HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 12:47 PM
Closed account

Tiger-Cats plan to blow your socks off

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have some big plans for their season opening game next month.

For the first time since 1977, the Cats will open the CFL season at Ivor Wynne Stadium when they host the Montreal Alouettes on [Thu] June 26th.

Vice President of Business Affairs Mark Bowden says get ready for a big show.

He says the opening game will be flooded with pyrotechnics and highlight by a never before seen halftime show by Hamilton magician Greg Frewin.

Bowden says Frewin's show will include a pack of tigers.

http://900chml.com/Channels/Reg/News...spx?ID=1009801

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hulk's in town!
Siskowic could be an incredible find for Tabbies

June 11, 2008
Ken Peters
The Hamilton Spectator

Another Hollywood remake of the Incredible Hulk, this one starring Edward Norton, opens in theatres Friday.

Movie buffs will recall that parts of this film were shot in downtown Hamilton.

And the complete-Hamilton version, starring Cameron Siskowic, will be marking its Steeltown premiere tomorrow night at Ivor Wynne Stadium.

Cameron Siskowic?

"Just call him the Hulk," Hamilton head coach Charlie Taaffe quipped last week when asked about the rookie linebacker prospect out of Illinois State.

"He is a physical specimen," agrees GM Bob O'Billovich who lured the 6-foot-2, 225-pounder across the border.

The San Diego native takes the ribbing in stride. And he has heard a lot of it.

"I get it a lot. Taaffe calls me the Hulk. The defensive backs call me the Iron Man. The wide receivers call me Latimer from (the 1993 football themed movie) The Program.

"I don't know if I take pride in it. I take a lot of crap from the guys," he laughs. "I guess when you try and eat 400 grams of protein a day and you try to be real disciplined in the off-season and you work out as hard as I do, I guess it's nice to be called something funny like the Hulk."

With his bulky biceps, a solid six-pack for abdominals and close-cropped hairstyle, Siskowic looks like a guy who might tear your head off. On the field.

There is no doubt Siskowic has enjoyed his share of protein shakes and lifted eons of iron. But he brings a lot more to the table than just brawn. He's physical. But he can track an opponent with impressive quickness.

"This game, with all the speed and covering the wide receivers and having so much open space, I'd like to be at 220 and be as big as I possibly can, as strong as I possibly can but most important as fast as I possibly can. That's where I want to distinguish myself, being a fast linebacker and having versatility to play different positions," he said.

O'Billovich had Siskowic on his radar since last season when the recruit had a tryout with the Cincinnati Bengals and the Minnesota Vikings. When the latter scenario failed to pan out, he set his sights on Canada.

Siskowic, who has the words 'persevere and adversity' tattooed on his right biceps, knows his share of both. He lost his father when he was 17. And he's a cancer survivor.

At age 15, doctors discovered a cancerous lump in his lower back. It was eventually removed but not before a few scary weeks when Siskowic wondered if the lump might spread.

"It changes the way you look at things. And it really makes you look at the one life you have to live. And it makes you want to take advantage of every opportunity."

And that's just what he sees in Steeltown. An opportunity to find a football home. A permanent home. He hopes he has found it.

"You know when you get to a town and you just have a feeling. You're just meant to be there. When I went to Illinois State, I had that feeling. And that's what I get here, I get a real hometown feeling. Everyone is so nice.

"All I heard coming into Hamilton was that it is a steeltown, the fans are great. Hess Village and the different places to go and places to eat, I've really enjoyed myself.

"I really want to play in the CFL for the rest of my career, to be honest with you. If I can spend the next 10 or 12 years here, I would be the happiest football player in the world."

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 1:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

Jeez look at the size of those pipes! I wouldn't wanna mess with him lol.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 5:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Cogeco And Cable 14 To Air Tiger-Cats Preseason Opener

Hamilton, Ontario -- The Hamilton Tiger-Cats will team up with Cogeco Cable and Cable 14 for a commercial-free live broadcast of Thursday's pre-season game between the Ticats and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

CFL Live: Cogeco Kick-Off' will begin at 7:00 p.m. on Thursday, June 12, play-by-play announcer Todd Crocker and colour analyst Neil Lumsden will bring you the action live from Ivor Wynne Stadium along with sideline reporter Don Edwards.

Ticats players and staff will be interviewed from the sidelines during breaks over the course of the evening to preview the 2008 season.

The game will be available on TVCOGECO throughout the Golden Horseshoe. Cogeco subscribers in the entire Niagara region as well as Burlington, Oakville and the Milton area will be able to catch all the action live.

The entire contest will be replayed on Cable 14 in Hamilton on Friday and Saturday at noon as well on Friday night at 7:00 p.m.

"Cogeco is proud to partner once again with Cable 14 and the Ticats once again this year to bring football fans the first glimpse of this year's exciting on-field talent," notes Cogeco's Maureen Tilson-Dyment, Senior Director of Ontario Communications and Programming and long-time Ticats fan.

The Ticats preseason debut will also be simulcast on the team's flagship radio station AM 900 CHML and Y108.

For ticket information, call the Ticats sales staff at 905-547-CATS.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2008, 5:10 PM
reilu meininki

I was kind of bummed out, since I was looking for someone to talk to about getting a sideline press pass (I'm an amatuer photographer, looking to get into sports photography) for one of the preseason games.. but I was promptly rejected, stating I had to be with the contracted agency.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

TigerTown Unites On Opening Night

Hamilton, Ontario - The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced today an action-packed event lineup for the CFL Home Opener, presented by Primus, at Ivor Wynne Stadium on Thursday, June 26th.

"It is a great honour for us in Hamilton to kick off the season opener for the CFL in what is always one of the most anticipated games of the Canadian sports scene," said president Scott Mitchell. "It is a marquee event and we owe it to our great league and all of the fans in TigerTown to kickoff the 2008 season in an exciting and unique fashion. We have spent considerable time and effort in making sure this will be a season opener worth remembering for all CFL fans, and it is most definitely a 'must see event'. From the newly created pre-game parties, to an unbelievable halftime show and onto the final whistle, there is going to be constant entertainment for our fans throughout Ivor Wynne. This is a new era in Tiger- Cats football, and we want to invite all of our fans to join us in TigerTown for the kickoff to the CFL season."

The game will also launch the CFL's 'This is Our League' campaign, which highlights the game's unique ability to bring Canadians together - a sentiment captured in a moving CFL produced video that will be aired in stadium during the game - and the season debut of the CFL on TSN, now the league's exclusive television partner and the new network of the Grey Cup.

"We are looking forward to a great season of football on the field, and a year-long celebration of our league and what it means to our country beyond the sidelines," said Mark Cohon, Commissioner of the Canadian Football League. "I know that celebration will get off to a tremendous start with our league opener in Hamilton. Bob Young and the entire Tiger-Cats organization are going all out to ensure it's going to be a very special night."

One of the highlights of the night will allow TigerTown fans to be part of sports history when they witness illusionist, former Las Vegas star and International Entertainer of the Year, Greg Frewin, perform an illusion never before attempted at a live sporting event.

"I am thrilled to head back to my hometown of Hamilton for the CFL season opener," said Frewin. "On top of that, attempting an illusion that has never been done in professional sports is going to be exciting for me and for everyone in attendance."

Comedian and actor Martin Short also returns to his hometown of Hamilton to take in all the excitement of opening night at Ivor Wynne Stadium.

"Some of the greatest moments of my childhood were spent at Ivor Wynne Stadium cheering on Bernie Faloney and the boys," said Short. "There's nothing hipper than the CFL. I pity the American's envy."

Other must-see opening night highlights include:

- F-14 fighter jets and a warplane from the Canadian Warplane Heritage

Museum will once again add to the roar at Ivor Wynne when they fly over top of the stadium moments before the opening whistle to celebrate Canada and its only truly Canadian professional sports league, the Canadian Football League.

- The electrifying new Ticats team intro when pyrotechnics, a new opening animation and exciting and energetic displays all culminate to lead the 2008 Ticats on to the field in dramatic fashion.

- A stunning, brand new line of Ticats merchandise will be available to fans in four beautiful new kiosks located throughout the stadium.

- The 2008 Ticats Cheerleaders, presented by The London Tap House, unveil the 2008 team in their brand new uniforms.

This and so much more will be sure to make Thursday, June 26th a night to remember.

Fans are encouraged to arrive early as the excitement gets underway when the gates open at 5:30pm for all the pregame festivities. The revamped Pepsi Pre-game area and brand new Carling Zone will host live bands and interactive games and contests for fans to take in prior to the game.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 3:34 AM

Supposedly the Cats are going to blackout two home games this summer. This idea seems a bit halfwitted to me. I'd rather have the casual fan be able to see every game and talking about it the next day, at the expense of maybe a thousand extra fans.

I think it is especially important for kids too, who wouldn't be able to make the choice to go to the game anyways, to be able to watch the Cats and become a fan rather than becoming a fan of some random NFL team in a crappy, dying Midwestern town they'll never visit because all their games are available on TV.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 3:40 AM
Closed account

I think they ment to say CF-18 flighter jets seeing as how we don't own any F-14 and the US has retired them. Oh well still cool

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 3:31 PM
Closed account

28 points last night???
holy crow.
Is the CFL awarding 14 points per field goal this year??

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:08 PM
Hammer'd

Heh, I was surprised to see that as well.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 9:15 PM
Closed account

hahahaha keep in mind:

During pre-season, the Ti-Cats usually play their best against the other teams' 'hopefuls' haha We won the 2 pre-season games both last year AND the year b4, and we know how the regular season ended up! haha

Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 9:56 PM
Closed account

actually, this is 3 years in a row we've gone undefeated in the pre-season.
Get ready for another loooooooooooong year.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 6:01 AM

I was at the game last night. I'm actually a lot more optimistic than I was going in. I figure 8 and 10 is definitely achievable. The soft bigotry of low expectations maybe, but I think Hamilton could be the slight favourite in their home opener against Montreal.

Just as an aside, the Rogers center is a weird place to see a football game...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2008, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Just as an aside, the Rogers center is a weird place to see a football game...
$600 million + with crappy sightlines for football...probably the worst in the league...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 5:11 AM

Wow that was a rough game. I think the only thing I liked was the magician...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 12:24 PM
Hammer'd

I'm going to guess we lost...

edit: oh yah. we freaking did. ouch.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 1:53 AM

...the season can only get better, right? Right???

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 12:10 AM
It's Hammer Time

I see Danny Mac is part of the coaching staff today. Looks good, he's got his heart on the team.

I bet he'll replace Charlie in the future.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 1:53 AM
It's Hammer Time

First time in 7 years the Ti Cats beat the Argos in Skydome. Yay!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 2:32 AM

Damn, I wish I went to the game now. May the Cats can beat the Riders next week and go 2 and 1.

Go Cats!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation