HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 2:53 PM

How did you discover SSP?

The "Say a few things about yourself" thread in the Halifax forum got me thinking about how all of you first discovered SSP?

I was given a book a few years ago about the history of Cape Breton, and in the book they talked about Cabot House the first high rise constructed on Cape Breton. I saw the building in person before but decided to google image it and noticed the diagram section of this website. I noticed the forum and checked it out and later decided to sign up.

It was a blessing in disguise as it encouraged me to study Geomatics.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I've been living vicariously via family and friends in St. John's for the past several years spent on the mainland. When I was finally able to move home in June, I was just... bursting with excitement to be back. I wanted to follow every little thing happening in the city - so I joined every Facebook group, every possible thing one could reasonably find.

SSP turned out to be the best of them all. And it's really very well-read in St. John's, which is nice. It seems just about everyone involved in building and growing our city ends up here - so it really makes you feel connected. Also, in many ways, I'm of a minority opinion here (for example, I tend to be more attached to heritage buildings than many St. John's members) - so it's great to be challenged in that way as well.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:10 PM

Google, baby! Who else

Speaking of which, I thought I'd mention other forums I frequent, figuring many of us share similar interests. It's a Quebec-centric list, as I'm from there...

Skyscrapercity: just a crappy version of SSP where I go to overdose on city discussions.

Citydata: where I go to admire the U.S. left's fascinating struggle against stubborn American conservatism.

Mtlurb: Well, I'm from ''MTL''. Anyone with information on how this forum emerged from a nasty break-up with SSP, please share! Scandalicious.

Politiquebec: If you understand french I highly recommend this forum. An outstanding source of intelligent debates.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:36 PM
Community Guy

Living in Vancouver in 2002, I wanted a way to keep tabs on what was going on in Edmonton... google.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 3:54 PM
Majestic

It's all vid's fault.

Flickr

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:01 PM

My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I were planning to buy a condo and Google searches allowed me to find this great list of proposed and under construction projects in Ottawa. My father being an urban planner (now retired), we have always spent a lot of time talking about planning issues and the future of our city so I was quite happy to find all the threads discussing the same issues. I check every day or two in our local and the Canada section. Once a month or so I check the supertall thread to keep an eye on the rest of the world.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:19 PM

I was always fascinated by city skylines, especially at night. One day I was googling different city skyline pics to see what other cities I haven't been to looked like, and that's when I discovered SSP. I would go on the site regularly for about a year before I finally became a registered member. I love everything that I have learned about all our great cities in this country, foreign cities as well.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:25 PM
Go Chiefs!

I don't remember if it was exactly that but I searched on Google "tallest buildings U/C in Canada".

I used Emporis before that so I did find this site to be an upgrade.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 4:54 PM
digital b0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I was always fascinated by city skylines, especially at night. One day I was googling different city skyline pics to see what other cities I haven't been to looked like, and that's when I discovered SSP. I would go on the site regularly for about a year before I finally became a registered member. I love everything that I have learned about all our great cities in this country, foreign cities as well.
same story as this gentleman...

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 5:28 PM

Google got me here. I can't recall what I was searching for, but I think it was a few things that lead me to hits on this site. Usually I got my info and left, but once I decided to stick around; created an account and now it's got a permanent tab on my browser windows. It's been a great site for keeping an ear on what's happening in the Maritimes, or at least in NB's cities.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 5:59 PM

A couple of years ago I wanted to know what was going to be built in downtown Edmonton in the coming years, so I googled and came up with Emporis first then SSP.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 6:17 PM

I think I was reading about the Bow on Wikipedia, and somehow got linked to a thread about it here.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 6:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I used to post regularly on skyscrapers.com, which became emporis (and when it became the latter, began to suck royally). Some disgruntled posters on emporis mentioned SSP. I joined immediately.

Even though I hail from Montreal, I avoid MTL.urb on account of Malek, a former SSP forumer.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 6:33 PM

Looking for information on the Bow a few years ago stumbled across this site, haven't looked back since.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 6:40 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

discovered ssc on simtropolis and then this places was mentioned on ssc and the rest is history these events are months apart

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 6:51 PM

googling pictures of trump toronto, I came across a photo by caltrane I think, posted on its thread. That would be December 2009, and about a month later I would make this account.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 6:55 PM
Editor

Same for me. I found this site, and it was bye bye Emporis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

I used Emporis before that so I did find this site to be an upgrade.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 7:23 PM
HVAC guru

Was working as an estimator in the commerical construction industry.. found this site while researching an upcoming project

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 7:33 PM

Google search back in 1999

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 9:38 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Wikipedia lead to Emporis, Emporis lead to SkyscraperCity, SkyscraperCity lead to Skyscraper Page.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada