HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 12:38 AM
BANNED

Tunnel between Russia and Alaska

Whats the word on this? Last I read it was only in the proposed stage. Russia is all gung ho about it. Apparently they'll fund the entire thing. What the word from the government on our side of the world? And more importantly how do US citizens feel about it?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 2:13 AM

Probably "Let those silly Russkies waste their money on it."

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 4:56 AM

^Now that is the kind of attitude that is crippling any improvement of Russian-American ties; I say build it, but both pay for it fairly.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 2:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Probably "Let those silly Russkies waste their money on it."
I agree!

but for real why would they want to do this.
there is no really good reson for it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 4:31 PM
Beer Stampede

^Now that is the kind of attitude that is crippling any improvement of Russian-American ties; I say build it, but both pay for it fairly.

Build it for what?? It's not like building a tunnel to link France and England. That made sense. You're talking about linking two of the most remote places on the planet spending billions of dollars. Hey, if Russia wants to fund it, fine. Let them do it!!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 5:20 PM

^I don't think you understand. Alaska's economy will have grown greatly by the time it's finished.

Because of the melting of the Northern Passage, and the increasing likelyhood of offshore oil drilling taking place in the near future, i'd say the reasons for building such a tunnel are increasing.

Plus don't forget that Russia's economy is on the rise as well.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post

Build it for what?? It's not like building a tunnel to link France and England. That made sense. You're talking about linking two of the most remote places on the planet spending billions of dollars. Hey, if Russia wants to fund it, fine. Let them do it!!
i agree
there is no reson to build it. and if we dont want it why should we pay for it!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Plus don't forget that Russia's economy is on the rise as well.
thats funny.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 4:27 AM
Beer Stampede

Why does Russia want to build it?? Regardless of how their economies are, can't a boat or a pipeline be just as effective?? That tunnel will only serve Alaska!! (on the U.S. side) I don't see people from the lower 48 states spending 4 dollar a gallon gas driving up there to use it to get to Moscow. Flying to Russia would be cheaper!

Another question. What does the U.S. gain by having it built??

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 6:58 PM

Actually, I was going to get to that; I was thinking of it being one of those Future Super High-Speed International Rail Lines; you know, kinda like that visionary Transatlantic Tunnel with Air-Tight chambers to make the train go much faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
thats funny.

Umm, you might want to read news on the internet again. Besides, I just got the lates Nat. Geographic, and it talks about how Russia has the largest proven oil reserves outside the Middle-East, and how it is raking in Tens of Billions of $'s because of it.

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Jul 22, 2008 at 8:28 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 2:37 AM
I'm just joking.

maybe Sen. Ted Stevens is behind this after his bridge failed....

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 9:52 PM
Beer Stampede

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post

Umm, you might want to read news on the internet again. Besides, I just got the lates Nat. Geographic, and it talks about how Russia has the largest proven oil reserves outside the Middle-East, and how it is raking in Tens of Billions of $'s because of it.
I'm certainly not disagreeing with you on Russia's economy. Although I haven't studied up on that, or their oil reserves. But it just seems like a waste of money. Besides, I'm not a geologist or anything, but aren't there tectonic plates that divide that area? If so, I would think that would be potentially dangerous to straddle that across plates that are capable of shifting. Even a few inches would be bad!! Plus maintaining it on a regular basis. Those are my questions!!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:

ya but i dont think a little oil is going to change its economy like a boom town. they got a lot of promblems in that country.
and why would it matter to us we dont really trade with them and correct me if im wroung.
theres no logical reson to build this thing.
and dont we want to be as far awey from them as possible?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
ya but i dont think a little oil is going to change its economy like a boom town. they got a lot of promblems in that country.
and why would it matter to us we dont really trade with them and correct me if im wroung.
theres no logical reson to build this thing.
and dont we want to be as far awey from them as possible?
They probably want to collect tarriffs on an overland trade route to other parts of Asia, and possibly even Europe.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
I'm certainly not disagreeing with you on Russia's economy. Although I haven't studied up on that, or their oil reserves. But it just seems like a waste of money. Besides, I'm not a geologist or anything, but aren't there tectonic plates that divide that area? If so, I would think that would be potentially dangerous to straddle that across plates that are capable of shifting. Even a few inches would be bad!! Plus maintaining it on a regular basis. Those are my questions!!
Yeah, but then again, look at Palmdale.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 1:58 AM
Beer Stampede

True, the San Andreas Fault is no friend to infrastructure, but highways can be rebuilt easier than a tunnel!! Think of the headaches they're having with the Big-Dig out in Boston!! If the weather wasn't such a factor they (Russians) would be better of building a bridge or a causeway of some kind!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 5:16 AM

kcexpress69, I believe there was something on that on Extreme Engineering; one major hurdle is the increasingly high threat of icebergs, especially with Global Warming accelerating the melting of glaciers in the Arctic.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2008, 3:41 AM
Beer Stampede

They would have to figure out a way to monitor them. Kind of the same way we monitor asteroids. Obviously the bigger the ice above the water, the more massive it will be underneath. Cool picture btw.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 8:22 PM

Indeed; what is it? 85% of an iceberg is below the surface?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2008, 10:39 PM

would be cool, could drive to almost anywhere on earth, cept australia and all the little islands

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States