HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's calling View Post
Apple is eying the Beltline for a new store, per the Atlanta Business Chronicle

You need a subscription to get past the paywall. But huge news nonetheless
Pro-Tip: to get past the paywall go into the reader view on Firefox or Chrome.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Apple Store/Colony Square/ Parking

Speaking of PARKING, here is the quote from the Atlanta Business Chronicle concerning the Apple Store at Colony Square:

This quote epitomizes what some of us on here have been saying about parking with regard to development in Atlanta.

Yes, they are so very concerned about parking that they pick the Beltline-- which has no parking at all, only 'alternative' forms of transport, like feet, bikes and eventually a train. The truth is excessive and badly designed parking (surface and decks) have ruined parts of Downtown. The truth is also Atlanta still needs cars and banks wont finance car-less projects (yet)--
So well designed decks (Midtown has the right idea) are the contemporary answer. Do most new residential developments in SF or Seattle have parking-- NO. Not required and not needed-- and we are (slowly) evolving in that direction.

In the meantime we should rid ourselves of surface lots and single use parking structures though zoning policies and incentives. Downtown has incredible bones and could be a great place with less visible parking. As per usual the answers lie at neither extreme but in the middle with the recognition that the city of 10 years from now may not be like the city of today-- Streets however, and the ability to walk and enjoy them, to feel in scale, and be in a place, will always be the key to urban success.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Pro-Tip: to get past the paywall go into the reader view on Firefox or Chrome.
Ah I got it, thanks you!

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:06 PM

Interesting that the airport is buying and I assume closing the Sheraton Atlanta Airport. That's one of the larger airport hotels and meeting spaces. I would think Sheraton would want to quickly replace a major hotel in such an important market. This might shake up the airport hotel market with a lot of rebranding and renovations I would think. It could result in another tower hotel/meeting space being built in the airport area even with the planned airport terminal hotel.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; May 12, 2017 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge View Post
Yes, they are so very concerned about parking that they pick the Beltline-- which has no parking at all, only 'alternative' forms of transport, like feet, bikes and eventually a train. The truth is excessive and badly designed parking (surface and decks) have ruined parts of Downtown. The truth is also Atlanta still needs cars and banks wont finance car-less projects (yet)--
So well designed decks (Midtown has the right idea) are the contemporary answer. Do most new residential developments in SF or Seattle have parking-- NO. Not required and not needed-- and we are (slowly) evolving in that direction.

In the meantime we should rid ourselves of surface lots and single use parking structures though zoning policies and incentives. Downtown has incredible bones and could be a great place with less visible parking. As per usual the answers lie at neither extreme but in the middle with the recognition that the city of 10 years from now may not be like the city of today-- Streets however, and the ability to walk and enjoy them, to feel in scale, and be in a place, will always be the key to urban success.
PCM has tons of parking and not to long ago added a new deck did they not. Your argument doesn't really hold true as the density around Colony Square is the highest in Atlanta versus PCM/Beltline. The statement about parking really has no meaning as given by the ABC. It's poor reporting honestly how the whole sentence is written with no explanation. It was left to the reader to interpret what was meant instead of reporting facts like a news story should.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; May 12, 2017 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:43 PM

Quote:

I agree completely.

Furthermore, surface parking is a disaster for having a pedestrian friendly city while parking decks can be activated at the street level just like any other building. The goal has to be to design all development, including parking decks in such a way that they enhance the built environment but developments without parking is just NOT going to happen in Atlanta at this time.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Interesting that the airport is buying and I assume closing the Sheraton Atlanta Airport. That's one of the larger airport hotels and meeting spaces. I would think Sheraton would want to quickly replace a major hotel in such an important market. This might shake up the airport hotel market with a lot of rebranding and renovations I would think. It could result in another tower hotel/meeting space being built in the airport area even with the planned airport terminal hotel.
The market is digesting a lot of new high-end capacity right now. The Renaissance Gateway Hotel just opened, and the Solis near Porsche is in late construction right now.

Sheraton's Atlanta properties are by and large horrible and far behind their competitors, and the airport hotel is no exception. I guess that means maybe they'd try to re-enter the market by new-building something fancy, but with all of this extra competition in dazzling, fancy new properties I'd have a hard time seeing them dive in head first.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:

Great post. This is exactly what needs to be happening.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 5:48 PM

I'm guessing Apple is choosing between the open space at PCM (there is an available large space above the Williams Sonoma which has visibility from the Beltline) and Atlantic Station, however, I'm not sure what is open at Atlantic Station. Apple typically chooses mature retail areas for their stores, and I'm not convinced Apple is ready for a flagship store (a regular apple store is needed) in Atlanta, however, I could be wrong. Colony Square had a great crowd during business hours (Guessing that is different now that they are prepping for construction), but that was mostly office workers, and I don't see that location having the draw of the 'consumer crowd', especially nights and weekends, however, that may change.

Frankly, I think Apple would have a better shot of building a flagship store near Centennial park. As Atlanta is 4th or 5th largest visitor destination in the country, and there are huge crowds there, it may work in that area. Many of the flagship stores in the country are in retail districts which have large number of tourists, which matches the 'destination' distinction of the flagship stores. It would be nice if we had some retail precedent in that area, seems like a good opportunity to me.

Last edited by montydawg; May 12, 2017 at 5:55 PM. Reason: clarification on 'flagship'

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:02 PM

To me personally it would be disappointing if Apple chooses another location over Colony Square. I love the Beltline and want to see more retail/restaurant space open up there. But I more than anything wish to see Atlanta feel like a major urban area. I want Midtown/Downtown to have continuous retail/restaurants options one day soon, and see non stop movement of pedestrians along all the avenues. Apple along with Colony Square renovations would be key in my opinion in really allowing Atlanta to head in that direction. And will finally be a huge major step, more than anything in the past in achieving the Midtown Mile Concept.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
I'm guessing Apple is choosing between the open space at PCM (there is an available large space above the Williams Sonoma which has visibility from the Beltline) and Atlantic Station, however, I'm not sure what is open at Atlantic Station. Apple typically chooses mature retail areas for their stores, and I'm not convinced Apple is ready for a flagship store (a regular apple store is needed) in Atlanta, however, I could be wrong. Colony Square had a great crowd during business hours (Guessing that is different now that they are prepping for construction), but that was mostly office workers, and I don't see that location having the draw of the 'consumer crowd', especially nights and weekends, however, that may change.
According to the ABC article they could build on the surface parking area along Ponce/Glen Iris, wait for a retail vacancy in side (less likely), or build between the wings (also less likely).

Quote:
At Ponce City Market, Apple could open a freestanding store on space that’s now a parking lot at Ponce de Leon Avenue and Glen Iris Drive. It may also look at what’s now greenspace fronting North Avenue and between the building’s residential wings. Or, it could occupy an interior spot if a retailer vacates.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 10:30 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
PCM has tons of parking and not to long ago added a new deck did they not. Your argument doesn't really hold true as the density around Colony Square is the highest in Atlanta versus PCM/Beltline. The statement about parking really has no meaning as given by the ABC. It's poor reporting honestly how the whole sentence is written with no explanation. It was left to the reader to interpret what was meant instead of reporting facts like a news story should.
Thanks, Yes-- but the parking at PCM is well integrated into the whole and sublimates to the overall (relatively urban) experience-- What I have been trying say (though maybe not successfully)--

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 10:35 PM

Location Idea for Apple Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
According to the ABC article they could build on the surface parking area along Ponce/Glen Iris, wait for a retail vacancy in side (less likely), or build between the wings (also less likely).
Any chance Apple would buy The Cheetah acre plus site and have immediate proximity to GA Tech, NCR, 24/7 Midtown apartments everywhere, hotels now (and in future) and more?

http://curbed.cmail20.com/t/ViewEmai...DEEDC46EB9B960

If not, how about the West Peachtree & 7th to 8th block, west of ECCO at 7th and Cypress St ?

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One ATLien View Post
To me personally it would be disappointing if Apple chooses another location over Colony Square. I love the Beltline and want to see more retail/restaurant space open up there. But I more than anything wish to see Atlanta feel like a major urban area. I want Midtown/Downtown to have continuous retail/restaurants options one day soon, and see non stop movement of pedestrians along all the avenues. Apple along with Colony Square renovations would be key in my opinion in really allowing Atlanta to head in that direction. And will finally be a huge major step, more than anything in the past in achieving the Midtown Mile Concept.
Apple is incredibly conservative in where they choose to locate. That's why in 2014, when everyone was hoping the last new store was coming to PCM, it actually opened at Cumberland Mall. Only now that it's doing $1k/sq.ft. has PCM proved to be a location good enough for Apple.

It's not going to be the first business that turns around the midtown mile. It's going to be one of the last, once the area is already vibrant.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 3:56 AM

Is 1105 West Peachtree St. about to start breaking ground?

Forgive my ignorance, but does this appear to be soil testing happening all over the proposed site?

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 3:58 AM

NCR Phase I glass looking excellent.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pica View Post
Apple is incredibly conservative in where they choose to locate. That's why in 2014, when everyone was hoping the last new store was coming to PCM, it actually opened at Cumberland Mall. Only now that it's doing $1k/sq.ft. has PCM proved to be a location good enough for Apple.

It's not going to be the first business that turns around the midtown mile. It's going to be one of the last, once the area is already vibrant.
Yea you are probably right, thought about that too.. I guess its better to open when the time is right in a few years rather than now.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 6:41 AM

Last edited by One ATLien; May 13, 2017 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 12:10 PM

They are putting up the tower crane at CODA now 8 a.m.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL CTO View Post
Is 1105 West Peachtree St. about to start breaking ground?

Forgive my ignorance, but does this appear to be soil testing happening all over the proposed site?
They did say they would try to break ground this summer so we'll see. Wonder if they found a couple of potential tenants already.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations