQ about the program.

https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/0...unity-context/
That looks really dang cool!

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 7:17 PM
Community Guy

Water treatment plant stays, but it does include the old power plant...

http://www.dialogdesign.ca/wp-conten...-edmonton1.jpg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 11:33 PM
As seen on SSC ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm a firm believer in community consultation because the potential is there for an idea to pop that a professional would never consider. It's often from the oposing side.

The design for the addition keeps improving. I don't know if its a reaction to community consultation. My point is the longer this process continues, the more likely the design will get even better.

I like the look of the expansion. I don't like the idea of the expansion. The more separation between old and new, the better. The three storey connecting structure between old and new is too visible.

P.S. Hmmm, I may have just repeated myself word for word.
I have mixed feelings about combining old and new. On one hand seeing an uninterrupted collection of buildings from another era is a rare and immersive experience in many newer - and even some older - countries. But on the other hand i often love to see the old and new juxtaposed and when i'm in areas with strictly one of the other, I find myself missing the absent element as much as I'm enjoying the one that's present. I'm often critical of "facadism" type schemes, but that's mostly because the old is largely destroyed with only some small element left as a token. But in cases where the old is retained with something new added to it or built nearby that doesn't bother me as long as the new element is of equally good quality. The problem of course is that there are people who will never consider any modern style to be as high of quality as an ornate historic vernacular and therefore would consider such a caveat to be impossible to satisfy.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
So this view......

https://twitter.com/JonathanWilling/...80828998410242

Vs this view....... No wonder why people are upset.

source: https://mapio.net/images
Will someone please fire the architect.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 2:08 AM

^^ why chateau laurier.. why? Leave it alone!! why ruin it?

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 9:00 AM
ARTchitecture

Yikes. Yeah, why is this proposal so persistent? I get that it's a popular hotel, but why can't they just let well enough alone?

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:35 PM

What an ugly and monstrous F U to the original structure!

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:40 PM

409 Huron Street Student Rental next to U of T.

source: http://urbantoronto.ca

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post

A handsome 14-storey mixed use rental (incl. affordable rental) project is making its way through public consultation in Vancouver. It will be in close vicinity (<100m) to a planned future SkyTrain Station on the UBC extension of the Millennium Line.

The developer is Westbank and while the site is already rezoned for mixed-use residential, they are pursuing an amendment to increase height and density. The previous rezoning occurred prior to approval and funding of the first stage of the SkyTrain Millennium Line and the approval (funding pending) of the second phase to UBC.

It is also pursuing the zoning amendment to participate the City's Moderate Income Rental Housing pilot program for those with household incomes under $80k. FAQ about the program.

https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/0...unity-context/
I love it!

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 3:44 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I would like it to, but as mentioned, it needs to be viable and that plan is in the works...plus, it could be removed and made a developable parcel later on.

Here's hoping we can get creative.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Will someone please fire the architect.
Burn them at the stake!

If the Fairmont really wants to add rooms/revenue, they can build a glass box across the street with an underground connection.

Then again, I don't know the city that well so I really don't know if there is anything sensitive across the street .

But they can totally find a new location. Destroying beautiful heritage is unacceptable! And this is coming from a guy that wants a collection of 200+ floors in downtown Vancouver.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 6:49 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Yikes. Yeah, why is this proposal so persistent? I get that it's a popular hotel, but why can't they just let well enough alone?
Makes one think of that old saying: 'barbarians at the gate'. People who have no appreciation for history, culture, architecture have no qualms about destroying it. We see the same thing done repeatedly all over the world. It's for the rest us to try and protect it from them.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 6:54 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Without a pro team to play in it and pay the bills, you have to wonder how long that can last. It's almost 25 years old, probably getting to the point where maintenance and renovation costs are starting to add up.
Would be a nice spot for a MLB stadium one day. Edmonton's been growing rapidly for about a century; 14% growth 2011-2016. Another 30 years of similar growth and Edmonton will become a viable market. One could say the same thing about Calgary. It may feel like pie in the sky today, but in 30 years both will likely be in the top 30 metros in Canada/US. For comparison's sake, Milwaukee (1,576,113) is currently the smallest MLB market.

Edmonton CMA

2018: 1,420,916
2023: 1,619,844
2028: 1,846,622
2033: 2,105,150
2038: 2,399,871
2043: 2,735,852
2048: 3,118,872

Last edited by isaidso; May 26, 2019 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 7:57 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I would like it to, but as mentioned, it needs to be viable and that plan is in the works...plus, it could be removed and made a developable parcel later on.

Here's hoping we can get creative.
Just need to fix that artificial infield.

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 8:05 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Would be a nice spot for a MLB stadium one day. Edmonton's been growing rapidly for about a century; 14% growth 2011-2016. Another 30 years of similar growth and Edmonton will become a viable market. One could say the same thing about Calgary. It may feel like pie in the sky today, but in 30 years both will likely be in the top 30 metros in Canada/US. For comparison's sake, Milwaukee (1,576,113) is currently the smallest MLB market.

Edmonton CMA

There is absolutely no way that either Calgary or Edmonton will be over 3 million by 2048. I can't even imagine what sources you're using for those numbers. The Government of Alberta population projections (medium scenario) for 2041 have Edmonton around 1.9 million and Calgary around 2.1. Though I haven't seen the most recent reports (the province does one yearly).

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 10:05 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Burn them at the stake!

If the Fairmont really wants to add rooms/revenue, they can build a glass box across the street with an underground connection.

Then again, I don't know the city that well so I really don't know if there is anything sensitive across the street .

But they can totally find a new location. Destroying beautiful heritage is unacceptable! And this is coming from a guy that wants a collection of 200+ floors in downtown Vancouver.
They aren't destroying a heritage structure through blocking the ass end view of the hotel. I'm a supporter of reducing the height of the new structure by a floor or two too. I would also like no visible connections between old and new. The new structure is better than the ugly ass parking.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Edmonton CMA

Apples and oranges, but Milwaukee's combined Metropolitan statistical area has a population of 2.05 million currently. This includes suburbs like Waukesha and Racine which are only 25 km from downtown Milwaukee.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada