HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Park Michigan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 8:42 PM
tilted & shifted

^Can you PLEASE stop bumping old threads and asking if there's any new info? If any such info existed, trust me, people would have posted it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:34 AM
THAT Guy

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...55&TM=84799.55

Old YWCA is crumbling
City takes developer into circuit court

By MICAH MAIDENBERG

The Young Woman's Christian Association building at 830 S. Michigan has some unique characteristics among the structures on the historic boulevard.

...Carroll said the foreclosure suit is being worked out and that 830 S. Michigan "is still a development site. The market is slow. Right now, we're sitting on the property."

"When we go to market with building depends on market itself," he said.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 4:07 AM

^ an excellent post as usual, spyguy. I hope that Renaissant is banned from developing in this city ever again- they are responsible for a failing development to the south (1000 s- a parking lot on michigan ave across from the park!), and this abominable eyesore embarassment. They have proven to be nothing but incompetent, unworthy, and downright sleezy. Another, more capable and proven developer I'm sure would love to take over this project, which has a fantastic design, fantastic location, and would have views that could rival nearly any building in the city. A shame that amateurs from oak brook were even allowed to pursue something this far above their capability- on michigan ave no less!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 1:37 PM

^I would like to see Enterprise Development (the developers of Central Station) to buy this property. Seeing as they already have a hard-on for Pappageorge/Haymes who were also the designers of the tower for 830 S. Michigan, it would be a perfect fit.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 6:16 PM

Yes I agree, the Central Station Developers seem to really know what theyre doing. We need a project of this scale to go up in that location so you need to have people who know what theyre doing accomplish that task. So Park 1000 is dead as well or just "still on hold"? Cause I thought they had over 60% of those units sold or something like that! I hope someone who knows what theyre doing takes over both projects and makes them happen!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 6:52 PM

looks just like waterview except with a different material. aka glass

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
^I would like to see Enterprise Development (the developers of Central Station) to buy this property. Seeing as they already have a hard-on for Pappageorge/Haymes who were also the designers of the tower for 830 S. Michigan, it would be a perfect fit.
Good idea. Enterprise has some very good people. Also that way P/H might get the money that they're owed by the current developer.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 3:47 PM

Hopefully this will still proceed as designed under a new developer...

http://www.830michigansite.com/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 11:41 PM

Good news???

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 12:52 AM

So Renaissant is selling out then? Good.
Enterprise Development would be perfect to buy this. Since this is already designed and GP4 is still a placeholder, I humbly suggest they do this first, then do GP4.
Hell, do this before GP3.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 4:18 AM
Ex Houstonian

Too bad about this tower. It was one of my favs. It would have really brought the skyline together too. Theres a huge gap now from One Museum Park to the Sears Tower. I have faith though that someone will come along build something good at this site eventually.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:14 PM

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder19.article

Developer Warren Barr gives up on 830 S. Michigan high-rise
REAL ESTATE | Market put S. Michigan tower in limbo, Barr says
November 19, 2008

DAVID ROEDER droeder@suntimes.com

Developer Warren Barr has sold property at 830 S. Michigan where he had proposed building this 80-story condo tower (left). Donald Trump is battling with lenders for a payment extension over his 401 N. Wabash building, likening the financial crisis to a natural disaster. (AP)

Condo developer Warren Barr is grievously disappointed that he can't pursue a project that was to be his mark on the skyline. But he can be thankful he is exiting the deal financially intact.

Barr has sold property at 830 S. Michigan where he planned an 80-story building. The financial crisis and overbuilt housing market have rendered those plans moot for probably at least three years, so Barr concluded now was the time to get out. "I really wanted to do this building, but the market today just makes it impossible," he said.

An insider said the property sold for around $18 million. Records show Barr acquired the piece in August 2007 for $13 million. Earlier this year, Barr fended off a foreclosure attempt. Counting costs for architectural work and navigating the project through the zoning process, Barr should have some cash left from the aborted venture.

Barr, president of Renaissant Development Group LLC in Oak Brook, declined to discuss terms of the sale. The buyer was Michigan 830 LLC, which lists in public records its registered agent as attorney Matthew Miller of the law firm Much Shelist. Miller did not return calls.

It's not known if the buyers plan to pursue the same project for which Barr got zoning approval. It called for a slender high-rise designed by Pappageorge/Haymes Ltd. to arise behind a 19th century YWCA that would have been preserved for the sake of the historic Michigan Avenue streetwall. The tower would have been the city's tallest building south of Van Buren.

Barr said he's still trying to hold together plans for a 40-story condo building at 1000 S. Michigan. It also went to foreclosure. "We're trying to work through a couple of options there," he said.

Last edited by BVictor1; Nov 19, 2008 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder19.article

Developer Warren Barr gives up on 830 S. Michigan high-rise
What a shocker! The guy couldn't even make progress on a smaller building with a prime Michigan Avenue address with more than 50% units sold at the height of the "boom." No way in hell this 80 story beauty was going forward. Hopefully a more seasoned developer (maybe the folks behind the Heritage and Legacy) can pick up the ball when the market bounces back...

Old Posted Nov 19, 2008, 9:48 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=31880
Quote:
Condo market thumps 2 South Loop tower plans

(Crain’s) — The calamitous condominium market has toppled plans for two ambitious high-rises proposed by developer Warren Barr for South Michigan Avenue.

Mr. Barr last week sold the site at 830 S. Michigan Ave. for $17.55 million, about $1 million less than he owed his lenders on the project, which was hit with a foreclosure lawsuit early this year. The buyer’s identity couldn’t be determined.

Just south at 1000 S. Michigan Ave., which is still in foreclosure, Mr. Barr confirms he has begun returning “some deposits” of earnest money to condo buyers. He declines further comment on the 40-story project, saying: “We’re still trying to figure out what makes the most sense for that property.”

The project at 830 S. Michigan Ave., about three blocks south of Congress Parkway, was to be 80 stories tall with 376 condos. At 855 feet, it would have been the tallest tower in the burgeoning South Loop. Mr. Barr and his firm Oak Brook-based Renaissant Development Group LLC were among the cadre of developers fueling the area’s growth in recent years.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 10:21 PM

The only objection I have is to the top section of the tower.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2008, 8:20 AM

Is this project still on? I still see advertisement up on the parking lot?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2008, 2:12 PM

The property has transferred ownership. No idea of the buyers' intent.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive