HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 2:36 AM

Yep Plano catching up, but sad that the waterfront is delayed if I had to guess I bet it was because of the leaves should just fund the money to get it fix. Other than that the Dallas metroplex is experiencing a small boom glad to see different projects being built.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Wow, cant believe they are building a tower in Plano. I used to live there when I was a little kid, there was nothing there, the light rail hadnt even reached it yet. It looks like a whole bunch of new urbanist stuff has been built in the main street area. Pretty cool.
Don't know when you were last in Plano, but sounds like it has been quite sometime. You would be rather shocked. Downtown Plano is quaint and not too much has changed there except for some urban type apartments and townhomes. Go out to east Plano along parker road and it is just about all built out except for in the flood plain. Out on the west side you have Granite park, Legacy business park and Legacy Town Center which is a large urban mixed use development (retail, apartments, offices, office towers, small lake, park, hotel..etc.)

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 9:26 AM

Work under way for $800M hospital at UTSW

Quote:
Southwestern official: ‘You have to have more patients and opportunity’
Dallas Business Journal - by Bill Hethcock, Staff writer
Date: Friday, April 1, 2011, 5:00am CDT

Related:Insurance

The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center has started preconstruction work on an $800 million, 460-bed hospital that will create as many as 1,000 jobs when it opens in early 2015 and will attract top doctors and researchers to North Texas.

University Hospital’s mission is to integrate comprehensive patient care, research and education into a larger facility, said Dr. John Warner, a cardiologist and assistant vice president for hospital planning.

Read more: Work under way for $800M hospital at UTSW | Dallas Business Journal
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/pr...spital-at.html

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 9:33 AM

$52M Austin Ranch project set

Quote:
Billingsley planning 558 townhomes, apartments
Dallas Business Journal - by Candace Carlisle, Staff writer
Date: Friday, April 1, 2011, 5:00am CDT
Related:Commercial Real Estate, Retailing & Restaurants, Residential Real Estate

Read more: $52M Austin Ranch project set | Dallas Business Journal

A $52 million multifamily and luxury townhome project at Austin Ranch is in the preliminary stages of development.

The phase will include 558 multifamily units, including 123 townhomes and 435 apartments.

Billingsley Co., the developer of Austin Ranch, which lies on more than 1,900 acres in The Colony, plans to break ground on the new project in June, said Lucy Burns, a partner with the Dallas-based firm.

Read more: $52M Austin Ranch project set | Dallas Business Journal
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/pr...oject-set.html

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 9:28 AM

"North of Ross is the New Downtown."

Quote:
By Robert Wilonsky, Thu., Apr. 7 2011 @ 1:42PM Categories: Development

Wuh-oh. Hang on. Looks like you can forget that Downtown Dallas 360 plan. Why? Well, says right here: "North of Ross is the new downtown. South of Ross is a problem." At least, that's what Billinglsey Co. President and Chief Operating Officer Michael O'Hanlon says today in a National Real Estate Investor piece about the race to build, baby, build more, more, more office space in and around the Arts District. Then again, O'Hanlon would say that: After all, Lucy Billingsley put One Arts Plaza on the market earlier this year to finance the building of Two Arts Plaza, which, if all goes according to plan, will be followed by Three Arts Plaza.

Which is but one bit of development planned for that part of town: The piece mentions that Craig Hall -- remember him? -- still plans on building his long-stalled Arts District tower ... at some point. Possibly. More than likely. Maybe.
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa..._new_downt.php

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 9:36 AM

City Proposes Redesign of Second Calatrava Bridge to Green-Light Construction in Mid-2012 and Add Pedestrian and Bicycle Components

Quote:
By Sam Merten, Sat., Apr. 2 2011 @ 10:00AM Comments (31) Categories: City Hall, Transportation, Trinity River Project.

Following Thursday afternoon's presser celebrating the anticipated approval of a plan to restore the Trinity River levee system's 100-year flood protection, we asked City Manager Mary Suhm about the progress of the Margaret McDermott Bridge -- the second Santiago Calatrava-designed bridge that will replace the current IH-30 bridge.

After all, construction was
once expected to begin this year, and council member Ron Natinsky at a March 23 mayoral debate said the funding gap had nearly been filled by private donations. Texas Department of Transportation's Bill Hale, the district engineer for the Dallas District, also told us one month ago the stage agency was proceeding without the city's involvement in a signature bridge because "they haven't ID'd the dollars to cover that, so we're designing it as a normal structure."

Suhm said she expected bids for construction to begin in mid-2012 but wouldn't elaborate on exactly how the funding would fall into place, claiming no city funds would be used to pay for the bridge.

"I'm working on it, OK?" she said when asked where the dough's coming from. "I don't have an answer."
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...gn_of_seco.php

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 9:53 AM

Re:Vision Dallas

Quote:
The complex problem presented by Re:Vision Dallas demanded an interdisciplinary response leveraging knowledge and experience in a range of fields. Various Architects gathered and led a team of 27 individuals which included architects, engineers of nearly every sort, sustainability consultants, landscape architects, permaculturists, and educators. While our proposal is ambitious, it is also grounded in the expertise and experience of these individuals. In other words, it is feasible. While many of the ideas are unique, they have been carefully considered and our team has the requisite expertise to execute the project in a productive collaboration with the client and the city of Dallas.

The result of this collaborative effort is a carbon-negative housing scheme that uses a combination of simple environmental principles to create 537 unique apartments with a strong sense of community, urban vegitable gardens, zero-wastewater, great daylight, natural ventilation, passive heating and cooling, and massive 1.46 mW of solar pv power generation.
http://variousarchitects.no/project/revision_dallas/

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 6:18 PM

This is one of the finest shots of Dallas Museum Tower under construction that I've ever seen. Excellent quality and a great angle!

It was taken this morning, 04-08-11, from a window in the 708 foot tall, 50 story Trammel Crow Tower in Downtown Dallas.

Credit for the exceptional photo goes to Cranium on the Dallas Metropolis forum. Well done indeed!

As a note, in the upper left corner of the photo one can see the American Airlines Center (AAC). A 300 foot tall, 23 story luxury apartment tower is currently under construction just across from the AAC called 1400 Hi Line. The cool webcam view of 1400 Hi Line's progress is here:

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/rogersobrien/hiline

And the 14 story (in equivalent height) Perot Museum of Nature and Science is under construction just a few blocks west of Museum Tower at the other end of the Woodall Rodgers Urban Park. The view of it is blocked by the cluster of towers on the left hand side of this image. An updated photo of its progress is posted immediately below this post.

In the meantime, enjoy the view of Museum Tower under construction courtesy of Cranium:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by skys the limit; Apr 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 6:23 PM

This is a really great shot of the 14 story (in equivalent height) Perot Museum of Nature and Science that is under construction in the Victory Park District of Downtown Dallas.

It was taken today, 04-08-11. I believe it was shot from One Victory Tower just immediately west of the new Museum.

Credit for this excellent photo goes to JohnMcKee of the Dallas Metropolis forum.

For those who wish to monitor the construction progress of the Perot Museum, here is its webcam: http://www.natureandscience.org/expansion/default.asp

The Perot Museum is located just a few blocks west of Museum Tower on the other end of the Woodall Rodgers Urban Park and positioned on the north side of Woodall Rodgers Expressway.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by skys the limit; Apr 8, 2011 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 7:45 PM
high five!

Another Museum Tower photo from today:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 8:13 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Wow, just simply wow!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 8:16 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
So this is a real proposal?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 8:39 AM

It's more of a concept, trying to get different ideas of what the project could look like. The rendering below is the real proposal. Also I really do hope they build the concept I posted above.

http://www.revision-dallas.com/

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 10:34 AM

You Didn't Forget About That Glorypark Lawsuit, Did You? These Guys Haven't.

Quote:
By Robert Wilonsky, Thu., Apr. 7 2011 @ 5:09PM Comments (5) Categories: Biz, Sports

One day, perhaps later than sooner, there will be a resolution over how much, if anything, Tom Hicks or the present owners of the Texas Rangers owe over that failed Glorypark development that was to have been built next to the Ballpark in Arlington. But for now, that case remains in limbo -- somewhere between U.S. Bankruptcy Court and U.S. District Court, both in Fort Worth. Which is a long way from where it began in February 2010, in Dallas County District Court.

For some reason -- curious and bored, I'd say -- I hopped on to the Texas Rangers Baseball Partners Site to see what, if anything, was happening over there. And it turns out the site, which was created to host all the court docs filed after Hicks's Texas Rangers Baseball Partners (TRBP) filed for Chapter 11 in May 2010, is alive and well. The main reason: RTKL -- the architecture firm hired by Hicks Holdings, Steiner + Associates and myriad other Hicks-related companies to develop Glorypark, a 25,000-square-foot retail store and other features in and around the ballpark -- and Vratsinas Construction Company still want their money.

Problem is, Hicks and the team's current owners, Ray Davis and Bob Simpson and the rest of Rangers Baseball Express (RBE), have been fighting ever since the team's sale last summer over who owes what when it comes to outstanding debts. That's in large part because the fourth and final plan of reorganization, which was hashed out late at night right before the auction, was vague when it came to determining who was responsible for what -- including, word is, who owes for those private-jet bills.

Same goes for Glorypark.
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...ut_that_la.php

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 11:26 AM

I know this project isn't proposed for Dallas but can't stop to help that wishing all these buildings proposed from other parts of the world can have an effect on Dallas.

If Dallas can create a World Class Arts District, a higher class of living in and around downtown, and have a mordern class transportation system then surely we can have our own version of a rotating tower. Sorry Big Dreams...

http://www.dynamicarchitecture.net/i...id=15&lang=eng

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 8:29 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
It's more of a concept, trying to get different ideas of what the project could look like. The rendering below is the real proposal. Also I really do hope they build the concept I posted above.

http://www.revision-dallas.com/
Thanks, and I think I like the other concept better.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 8:38 PM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
I know this project isn't proposed for Dallas but can't stop to help that wishing all these buildings proposed from other parts of the world can have an effect on Dallas.

If Dallas can create a World Class Arts District, a higher class of living in and around downtown, and have a mordern class transportation system then surely we can have our own version of a rotating tower. Sorry Big Dreams...

http://www.dynamicarchitecture.net/i...id=15&lang=eng
My thing is those extreme prototype architecture buildings seem abit iffy. I would weather something like that to be build somewhere else first to see if it is really worth investing into rather than have a possible economic risk. Even though I doubt anything like that would be approved in Dallas anyway.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 11:49 AM

We'll never know until we build it, although I do agree about it. It may be to soon for Dallas to have something like that, then again it could be the oppisite so I'm confused??? anyways I found this on the Dallas Observer

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...tes_posted.php

Quiet the New York in Dallas.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
We'll never know until we build it, although I do agree about it. It may be to soon for Dallas to have something like that, then again it could be the oppisite so I'm confused??? anyways I found this on the Dallas Observer

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...tes_posted.php

Quiet the New York in Dallas.
Looks like it though.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 11:16 PM

Future!

THIS IS A PHOTOSHOP I DIDNT MAKE!! I FOUND ON INTERNET! BUT ITS AWESOME!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations