HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:08 PM
Paramoderator

Considering how many businesses have stayed open for years downtown, blaming a closure on the homeless seems like little more than an excuse to me.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
It happens when I see people making firm and wrong statements about things that they clearly have no idea about.
Not going to debate...you know your facts, and I know mine. So no worries 😉

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 12:42 AM

Few recent images:

888 S Hope & Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2, Metropolis, Wilshire Grand by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 retail construction is moving quickly:
Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

Apex 2 by Hunter, on Flickr

11th Street by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

1120 S Grand by Hunter, on Flickr

1120 S Grand by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

12th & Hope by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 12:53 AM

Nice update Hunter. Thanks for posting them here.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:11 PM

What is going on at 11th Street outside the Hearst Bldg - just a streetscape improvement?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
What is going on at 11th Street outside the Hearst Bldg - just a streetscape improvement?
It’s part of the larger MyFigueroa project.

http://myfigueroa.com/about

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
It appears so. The red colored building behind The Herald Examiner is brand new, and The Herald Examiner itself is being renovated as well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
It’s part of the larger MyFigueroa project.

http://myfigueroa.com/about
Dollars well spent. It will do far more for DTLA than any singular project.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 7:08 PM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 1:40 AM
Heavy User

^That's kooky and I love it.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
I like it. As pleasantly original as Gehry's "dancing" buildings in Prague, called "Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers" by some. Now a tourist attraction. Now why can't Gehry do the Grand project like this? Only much grander.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 9:44 AM

Another beautiful boutique hotel renovation at Hotel Figueroa. I’m surprised by the brightness of the space, and the execution really outdoes the renderings. I love this new boutique hotel phase DTLA is going through. We’re finally getting to experience these historic buildings from the inside.

https://la.eater.com/2018/2/23/17045...wn-los-angeles

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 12:40 AM

Is anyone going to post the article about the last Metropolis tower? Its almost old news by now....

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructDTLA View Post
Is anyone going to post the article about the last Metropolis tower? Its almost old news by now....
Greenland USA seeks a buyer for its massive Metropolis condo tower. I agree, old news by now. The bigger Chinese companies are selling, not buying.

Greenland is a bit strange though. They just bought a huge part of the Barclays Center development in New York.
The problem is that Chinese companies can barely pay their interest costs. They are in huge debt.

Those companies are raising funds to refinance their debt because they overpaid a big time. So they are coming under pressure to sell their assets in New York, London, L.A. and so on.

Is the bubble bursting? Well, maybe the Chinese bubble and I am okay with that.
Our prices are high enough. Companies like the Onni Group will notice the change with a big smile.
Vancouver as an example is raising barriers for out-of-town investors.

Consequences? It's not the first Chinese bubble that bursts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chines...005%E2%80%9311)

Members of the middle-class were unable to afford homes in big cities. Sounds familiar, right?

Everything comes to an end at one point. It's all about the timeline Hunter.
Downtown will still see 2,3 or 4 new 30+ high-rise towers every year. That won't slow down until 2024.

I wish you all a pleasant Sunday.

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; Feb 25, 2018 at 10:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 5:34 PM

Well said black_crow. For me, the historic renovations throughout DTLA are just as exciting. The Nomad is simply stunning. The May Company building, the Merritt, the Hoxton Hotel, the Herald Examiner, the Proper Hotel, the Banco Popular, the Title Insurance building, the opening of the Erewhon Market in the historic May Co garage retail space, the Variety Arts Center (soon to be a church)...and countless smaller projects are going to impact the Downtown livability factor. Notice I left out the Embassy and Clark hotels?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 6:30 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
Notice I left out the Embassy and Clark hotels?
The Embassy was so far along too and I imagine the Clark was as well... Is there active litigation or something?

I also wish the Warner on 7th and Hill would be added to that list of historic renovations.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA/OCman View Post
For me, the historic renovations throughout DTLA are just as exciting.
most definitely. if the revival were dependent on new devlpt only, the completeness & a lot of the charm of a revitalized dtla wouldn't exist.

it's also the comfort factor....which remains shaken up by things like crime, homelessness & panhandlers....slowly but surely being added to dt, that's important. Things like the new mkt on the side of dt a few blocks west of the fwy.

this reminds me of the smart & final on fig st.....it obviously doesn't have the hipster vibe of whole foods at 8th & grand or the sense of wider variety of the ralphs on 9th st. But it has the advantage of lower pricing. That compares with whole foods, which some shoppers have nicknamed 'whole paycheck'. Some ppl have also complained that the pricing at the dt ralphs is higher than at other ralphs. so a changing dtla is adding more comfort to ppl's budget & their food bills.

Video Link

Quote:
Marc M.
Los Angeles, CA

5.0 star rating
2/23/2018

Located underneath the Sofia apartments on 6th and Bixel, the market's designated parking spots share the same garage as the apartments. You can enter either through Bixel or 6th. I was surprised at the number of available parking spaces, which are marked with the red logo so you really can't miss it. 90 minutes free parking...no tickets, no validation...totally stress-free, unlike Whole Foods.

The isles are clean and I found it very easy to move around, although it's not a really big market so keep that in mind. The organics section is always a great surprise, as I have found similar products priced twice as much at other stores.

This is a much-needed addition to a neighborhood that is seeing a lot of growth. With a Starbucks already in place and a Chipotle opening soon, I think I'll find myself here more often.

part of this story does involve dtla, so I thought I'd insert it here....

Quote:
$50 Million for the Hammer Museum, and Fresh Energy for Arts Giving in L.A.

By ROBIN POGREBIN
FEB. 22, 2018

Ms. Carsey’s gift to the Hammer Museum, announced Thursday, is the latest in an unexpected series of cultural investments by wealthy Angelenos. Last year, the filmmaker George Lucas said he would fund a $1 billion Museum of Narrative Art, and the music mogul David Geffen pledged $150 million to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. Ms. Carsey’s donation accompanies a $30 million lead gift to the Hammer’s renovation and expansion project from Lynda and Stewart Resnick, the billionaire couple behind POM Wonderful and Fiji Water.

Los Angeles has long produced celebrated visual artists — Mark Bradford, John Baldessari and Barbara Kruger, to name a few — and it has recently increased the number of places to see art, adding the Broad Museum; the Institute of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles; and Hauser & Wirth mega gallery. Now, this energetic scene is helping to spur giving. Even the J. Paul Getty Trust — the world’s richest art institution, with a $6.9 billion endowment — has begun to solicit individual donations from a swelling patron base.

Recent charitable contributions could suggest that a new donor class is emerging. That is important now that the city’s leading cultural philanthropist, Eli Broad, has announced his retirement from public life. Mr. Broad said he no longer feels so alone in support of the arts. “You’re seeing more and more people getting involved philanthropically,” he said.

The three main art museums here are now all run by former New Yorkers — Ms. Philbin; Mr. Govan; and Philippe Vergne, at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles — who have imported East Coast fund-raising strategies.

Where young artists in Los Angeles used to feel they had to go to New York to pursue careers, many are staying put. The city has also become a magnet for artists in neighborhoods like Eagle Rock, Mount Washington, Highland Park, Silver Lake and Echo Park. California Institute of the Arts, the leading art school, reported that 50 percent of graduates in 2015 stayed in Los Angeles; that figure has increased to nearly 60 percent.

“Another few arrive each week,” said the dealer Jeffrey Deitch, who served as director of MOCA and still keeps a home in Los Angeles. “The balance has shifted.”

Paul Mpagi Sepuya, an artist who was born just east of Los Angeles, said he moved back from New York for more affordable studio space and the network that comes with attending art school at the University of California, Los Angeles. “I wouldn’t be able to make my practice work or do the work that I’m doing in New York,” Mr. Sepuya said. He has also found a community. “Every day you go to an event or an opening or a friend’s house for dinner, and you run into another artist who you lost touch with in New York,” he said, “and you suddenly realize they’re also in L.A.”

Artists are coming from all over — Chris Johanson, a muralist and illustrator, came from Portland; Tala Madani, a painter, from Iran; Oscar Tuazon, known for architectonic sculptures, from Paris; Tacita Dean, a Turner Prize nominee, and Thomas Demand, the photographer, from Berlin. And galleries are opening across the city. Relatively recent arrivals include SprĂŒth Magers, Maccarone and Franklin Parrasch. “I want to be where this energy is,” Mr. Parrasch said. “I’ve been going to L.A. since the late 80s, and I’ve never seen it like this. I don’t think it’s going to go away.”

With people lining up around the block for the Broad, lounging at Hauser & Wirth’s hip cafe and trolling exhibitions off the beaten path through last summer’s regional art event, Pacific Standard Time, “Los Angeles is getting to be like the art center of the world,” said the collector Maurice Marciano of the Guess empire. Mr. Marciano, who recently opened the Marciano Art Foundation in a former Masonic temple, also serves as co-chairman of MOCA, which has raised $100 million of a $150 million endowment campaign.

Last edited by citywatch; Feb 26, 2018 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 10:22 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Question

Can anyone explain why there is no construction progress for the last several days at 5-OH. You can compare from 23rd to 26th on the webcam and nothing has moved but the apartment complex behind is still progressing.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/macfarlane/437shill

I really hope the construction was not halted.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 12:15 AM

Micro-apartment towers....questions

Would towers of affordable "micro-apartments" (under 500 sq. ft.) pencil out & be profitable? Or would they need subsidies? Are there currently laws or zoning rules that currently ban micro-units, in DTLA & elsewhere? I see a glut of luxury apts & condos, & not enough "affordable" units. This must change.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Would towers of affordable "micro-apartments" (under 500 sq. ft.) pencil out & be profitable? Or would they need subsidies? Are there currently laws or zoning rules that currently ban micro-units, in DTLA & elsewhere? I see a glut of luxury apts & condos, & not enough "affordable" units. This must change.
I have thought of something similar. Wouldn't it be great if they build a bunch of slender towers in Downtown similar to 432 Park Ave in NYC?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations