HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 4:23 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Cheap Accomadations in Vancouver?

Hello all. I'm hoping to visit Vancouver this spring and was wondering if anyone had any advice for where to stay. I will be checking out different websites and whatnot, but figured some local opinions wouldn't hurt.

I'm a student, so my budget is very limited (I was thinking a hostel or bed-and-breakfast might be the best plan).

Thanks for your time.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 5:27 PM
Vancouver User

Your thoughts are probably right; hostel or BnB. You could also check AirBNB for a private room or The Burrard if you want a decent, affordable hotel in town.

You could also try priceline and bid for accommodation... use www.betterbidding.com to educate yourself on what bid in what category will likely succeed and what hotel you may get.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Hello all. I'm hoping to visit Vancouver this spring and was wondering if anyone had any advice for where to stay. I will be checking out different websites and whatnot, but figured some local opinions wouldn't hurt.

I'm a student, so my budget is very limited (I was thinking a hostel or bed-and-breakfast might be the best plan).

Thanks for your time.
I do know UBC student residences (Place Vanier, Totem Park, Gage Towers) offer discounted accommodation for visiting students in the holidays (Starting May when all the young UBC students go home). You have to check their website or call them to get the details. Only thing is that you will have to bus out from UBC to visit other parts.

I remember I did the same thing in Ottawa back in the days when I was a college student, staying at University of Ottawa's dorm, which was awesome as it was right downtown. Thing was, my buddies and I drove into Ottawa at 1am and couldn't find a good priced accommodation, but decided to check out the U dorm and it cost us next to nothing (But it was back then).

If you need to be downtown Vancouver, and not too picky about the luxuries, then check out Hostelling International. I believe they have 2 locations downtown.
One of them here:
HI-Vancouver Downtown
1114 Burnaby Street
Vancouver, British Columbia V6E1P1
http://www.hihostels.ca/westerncanad...owntown.hostel

Hope you find the right place to stay and I'm actually giving you lowest spectrum of accommodations here that I know of.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 10:07 PM

There's also the YWCA residence right across from BC Place Stadium

http://www.ywcavan.org/hotel

Room rates:
http://www.ywcavan.org/hotel/rooms

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 10:50 PM

there are two hostels on granville street, HI granville and samesun - they are across the street from each other - compared to the other hostels these two will be loud as its granville aka party street

the HI one posted above on burnaby street is in the west end and is a great location and quieter area just a block or so from davie street, if I had to choose one i would go there

there is also an HI at jericho beach but its only open in the summer, I think it opens in may, transit can be less frequent to get there but its right by the beach

there is a hostel on main street near the train station from what i have heard its the one to avoid, i don't know the name off the top of my head, the area isn't that bad but the accomodations are really not great apparently

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 10:58 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Thanks to all those who've commented, and a minor question, but is Victoria cheaper? I wasn't sure if spending a night there would be good planning.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:46 PM

Arrow here's a great little place .....

I've crashed there when making visits back to the city.
The staff are all super-helpful and friendly, it's clean, and has a pleasant atmosphere.

The C & N Backpackers Hostel on Main Street in Vancouver, near Main Street metro station.

The link (unless that involves some legal problem; conflict of interest or such)....

https://www.cnnbackpackers.com/vanco...-main-street-2

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks to all those who've commented, and a minor question, but is Victoria cheaper? I wasn't sure if spending a night there would be good planning.
Pardon the dual response, but it is a charming and beautiful city worth visiting (hey, where are you from, may I ask)? The ferry trip (on a sunny day) from
near Vancouiver at Tsawassen, to the terminal just north of Victoria goes through some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere, and Victoria has fantastic parks, gardens,
sightseeing, and a not-to-bemissed-if-possible Provincial Museum.
Here's another link that might be useful (am I alowed to do this)?

http://www.hostels.com/victoria/canada

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 12:02 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Pardon the dual response, but it is a charming and beautiful city worth visiting (hey, where are you from, may I ask)? The ferry trip (on a sunny day) from
near Vancouiver at Tsawassen, to the terminal just north of Victoria goes through some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere, and Victoria has fantastic parks, gardens,
sightseeing, and a not-to-bemissed-if-possible Provincial Museum.
Here's another link that might be useful (am I alowed to do this)?

http://www.hostels.com/victoria/canada
I'm living in Ontario right now. I'm planning a tour of western Canada by bus. Unfortunately while most of them are a night apart getting to BC is a bit of a trip and Victoria needs me to spend at least one night if not two out there.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:22 AM

Quote:
For Victoria, check out Ocean Island Inn. I've stayed a few times and it is a well run hostel:

http://oceanisland.com/

Dorm rooms are about $30/night and single rooms $40/night. Definitely worth a trip to check out Victoria. The ferry is accessible via public transit on either side and costs about $14 for walk-on.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 12:21 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 View Post
For Victoria, check out Ocean Island Inn. I've stayed a few times and it is a well run hostel:

http://oceanisland.com/

Dorm rooms are about $30/night and single rooms $40/night. Definitely worth a trip to check out Victoria. The ferry is accessible via public transit on either side and costs about $14 for walk-on.
Thanks for the price. I actually had been unable to find out how much the ferry was.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 11:38 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Just curious, what are the odds of fog issues for Vancouver to Victoria? I'm just on a somewhat tight scheduling plans so want to make sure. I'm guessing since it's pretty reliable.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Just curious, what are the odds of fog issues for Vancouver to Victoria? I'm just on a somewhat tight scheduling plans so want to make sure. I'm guessing since it's pretty reliable.
In summer, if you're flying between the 2 cities, virtually none. It could rain, but that won't hold up your flight.
Fog issues only happen in these parts in the autumn, during periods of sunny cool weather. It sometimes burns off in the day, but comes rolling back at night from the ocean.

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 4:00 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
In summer, if you're flying between the 2 cities, virtually none. It could rain, but that won't hold up your flight.
Fog issues only happen in these parts in the autumn, during periods of sunny cool weather. It sometimes burns off in the day, but comes rolling back at night from the ocean.
I was going to take the ferry. Planes are too expensive. (Do people seriously fly? Based off airport locations that's almost like flying from Hamilton to Toronto!

Old Posted May 2, 2015, 5:14 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Some people take float planes from the small downtown Vancouver airport direct to Victoria or Nanaimo. Most people take ferries.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion