HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Perhaps there is a difference in the price of rent if you have an entrance inside the mall?

For example, would an entrance inside the mall (assuming it's open during non-mall hours) entail extra potential costs for the mall in terms of security?

I dunno...

Last edited by Acajack; Mar 22, 2018 at 3:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:09 PM
Busy Beaver

It allows these restaurants to open completely independent of mall hours. Although public access to the mall is supposed to be extended beyond store hours, I bet there will be moves to limit it to a minimum after the LRT opens.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
It allows these restaurants to open completely independent of mall hours. Although public access to the mall is supposed to be extended beyond store hours, I bet there will be moves to limit it to a minimum after the LRT opens.
Are the mall concourses not open pretty late as it stands now?

I was there around midnight on a weeknight around a month or so ago and it was open - though I didn't go that far in from Rideau but there aren't any gates AFAIK within the mall that close off certain sections of it anyway.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:32 PM

[QUOTE=kevinbottawa;8128589]Paramount is opening soon. When you walk by you can see that the renovations are almost done.

A second Paramount will open at the food court at The Learning Crossroads at uOttawa later this year.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:53 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
I just wish that there was access from inside the Rideau Center. The fact that Joeys, Scores and Paramount all are inside the mall but only have exterior entrances seems like a massive oversight to me.
I disagree. I think having them outward facing gives much more oomph and street presence to that section of Rideau. Once the LRT station there is completed it should be a much better walk than previously.

That, and external entrances means they can dictate their own hours independent of interior mall hours.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
That, and external entrances means they can dictate their own hours independent of interior mall hours.
Well... would it not be feasible to have interior facing doors that lock after the mall closes ??

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I disagree. I think having them outward facing gives much more oomph and street presence to that section of Rideau. Once the LRT station there is completed it should be a much better walk than previously.

If I were to have to choose between exterior (on Rideau) and interior (the mall), I'd choose exterior. But the best is to have both.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:38 PM

Quote:

Just by looking at the map of the Rideau Center, there's no reason why either Joey or Score can't have both an external entrance and an internal mall entrance.

As HighwayStar mentioned, the inside entrance could be locked when the mall closes, though I've noticed that the mall concourse stays open later than the restaurants anyways.

Right now, none of these restaurants feel integrated into the mall, despite being tenants of the mall. I know when I went to Joeys Rideau with my wife on a bitter winter night, we would've appreciated an inside mall entrance over having to go outside to get into the restaurant.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:09 PM

Yeah I think Rideau dropped the ball a little bit by not making an interior entrance but it most likely had to do with prices that would not justify doing so.

I'm also not a fan of Paramount in the slightest. I find it's just a mediocre version of my favourite shawarma spots. I'm curious to see how they do in the shawarma capital and in an area where there is no shortage of some of the city's best restaurants.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 6:49 PM

^I agree. The mall is already pretty full and vibrant. What was lacking before the renovations was Rideau street... Everything had its backed turned to Rideau before... With the revamp, the new street fronts and doors opening up to Rideau Street have made a huge difference in the environment.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^I agree. The mall is already pretty full and vibrant. What was lacking before the renovations was Rideau street... Everything had its backed turned to Rideau before... With the revamp, the new street fronts and doors opening up to Rideau Street have made a huge difference in the environment.
From an urbanist perspective, I approve of making the streetscape more lively.
--Between build-and-run developers, budget-conscious planning departments, reactionary community associations and their city councillors, and the unaccountable OMB, we have more than enough bad actors sharing more than enough pathologies and perverse incentives.-David Reevely--

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 3:07 PM

I don't think that many oppose the idea of storefronts opening out onto Rideau, it was just a question as to why they don't also have direct access to the mall.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 4:16 PM
Busy Beaver

Here's an interesting article that touches on the subject:
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...in-malls-trend

I guess ventilation is a factor, and they don't necessarily want food smells wafting into the mall. I also suspect LCBO licensing might be a minor reason, maybe it's less complicated if the space is not connected directly to the mall?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I don't think that many oppose the idea of storefronts opening out onto Rideau, it was just a question as to why they don't also have direct access to the mall.
As a restaurant manager, I can tell you that having multiple entrances is problematic as guests expect to be greeted promptly, and during quieter hours when staffing levels are lower, it becomes impossible to serve customers as well as greet people in more than one spot. During busier times, it also becomes more difficult to manage wait lists, as who came in first? You also run into the issue of people cutting through the restaurant to get somewhere, disrupting guests, and making it easier for dine and dashes.
--Between build-and-run developers, budget-conscious planning departments, reactionary community associations and their city councillors, and the unaccountable OMB, we have more than enough bad actors sharing more than enough pathologies and perverse incentives.-David Reevely--

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
As a restaurant manager, I can tell you that having multiple entrances is problematic as guests expect to be greeted promptly, and during quieter hours when staffing levels are lower, it becomes impossible to serve customers as well as greet people in more than one spot. During busier times, it also becomes more difficult to manage wait lists, as who came in first? You also run into the issue of people cutting through the restaurant to get somewhere, disrupting guests, and making it easier for dine and dashes.
I can absolutely see this being the case. Entering East Side Mario's at St. Laurent from the mall entrance is always an awkward experience.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 3:59 AM

The only places I have seen where this works is when the exterior and mall entrances lead to the same "lobby". La Belle & La Boeuf in les Promenades is a good example.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
I can absolutely see this being the case. Entering East Side Mario's at St. Laurent from the mall entrance is always an awkward experience.
Same problem with the Walmart at Blair (Gloucester Centre): 2 entrances, inconvenient and ankward for both employees and customers.

Old Posted May 5, 2018, 3:49 PM

MontBlanc at Rideau has closed. Hadn’t it just opened?

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWhopeful View Post
MontBlanc at Rideau has closed. Hadn’t it just opened?
I have a feeling a lot of the luxury stores at Rideau will close over the next year.

Old Posted May 6, 2018, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I have a feeling a lot of the luxury stores at Rideau will close over the next year.
Tough times for retail everywhere and Ecommerce is just beginning

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa