HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 3:54 AM

Since I've been in Nashville twice in less than two months to visit family, I've been researching construction in the city more. Do any of you know any updates on the US courthouse that was to occupy the land on Church St? Is that site sold to Tony G or what is the deal with that?

I can't keep up with the developments, 505 CST is still going forward in place of Signature?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:01 PM

Brandon, I don't think any of us are expecting the height density of NYC. But, It would be a crying shame if SoBro ends up with just two or three 30+ story buildings. I agree with you that the area certainly doesn't call for multiple tall buildings stacked on top of each other. I agree that there needs to be separation between the tall structures. But it would be a disappointing if everything was flatlined at 10 stories or less.

Considering that the south Gulch area is part of SoBro, as well as Rutledge Hill and the area where the Old Sears Building sits (which I believe now is a homeless shelter) and the self proclaimed Worlds Largest Adult Video/Bookstore, there are just numerous options for developing the area with a balanced mixture of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30+ story buildings. Quite frankly, I'd like to see developers think outside the interstate because the area of Napier Area needs a major overhaul as well. It's time to replace the housing project there with affordable apartments and to also develop the area buisness wise. Nashville has to start thinking in terms of creating cluster neighborhoods that are extensions of downtown. I firmly believe one of the biggest missed areas for both commerical and residential development in Nashville is along the east bank of the Cumberland river. Imagine how impressive it would be to have the entire area that runs along I-24 along the banks of river developed into office, retail, entertainment and residential complexes. Imagine that whole stretch of land sprinkled with 5 to 25+ story buildings, green space and small man-made lakes. It would make the area known as the East Bank a destination area as well.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Tony G couldn't let Alex Palmer steal his thunder for too long. I love it! I'm hoping the announced hotel is a JW Marriott. Those are quite nice. It's also great to hear this will allow First Baptist to move along with their expansion. Two more parking lots gone.

The rendering for the Market Center Apartments across from the Farmer's Market were also discovered by one of the posters on UP. It'll look nice. Much better than I expected.

So is this on the corner of Rosa Parks Blvd and Jefferson where a BP station currently sits? If so, it also looks like it will take up the land where a KFC sits as well. Both of those businesses have been in that area for decades. Will they be relocated elsewhere? I think the building will fit well into that area and it certainly needs more residential infill of this kind. I just wonder about plans to develop other nearby properties, including that hideous building housing a Beer Mart, Discount Liquors & Wine, Dollar General Store. The proposed building will balance the block that includes Row 8.9n row homes.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:50 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
Since I've been in Nashville twice in less than two months to visit family, I've been researching construction in the city more. Do any of you know any updates on the US courthouse that was to occupy the land on Church St? Is that site sold to Tony G or what is the deal with that?

I can't keep up with the developments, 505 CST is still going forward in place of Signature?
The beautiful Micheal Graves designed Federal Courthouse is one project I would like to see built, but it probably won't happen anytime soon. Although it is General Services second ranked priority project, there is apparently too much politics standing in the way.

As for the 505 CST, there have been no announcements or even rumors regarding it's construction. It is purely a spec building waiting on some unspecified corporate headquarters relocation.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
So is this on the corner of Rosa Parks Blvd and Jefferson where a BP station currently sits? If so, it also looks like it will take up the land where a KFC sits as well. Both of those businesses have been in that area for decades. Will they be relocated elsewhere? I think the building will fit well into that area and it certainly needs more residential infill of this kind. I just wonder about plans to develop other nearby properties, including that hideous building housing a Beer Mart, Discount Liquors & Wine, Dollar General Store. The proposed building will balance the block that includes Row 8.9n row homes.
No, it'll be at the corner of Rosa L Parks and Locklayer where a Dollar General used to be up until being closed after the May 2010 flood.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
No, it'll be at the corner of Rosa L Parks and Locklayer where a Dollar General used to be up until being closed after the May 2010 flood.
Ok, that is the property I referred to in my previous post as being hideous. I didn't realize that the Dollar General Store was closed. I guess google maps is outdated

Google Maps - Rosa Parks Blvd & Locklayer

I'm sure the people living in the row homes at Row 8.9n will appreciate the apartment building much more than a Dollar General Store and the other businesses there. Nashville needs to band buildings like the one the Dollar General store in from being built unless they are in an industrial zone. At the very least there should be a brick front

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 9:12 PM

I'm fairly confident strip malls like the one with the old Dollar General store would be nonconforming with the zoning in that area now. I don't think we'll see much more junk like that in the North Capital/Hope Gardens/Germantown area anymore. Even the new Goodwill building around the corner is handsome and modern. So is Luvell Glanton's new office building on Jefferson Street. Also, whatever NW Mutual has up their sleeves for the North Gulch area will possibly have a huge impact on North Nashville (or at least I hope).

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 7:22 AM

Here are the latest highrise projects updates as of March 2013. These are generally larger projects, above 10 stories. I've updated the main page as well with the information.

505 CST
38 stories
office, proposed

Source: http://giarratana.com/work-at-505-cst#1

Currently proposed. This is the former site of what was the old Signature Tower project. It would be approximately 600ft, 38 stories.

Quote:
505 CST has 700,000 square feet of Class-A office space, a 200 key, 5-Star quality hotel, a world-class conference center with a 6,000 square foot ballroom, and underground parking for 1,000 cars.

The SoBro
33 stories
proposed

Source: http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postb...ets_new_design

This is currently under revision, the old version is at left, newer is at right. With the curves the newer one has a more liquid appearance. Its a condo building, not designed for mix use.

More info:
http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postb...ets_new_design

West End Summit
3 buildings, roughly 20 stories and 406ft
proposed

Source: Hank Brackin, http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t_end_smt1.jpg

West End Summit is considered to be the most delayed buildings in the city's history. Ready for construction, the beginning of the Great Recession of 2008 knocked this project on the back burner. 5 years later it is now updated, has a 3rd building (no new renderings have come available with the 3rd tower), but according to reputable sources its on target to begin construction finally 5 years post-recession.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_End_Summit

The Buckingham
19 stories, multi-level
proposed

Source: http://www.leainc.com/portfolio/18/b...velopment.html

This property will be huge not from the height (it'll probably be over 200ft), but rather its footprint. It'll bookend a 3 block corner and create one of Nashville's more ornate highrise structures. Rather than taking a queue from modernism, its going back to classical themes, with a heavy french accent.

The Mondrian @ 12th & Laurel
23 stories, 270ft
under construction

Source: http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville....html?page=all

OMNI Hotel
21 stories
topped out

Source: http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/Nashville.aspx

Due to the demand the new convention center is having, there is a bit of a hotel boom. This is the anchor of the new convention center. Already mostly complete, it will house 800 rooms.

Hyatt Place
13 stories
Under Construction

Source: http://nashvillepost.com/news/2011/1...otel_for_sobro

Hyatt Place is built across from the new Music City Center convention hall.

Unnamed Giarratana Hotel Proposal
14 stories
proposed, pending hotel partner

Source: http://giarratana.com/play-at-hotel#1

Tony Giarratana, downtown hotel proposal awaiting national partner

Unnamed - Green Hills condo/retail
14 stories
proposed, approved

Source: http://nashvillepost.com/news/2012/1...ed_use_project
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...apartment.html

In the Green Hills neighborhood, this is an as of yet unnamed residential/retail tower scheduled for construction in 2013

US Courthouse
14 stories

Source: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...78277594_n.jpg

Photo above was taken at a city model owned by government property by the user linked. The new US Courthouse is on Church St, in the middle of downtown. Currently a parking lot, it is facing US federal budgetary constraints. While high on the list of projects to begin, it is pending federal funding at this time, but approved and shovel ready when the budget can proceed.

Griffin Plaza
10 stories
Under Construction

Source: http://www.haa.us/

Last edited by Dr Nevergold; Mar 2, 2013 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 1:40 PM

Pretty good update, Brandon. I will try to add to it with pictures from my archive, later.

A couple of comments, however. I am pretty sure the (beautiful) Griffin Plaza project is dead. I seem to remember the developers had sold off the property. A shame, though. This was one of the favorite proposals among bloggers.

And the rendering for the Hyatt is a generic spec proposal for an unspecified Hotel at a different location. The correct rendering...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 3:24 PM

Here is a summary of significant projects underway or proposed in Nashvlle. Certainly doesn't include all.

See next post for more...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 3:38 PM

The famous and cleverly named SoBro (South of Broadway) area...

Continue...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 3:48 PM

MIDTOWN!!

Next: The Gulch...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 3:52 PM

Finally (for now) The .....GULCH!!

Not everything, just the highlights....

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 7:25 PM

Noticed new construction activity today

Driving in to work, I saw a lot of earth moving work on the Eakins 12th & Demonbreum property. For a project termed "construction not imminent" there seems to be significant work going on. Yesterday, I saw the same type of heavy earth moving going on at the Palmer Summit site. Looks to me like both are very much underway.
There is another site being excavated that I have yet to see on this thread across the interstate loop from Eakins, next to the old Shoney's Inn on Demonbruen just before you get to the roundabout at 16th. This is the old office site where there was so much contravesy over the little recording studio and emminent domain being proposed. There is a significant hole there now around the studio that I assume is for underground parking. Is this a condo or apartment project? Also the new Vandebilt dorms at 21st & West End are the most awesome smurf blue color at the moment. Forunately, this will be soon bricked over. Does anyone know what is being built at 18th & West End where Church's (old Mrs. Winner's) was demolished? It looks like a rather small restaurant is being built. If so, IMO it is a sad waste of a valuable potential multi-story development site.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 9:53 PM

Is the building @ 12th and Laurel called the Mondrian? I haven't heard the name as of yet.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:05 PM

^ The project that's under construction at 12th and Demonbreun is The Mondrian. 12th and Laurel has always been envisioned as a twin tower project with one office and one residential tower. The Mondrian is the residential one that is developed by Hensler. The Eakins office tower is the other one.

Let's cross our fingers in hopes that we won't have to wait very long for the office tower. It was announced about a month or so ago that Sony/ATV Publishing is expanding and seeking a new office building. They have a few options nearby with office proposals already on the table: the aforementioned Eakins office tower, the Gulch Crossings proposal at 11th, or the Lionstone site at Music Row which isn't dead as far as I know.

The project that's currently under construction on Demonbreun in Music Row that you noticed isn't the Lionstone one that you mentioned, but another apartment project developed by Faison out of Charlotte, NC. Here's the rendering:

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronakim View Post
Does anyone know what is being built at 18th & West End where Church's (old Mrs. Winner's) was demolished? It looks like a rather small restaurant is being built. If so, IMO it is a sad waste of a valuable potential multi-story development site.
I assume you mean 19th and West End. That will be an AT&T store. It does seem like a small store for such a prominent and expensive piece of property, but I bet those stores generate a bazillion dollars in sales and can afford it. Especially in a neighborhood like this with all the potential walkup business from Vandy, etc.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 1:33 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Nice updates everyone.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 3:05 AM

Nashville looks very impressive!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 4:19 AM

A couple of questions.... Is Sobro considered a part of downtown?

Where is Vandy from this perspective?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations