HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
In case you missed it the first time
Agreed.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Agreed.
I was responding to some guy's question about potential transit options. If you're going to be like that, I'm not the only one who should be kicked.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 10:52 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
I was responding to some guy's question about potential transit options. If you're going to be like that, I'm not the only one who should be kicked.
You've posted about 10 times in this thread and EVERY SINGLE ONE has been off-topic. Just post in the correct places already. People check this thread for north shore Hwy 1 news and discussion.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Refresher on what they had on mind with the new Dollarton onramp

Ministry of Transportation
Quote:
The previous article posted has been expanded with more quotes etc.

http://prod-admin1.glacier.atex.cniw...nge%202017.pdf
Quote:
New PDF from the upcoming info sessions with lots of new stuff: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/dri...170220-web.pdf

there we go. now i can see what the changes look like. i have to say they should probably help a fair amount. interesting that they found away to keep the old orange bridge.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 3:38 AM

They "officially" started construction on Phase 1 today.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 5:32 PM
See ya down under, mates

Mountain hwy interchange progress from today. Looking north from Keith and Brooksbank:

Mountain Hwy interchange, North Vancouver by chrisjohann, on Flickr

This was all forest a few months ago. Sucks to be that home owner on the left.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:32 AM

great mini update.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 6:59 AM

I have to say I'm slightly confused as to the purpose/benefit of having the extra long collector roads, with bridges over Lynn Creek. They seem to add a lot of cost for little benefit. Maybe there's something I'm missing?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 7:15 AM
perhaps . . .

The removal of interfering traffic from the highway.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 1:19 PM
See ya down under, mates

Yep, it is currently very difficult to go east-west across the north shore without getting into the near-permanent traffic jam at the bridge bottleneck. The new interchange will change that, and also allow a longer stretch of fast movement for those of us around central-lower Lonsdale.

It won't be a life changer for those going across the north shore on the highway, except for getting local traffic removed.

Last edited by Pinion; Jul 20, 2017 at 1:36 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:10 AM

Stumbled upon this recent interesting tidbit from AE Engineering re: the new Mountain Highway interchange, Hwy 1, etc.:

Quote:
Design Manager, Ron Gratz, tells us, “One of our challenges was to develop a design which accommodates future widening of Highway 1, an eastbound on-ramp, and other traffic movements, which will be implemented in subsequent phases of the Lower Lynn interchange improvements.”

To determine the future requirements, a future/ultimate interchange geometric and laning design concept was developed based on high-level conceptual options provided by the Ministry. The new five-lane Mountain Highway Underpass includes provisions to accommodate the addition of a future southbound to eastbound left-turn lane and future six-laning of Highway 1.
https://www.ae.ca/blog_post.php?bid=50

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 4:57 AM
See ya down under, mates

Thanks for that... relieved it'll still be possible, but it should be done now. Even just this summer traffic has been noticeably worse than it was previously. Summer's supposed to be better for traffic usually.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 3:14 PM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 5:12 AM

Updated overview map from the project website here, I'm unable to find a jpeg.

Gives better detail to the final phase of rebuilding the Main St/Dollarton interchange, no changes to the other phases that I can see.

Of note:
-Signal on Highway 1 NB off ramp (two lanes) to WB Dollarton/Main St.
-WB Dollarton on ramp to Highway 1 SB either adds the third lane or forms a collector lane.
-Signal on WB Dollarton to Highway 1 SB on ramp for buses from Phibbs Exchange.
-Signal for metering EB Main to Highway 1 SB on ramp joining the collector lane from WB Dollarton.

Last edited by madog222; Apr 14, 2018 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 1:39 PM
See ya down under, mates

Last edited by Pinion; Apr 18, 2018 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 4:31 PM

Oh, the Crown St. pedestrian/cyclist overpass is gone.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:48 PM

It's nice to see they're moving along with the development. I do have concerns over the alignment of the westbound on- and off-ramps between Mountain Highway and Mount Seymour Parkway. The new westbound collector road has a section where two streams of traffic will be crossing each other. Westbound vehicles from the Mount Seymour Parkway/Lillooet Road intersection will be moving left to get onto the highway while westbound traffic exiting Highway 1 will be moving to the right to get to Mountain Highway. I'd suggest that perhaps the off-ramp should be tunnelled under the collector road so that its traffic is merging from the right rather than the left side of the collector road.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 11:41 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
It's nice to see they're moving along with the development. I do have concerns over the alignment of the westbound on- and off-ramps between Mountain Highway and Mount Seymour Parkway. The new westbound collector road has a section where two streams of traffic will be crossing each other. Westbound vehicles from the Mount Seymour Parkway/Lillooet Road intersection will be moving left to get onto the highway while westbound traffic exiting Highway 1 will be moving to the right to get to Mountain Highway. I'd suggest that perhaps the off-ramp should be tunnelled under the collector road so that its traffic is merging from the right rather than the left side of the collector road.
This is true, however the current situation is much much worse, so this would be a big improvement. If traffic is flowing properly it should be ok. The length of the lane is pretty damn long so no one should really in a huge rush to merge with thru-traffic so I think it will work ok. The speeds should be lower as an onramp/offramp.

I echo concerns of Main St eastbound -> Ironworkers southbound traffic sharing a merge lane with that of Dollarton westbound -> Ironworkers southbound traffic as I think it's bound to back things up further onto Main Street, despite the fact that it looks like they've expanded the merge lanes to 3 from the current 2. Some sort of separation of traffic into eastbound/southbound would be nice there so people are actually able to get from one side of the Ironworkers to the other without getting caught up in the bridge traffic although I'm not sure there is a good way to do that.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:47 PM
ON3P Skis

I went to the open house last night but was carrying my 1 year old kid so couldn't spend much time there or take any photos.

The southbound merge from Main St/Dollarton will have alternating lights to ensure that the 3rd lane soundbound isn't a shitshow. Not sure that the 3 merge lanes coming from Main Street are going to be sufficient though and there will surely be backups on Main Street. Hopefully they aren't worse than they are now. The loop to Main St westbound for traffic coming northbound over the bridge will be getting a light to better facilitate cyclists coming north over the bridge and heading west.

The Mountain Hwy interchange is pretty well thought out and I think will be a massive improvement. The long on/offramps and elimination of the Mt. Seymour Parkway exit for southbound traffic down the cut will definitely help. The freeflow flyover to connect with Mt. Seymour Parkway is nowhere to be seen, and while that'd be nice to have it's obviously an extremely costly item and we should be pretty happy with what we're getting here.

The plan also includes connecting or re-connecting a lot of the trails around Lynn Creek although still not much to improve cycling connections around Main Street-Dollarton (which must be one of the worst sections on all of the North Shore).

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:50 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure