HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Park Michigan in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 4:44 AM

Here is the rundown from tonight's meeting...

Forum screw up, don't ask and see below....

Last edited by Chicago Shawn; Jun 30, 2006 at 5:10 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 4:55 AM

Edit: Posted, then removed photo. Victor's is much better! See below.

Last edited by Loopy; Jun 30, 2006 at 5:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 4:56 AM

I read on SSC that there were lots of pictures, drawings, renderings and such. How did the tower look? Im guessing it was in better detail than what we have now?

Anyway, its great to hear that the meeting went as well as it did. I was definitely not expecting to hear that the alderman was supporting the project given her previous behavior. Im really anxious to see things in greater detail on this project in the future.

I wish Peter Ziv would go somewhere and sit the hell down. He's made a name for himself as THE ultimate NIMBY.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 4:59 AM

Ah, thanks Loopy.

I have to ask this question again: Going by what youve seen in person, is the roofline sloped? Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

This project will be all about the materials used. Its design is simple but not boring.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 5:01 AM

Here's a photo of the rendering that I took tonight. I am supposed to be getting some better rendering from the PR firm in the near future.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 5:02 AM

The sloped roof perception is just a result of the vanishing point from which the rendering was done from.

The roof is quite flat.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy
The sloped roof perception is just a result of the vanishing point from which the rendering was done from.

The roof is quite flat.
Thanks. Thats what I thought but it never hurts to ask questions to be sure, you know?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 5:10 AM

Here is the rundown from tonight's meeting...

The meeting went extremly well, with a presentation that showed the building is well within existing zoning for the site:

Allowed under existing DX-12 Zoning.....Proposed
376 units total..........................................376 Residential units

Height on Michigan Avenue- 425 feet ...........120 feet total, Current YWCA is 83

Height on Wabash- Unlimited ......................866' total for the tower

207 Parking Spaces minimum.......................404 spaces,
None required for commercial space............. plus 75 underground spaces

5 loading births required .........................6 planned, one large enough to hold a semi trailor

The second through 10th floors will form a bridge over the existing alley, which is a private alley owned by adjacent landowners. The alley will remian open to through traffic even though it does not have to be.

There will be a lush roof garden at the 11th floor setback. It will serve as the ammenity deck for residents and have an indoor and out door pool.

The tower will only have 8,000 square foot floor plates, with only 6 units per floor, which drops to 5, 4, 3, and 2 units per floor as you ascend up the tower. The slender tower will block less light and views, than wat could be put there as of right.

The tower will be setback on 9th Street to open up western views for residents of 888 South Michigan.

The crown WILL be illuminated at night to become a becaon of the South Loop.

All of these items mentioned at the meeting killed a lot of opposition, and left many of the attendees in support of the tower.

South Loop Nieghbors was there with Peter Ziv plugging his website, which had a good portion of the room heckeling him to sit down. SLN was the only group to stand in opposition to the project as planned, all of the other NIMBY concerns were the typical stuff like traffic and setting a precident for the area.

Ald. Heithcock has turned 180 degrees, and completly supports the project and has adivised residents the South Loop is changing for the better, Wabash is becoming a great street with beautiful landscaping which other cities don't even attempt and that more projects of this scale are comming this way in the future.

One of the NIMBYs shouted to her if she gets paid off by developers as much as Naturas.

It looks like this one is a go for the approval route. They expect construction in thid quarter 2007 and completion in 2009.

Last edited by Chicago Shawn; Jun 30, 2006 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 5:12 AM

I'm blown away.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 5:21 AM
Condo Projects Manager

Great informative post chicago shawn. Bvic thanks for the new rendering. That is quite stunning, how could anyone fight this beauty.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 5:35 AM

Thanks Shawn. I'm glad you took notes.

Did you happen to catch how the bridge over the alley works out in the interior plan?

I am curious how someone walking in on Michigan crosses over the alley to the tower lobby level. Is there a sloped ramp? An escalator? Surely there's not two flights of stairs?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 5:44 AM

^ I'm sure the main lobby is on an upper floor, similar to The Peninsula and Four Seasons with "mini-lobbies" leading to elevators.

Looks really good, hope the crown is more than a stainless sheet since it will be lit. Personally I think the crown is too much, but the tower is excellent.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 7:36 AM
Show me the blueprints

This is a beautiful tower. Completly unthinkable for this location just a few years ago. I hope this is smooth sailing all the way through. On a side note, that Johnson Publishing building sure is a turd. The NIMBY's should be complaining about piece of shit eyesores like that, instead of yelping about traffic, lost views and fictitious problems occuring with "more people."

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 1:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

great info shawn, and great pic victor.

i've updated this thread and page 1 of the boom rundown thread with the new height and image. it's fantastic to hear that this meeting went well for the most part. perhaps john q. public is begining to see the light that thin really is in.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 1:27 PM

Great pic. It looks really nice. I don't think Park Mich is threatening the Michigan Ave wall but is changing the tired South Wabash into more livable street.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 1:30 PM

Meeting was great. A lot of support for the project. It seemed as though those who supported the project sat in front of the auditorium while those who opposed it sat in the back. Some people made signs in protest but I did not see them used. Peter Ziv made his usual speech and was heckled to sit down.

Who was there from this list that yelled NIMBY at him? Good stuff

I like the project even more than originally thought. The height is great but I am more excited of the prospects of the new grocery store, restauraunt, etc that will occupy the retail section. That is due to the fact I live on that block

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1
Here's a photo of the rendering that I took tonight. I am supposed to be getting some better rendering from the PR firm in the near future.

I love the building. Something about it is reminiscent of Houston's Williams Tower to me.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee
On a side note, that Johnson Publishing building sure is a turd. The NIMBY's should be complaining about piece of shit eyesores like that, instead of yelping about traffic, lost views and fictitious problems occuring with "more people."
Johnson Publishing is half way through a project to re-clad their building envelope.

They have removed decayed travertine and are now installing some spiffy granite to their front facade. It should look pretty nice when they are done.

Also, they just put 13 million dollars in their pocket from the sale of land to the Park Michigan project. So, cost will be no object as they put the finishing touches on their public face.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 2:59 PM

Yes, I really like this tower. I think it looks great. The Mich Ave buildings provide a nice setback. It's very tall but graceful, not at all overpowering.

And it's not just going to stick out like a sore thumb, with the Columbian and OMP nearby.
Very nice.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvidler
Who was there from this list that yelled NIMBY at him? Good stuff

I agree that Zim was spouting the same nonsense that he, apparently, always says, but I disagree with yelling at him. He has every right to speak, and we have a chance to rebut him. It just doesn't portray a professional image.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive