HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 8:13 PM
Here we stAy

Airport's big plans ready to soar
Sacramento International's largest expansion ever on track to start this summer
By Tony Bizjak - tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PST Thursday, January 17, 2008
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

After years of preparation, Sacramento International Airport officials find themselves on the verge of what they call a historic event – their biggest airport expansion ever.

The $1.3 billion plan includes a four-story central terminal, satellite concourse, people mover, hotel tower and multistory garage.

Despite recent federal concerns about construction in the flood-prone area, officials say they are on track to start in summer.

Airports director Hardy Acree spoke Wednesday with The Bee:

Q: First, this flood issue sounds tricky. How do you avoid the potential construction moratorium Natomas is facing?

A: We're on schedule for (approval) in May to award the construction contracts. If that occurs before the Federal Emergency Management Agency does the flood remapping, we are good to go. We intend to get under construction sometime in early July.

Q: What if there is a flood someday?

A: Our Achilles' heel is the runways. As soon as an inch of water gets on the runways, we are closed down. We don't have planes with pontoons. We're conducting a 'continuity of operations' plan right now: In the unlikely event of a catastrophic levee breach, where might we reconstitute operations on a limited basis? (We're) looking at both Mather and McClellan (fields).

Q: Why expand the airport now?

A: The question could be, 'Why didn't you do it sooner?' We have facilities that have outlived their useful life. They are obsolete and grossly undersized. Air transportation is expected to grow significantly over the next 20 years.

Q: You'll be knocking Terminal B down. Besides being drab, what are its inadequacies?

A: It opened in 1967. The security checkpoints, baggage claim and (passenger) hold areas are undersized. Airports have become business enterprises (relying on retail shops, parking revenues). At B, we see so many lost revenue-generating opportunities.

Q: The new central terminal is four stories tall with escalators. Why go so vertical?

A: We don't have a lot of land available for a terminal. That was one of the issues: Why don't we just build another (terminal) A? But A is a 'unit' terminal, self-contained with its own baggage claim. We don't have adequate real estate to plop down unit terminals (during future expansions).

Q: So the new terminal's boarding gates will be on a satellite concourse out in the airfield, connected by an elevated people mover. Why not an underground walkway, like at O'Hare in Chicago?

A: We looked at that. We couldn't. The water table is (high), so it's more cost-effective to go above ground. I don't know of anybody who doesn't love an airport people mover.

Q: The planned double-decker road at the new terminal looks like the big, crowded airports. Aren't you going to lose some of your 'easy in, easy out' flow?

A: No. In fact, it will complement the 'easy come, easy go' philosophy. Now, as the A roadway becomes congested, people can't get into the curb. A two-level roadway more than doubles our capacity.

Q: The architecture gives a sense of Sacramento, right?

A: Yes. Rivers identify us. The Delta breeze, the tree canopies, the mountains, the valley, the railroads. All are things we tried to capture in the architecture.

Q: You're tossing in some old-growth redwood?

A: We're reusing some of the history of Sacramento County! It's an old (1921) wooden trestle bridge (the county) demolished. We'll use it in the ceiling and add some warmth to the facility because it is predominantly glass and steel with hard terrazzo floors.

Q: You're putting a 186-room hotel tower with restaurant right on top of the terminal. Why there?

A: It offers a higher level of customer service. They can literally get out of their room, go to the restaurant, check out and go right to their plane.

Q: How did you design for security in the post-9/11 era?

A: We think we have adequate space. You design for maximum flexibility for what might be.

Q: Regional Transit is a long way from being able to extend light rail to the airport, but we see you've left a corridor for it?

A: We recognize at some point Regional Transit is going to extend light rail to the airport. We support that. I see it as a marketing tool, an alternative for the public along the Interstate 80 corridor. They can take the Capitol Corridor train to Sacramento, connect on light rail to the airport. They don't have to drive in to San Francisco.

Q: There's another concern for drivers; Interstate 5 is supposed to get congested soon.

A: I-5 is a constraint right now. There are times we hear of a crash, we call the airlines and say you are going to have late customers because I-5 is closed or constrained.

Q: How much inconvenience will people face during construction?

A: There may be road closures and limiting lanes from time to time. There is going to be pile-driving. But it shouldn't result in us saying, 'Add an hour to your time at the airport to get through the maze of construction.' One of the advantages (of the terminal location) is it allows us to build the central terminal, the … concourse and the (people mover) while we continue to operate out of A and B. We may lose a couple of gates at points.

*as if you haven't seen these already*

An artist's rendering of the four-story central terminal, as seen from the third floor.
The terminal's boarding gates will be on a satellite concourse in the airfield,
connected by an elevated people mover.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 8:36 PM

Great news, can't wait for this to start.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:06 PM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

I really hope things move smoothly and quickly. Can't wait until its done!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 2:09 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Q: The new central terminal is four stories tall with escalators. Why go so vertical?
Only in Sacramento would this question be asked..

Since when is four stories going "veritcal"...???

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 6:18 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Only in Sacramento would this question be asked..

Since when is four stories going "veritcal"...???
I totally agree! Some of the people in this town are a special breed. Sadly, some of the most influential people in this town are the most ignorant and provincial. Unfortunately, the not so influential follow suit or are indifferent.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 7:43 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
I totally agree! Some of the people in this town are a special breed. Sadly, some of the most influential people in this town are the most ignorant and provincial. Unfortunately, the not so influential follow suit or are indifferent.
Very true, but I think more and more people are moving here and will make some changes. I meet new people who move here quite often from larger cities. I hope that is not just wishful thinking that more and more people are waking up to Sacramento being a notable city someday.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Q: Regional Transit is a long way from being able to extend light rail to the airport, but we see you've left a corridor for it?

A: We recognize at some point Regional Transit is going to extend light rail to the airport. We support that. I see it as a marketing tool, an alternative for the public along the Interstate 80 corridor. They can take the Capitol Corridor train to Sacramento, connect on light rail to the airport. They don't have to drive in to San Francisco.

Q: There's another concern for drivers; Interstate 5 is supposed to get congested soon.

A: I-5 is a constraint right now. There are times we hear of a crash, we call the airlines and say you are going to have late customers because I-5 is closed or constrained.

Q: How much inconvenience will people face during construction?

A: There may be road closures and limiting lanes from time to time. There is going to be pile-driving. But it shouldn't result in us saying, 'Add an hour to your time at the airport to get through the maze of construction.' One of the advantages (of the terminal location) is it allows us to build the central terminal, the … concourse and the (people mover) while we continue to operate out of A and B. We may lose a couple of gates at points.
these are my main concerns here. im at the airport everyday.
traffic going to the airport sucks especially on a friday. where I5 and 99 split is always terrible. i wait for the day there is going to be a bad accident from people merging in and out of lanes.

Does anybody know when construction will start im always neart Terminal B

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 5:27 PM
Kodachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Does anybody know when construction will start im always neart Terminal B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Airport's big plans ready to soar
Sacramento International's largest expansion ever on track to start this summer
By Tony Bizjak - tbizjak@sacbee.com
Published 12:00 am PST Thursday, January 17, 2008
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

After years of preparation, Sacramento International Airport officials find themselves on the verge of what they call a historic event – their biggest airport expansion ever.[/SIZE]
This should answer your question... it's the first post on this page.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 5:39 PM

lol

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 9:57 PM
silly slackergeek

ExpressJet loads out of SMF

Hello everyone...

Came across these load factors for ExpressJet at SMF.

75.6% SMF-TUS

73.7% SMF-ABQ

72.7% SMF-OKC

59.5% SMF-SAT

56.2% SMF-COS

53.7% SMF-BFL

51.4% SMF-TUL

37.0% SMF-GEG

These figures are as of October 2007.

I'm surprised that the flights to Spokane are doing so poorly. Competition from Horizon is taking its toll on that route. SMF-BFL doesn't look too good either... but that flight was only operating for a month when these results were recorded. Usually takes longer than that for a flight to get established. It'll be hard to let some of these routes find their market with oil at/near $100.bbl. I doubt oil prices that high were part of the XJT business plan.

Those prices will also make any new airline service for Sacramento harder to implement. Makes a long, thin market like SMF-BOS less likely.

The best thing about them for ExpressJet is that all of them from Sacramento show growth from previous reporting period. But with oil so high, I don't know if they'll have the time.

The old rule of thumb was 70% LF for profitability. Most airlines today want to see at least 85%. The 50-seat jets that XJT flies require higher loads for profitability. This is exacerbated by high fuel costs. XJT undoubtedly planned for losses while they tweaked their schedule, but $100/bbl. is very painful for a start-up airline. The west is performing better than the east throughout their system so I'd expect to see more focus on expansion in the west.

I think the concept - connect undeserved mid-size cities with non-stop flights - was good. The timing is tough.

Were I a betting man (and I am), look for Shallit to do a piece on ExpressJet in the near future.

Last edited by travis bickle; Jan 22, 2008 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:19 AM

USAA uses ExpressJet when they have to send people (all the time) from SAT (HQ) to SMF (Western Regional Office) or vice versa and the corporate jets are not available. I don't know who they used before. But, everyone I've heard that has used it thinks it's a great thing!! I'd say it's used probably once or twice a month by USAA for single passenger flights and maybe once a month or so for multi-passenger flights.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:37 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

I have a Express Jet flight attendant friend who says their business is booming for them in Sacramento. His says Sacramento is their 1# best performing market.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 3:49 AM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post

I have a Express Jet flight attendant friend who says their business is booming for them in Sacramento. His says Sacramento is their 1# best performing market.

That makes sense to me. Sacramento fits their profile perfectly. I hope they can ride out this oil spike.

I have heard something intriguing... ExpressJet considering making SMF a focus city with flights from smaller cities throughout the west connecting with JetBlue flights to the east. Not a merger mind you, but something akin to a code-share for selected flights. Brian, see if your FA friend has heard anything along those lines. I'm very skeptical, but it makes the BFL, SBA, FAT flights more understandable.

Everyone I know who has flown them says the experience is great. I should be flying them SAN-SBA within the next few months.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:03 AM
Edge_City

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
That makes sense to me. Sacramento fits their profile perfectly. I hope they can ride out this oil spike.
I wouldn't worry too much about the oil spike causing them problems. Oil has come down substantially since it hit 100...which it only did b/c one investor wanted to able to say he was the first to pay $100 a barrel. With the pending economic slowdown it will probably continue to decrease in price as demand slows. Although, an economic slowdown might do more harm than good for them.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 5:27 AM

SMF was state's fifth busiest airport; edges out SJ

Courtesy of Sac Biz Journal

Sacramento International Airport was the fifth busiest airport in California in 2007, county officials said Friday, rising up one place from the year before and edging past San Jose International.

Last year the airport saw a 30 percent increase in international travelers and a 4 percent increase in domestic passengers, for a total of 10,748,982 passengers.

The increase in international flights was due to the debut of Air Canada, which began nonstop service to and from Vancouver. The airport's other international flights are to various destinations in Mexico.

"Obtaining a route to Vancouver was the No. 1 air service priority of the Sacramento County Airport System for several years," said G. Hardy Acree, director of airports.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 8:14 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
SMF was state's fifth busiest airport; edges out SJ

Courtesy of Sac Biz Journal

Sacramento International Airport was the fifth busiest airport in California in 2007, county officials said Friday, rising up one place from the year before and edging past San Jose International.

The Business Journal is a little late.

I first posted SMF overtaking SJC months ago, back in July when I started this thread..

But anyway thanks for the article Pistola. Nice to see SMF continue to grow..

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 8:13 PM

I still think eventually SMF will be the state's fourth busiest airport surpassing OAK-perhaps in then next 5-7 years. But that's the highest spot it will ever be.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 8:33 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
The Business Journal is a little late.

I first posted SMF overtaking SJC months ago, back in July when I started this thread..

But anyway thanks for the article Pistola. Nice to see SMF continue to grow..
Ya know UE - that's really pretty big news. I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more pub. When I was at the airport (gee... just 21 years ago...), Catching SJC was kind of like the holy grail for us. Nice to see it come true. We'll see how long we maintain it. Acree's team is really going to have to hustle.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 2:07 AM

It is a big accomplishment that SMF passed SJC. YAY US!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 9:58 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
I still think eventually SMF will be the state's fourth busiest airport surpassing OAK-perhaps in then next 5-7 years. But that's the highest spot it will ever be.
I think SMF will eventually surpass Oakland, but i think it wont happen for another 10 to 15 years.. But that's just a guess and admittedly i don't know.

Travis would probably have a better insight on that than i would.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area