HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 5:23 PM
Up Up and Away

I've said it before and I'll say it again. SLC is looking great.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 1:24 AM

Utah ranks second on 'Gold Standard' list for pro-business states

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ss-states.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah ranks second on the list of Pollina Corporate Top 10 Pro-Business States for 2010, marking the second year in a row the Beehive State has achieved that ranking.

The ranking, which is informally referred to as the "Gold Standard," is devised to recognize those states "that serve as a model for the rest of the country in job retention and creation."...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 1:47 AM

Have you guys ever wondered how similar "The Promontory" looks to the Californian on Wilshire in LA?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 3:05 AM
Chairman

I do not see much of a resemblance.

...also that is some major economic news for Utah. Along with the Adobe campus, this would make three multi-billion dollar developments? CCC and NSA being the other two?

-sb

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 11:13 AM

Downtown - Overview of the Crossroads Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post

By John Martin

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 7:36 PM

So any idea what other retail stores and restaurants are coming to the CCC?

Since Taubman is in charge of leasing, I have confidence that the stores will be the highest end Utah can attract at the moment. (Taubman owns/operates the Beverly Center in LA and Cherry Creek in Denver, which are both really high end.)

In one of the renderings I saw "American Apparel," but am a bit confused since American Apparel is already at the Trolley Square mall down the street.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
I do not see much of a resemblance.

...also that is some major economic news for Utah. Along with the Adobe campus, this would make three multi-billion dollar developments? CCC and NSA being the other two?

At this vantage point there is some resemblance I think:

source: activerain.com

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 9:43 PM

I think there's some remblance with the curved pattern at the corners and the color palette of the building in general

by John Martin

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 4:56 AM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Is it an homage... or is Art Deco making a comeback? I don't think it's a rip-off, though. It looks nice.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesBeauty View Post
Have you guys ever wondered how similar "The Promontory" looks to the Californian on Wilshire in LA?
In another thread I posted how it resembled a number of recent high-end condos in the Chicago market that have been built (which condos have been criticized by the Chicago posters here). So it's not entirely unique, but it's pretty close:

City Creek Center developments

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cats-ea...n/photostream/, Cat's Ear (John Johnston)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lizhasl...n/photostream/, Elizabeth Haslam

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 10:47 AM

SLC plans a green, semicircular police HQ

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

Updated 3 hours ago Updated Aug 11, 2010 01:22AM

Saying he is confident it will not be a “fortress” or “police monolith,” Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker helped unveil a conceptual design for a four-story public safety complex Tuesday — a $125 million voter-approved project set for completion in 2013.

Flanked by the principal architects, the mayor praised the blueprint for the new police and fire headquarters, along with an emergency-operations center, east of Library Square on the southern end of 300 East abutting 500 South.

The semicircular entrance design includes a public plaza in the center and large lobby and garden spaces on each end. Designers also plan to open the midblock Blair Street to serve as a public corridor, “not a back alley or service lane.”

The shape, says GSBS Architects’ Kevin Miller, has “inviting character.”

“This is clearly going to be a building that is going to be welcoming to the community with a lot of active space,” Becker told the City Council.

The mayor and architects pledge that the complex will not spoil mountain views from Library Square nor from City Hall.

The design calls for two levels of underground parking, a narrowed 300 East as a security buffer and some open “event” space.

North of the planned buildings, nearer the Salt Lake Roasting Co. and Barnes Bank building, the plan pencils a patch of transit-oriented development anticipated for a retail-restaurant-housing combination.

Builders of the public safety complex, Becker says, aim to create a self-supporting “net-zero” energy structure, which partially explains the curved walls. At a minimum, the police-fire administration center will meet the city’s required silver status under Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.

But councilmen Soren Simonsen and Luke Garrott panned two parking ramps — drawn to connect to 500 South — which they fear could kill pedestrian life.

“That will be a monumental mistake to write off 500 South,” said Simonsen, heralding the strip’s stately trees, urban condos and independent restaurants. “This is the thing I feared about this project.”

Garrott agreed, noting the city has taken measures to enhance the walkability of 500 South. “There’s no reason,” he said, “to give it up as an on-ramp to I-15.”

Council Chairman J.T. Martin defended the design, saying 500 South already is a major corridor that sees 33,000 cars a day.

Calling the parking access a necessary evil, the architects vowed to keep access to the building pedestrian-friendly.

Little detail was given on the emergency-operations center, part of which likely will include an underground bunker. Instead, council members questioned why state lawmakers seem unwilling to partner with the city on the bunker, a move that could save taxpayers $2 million.

“Two million dollars to state residents is quite a bit of money,” Martin said.

“It seems that way to me,” Becker responded. “The state’s responsiveness has not been what we would have hoped.”

Becker says the design allows an opening for the state to help fund a joint emergency-operations center, but suggested the Legislature act soon. “Literally every day is adding cost for the state to join us.”

Earlier this summer, a legislative committee expressed little interest in the partnership despite acknowledging the state’s emergency bunker on Capitol Hill is unsatisfactory.

In November, more than 65 percent of city voters approved the $125 million public safety bond. That amount (running about $75 a year on a $260,000 home) still will cover the cost of both buildings regardless of whether the city and state join forces.

Demolition of existing buildings on the 300 East block is slated to begin Feb. 1, with construction scheduled to be visible next fall.

“This is a good change from putting it on Library Square,” Councilman Van Turner said. “It’s a delightful building. You’ve incorporated a lot of our ideas.”

First look at public safety complex concept The City Council got its first look Tuesday at a concept for the new Public Safety Building and Emergency Operations Center. The Public Safety Building would have four stories on the south side and three on the north end. The Emergency Operations Center, not yet defined, would be a separate part of the complex.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 4:44 PM

Salt Lake City - University of Utah Campus - Warnock Engineering Building, Recently Completed

by bk2000

University of Utah

by samwibatt

bk2000

by bk2000

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 10:15 AM

Downtown,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Gallivan Center construction Update

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2944029...n/photostream/, jgraphika

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 11:20 AM

Northern Metro - Ogden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Looks like "Hart Skis" is moving their HQ to downtown Ogden. This will be the 13th ski company to move to the Ogden area in the last six years.

^^^That's great news, Ogden is becoming quite the 'sport company central'. The moving and expansion to SLC metro announcememts big and small, just keep coming.

Hart Ski Corp. moves headquarters, distribution center to Ogden from Minnesota

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...Minnesota.html

OGDEN — Hart Ski Corp. has added its name to the list of ski companies pumping life into Ogden's economy...

..."We can see significant jobs coming to the area as a result of their growth, and Hart hopes eventually to be building skis in Ogden."...

CEO of Hart Ski Corp., Chris Farni, and Ogden's mayor, Matthew Godfrey announce Hart's move to Ogden during a press conference at the mayor's office in Ogden Tuesday, August 10, 2010. (Brian Nicholson, Deseret News)

Ogden lands another big ski name — Hart

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...n-ski.html.csp

...The relocation of Hart Skis headquarters from Minnesota means only a half-dozen jobs for Ogden right now. But owners of the company famous for adding metal edges to skis ultimately hope to build their products in northern Utah...

...“Once it starts, it will start a wave of manufacturing, and will bring a huge number of jobs to our area.”...

Mark J. Terrill | AP file photo Utahn Bryon Wilson won a bronze medal in the moguls competition at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics on a pair of Hart skis, a company that is moving its headquarters to Ogden.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 11:25 AM

...Northern Metro Continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Here's a list of recent projects and proposed ones for the city though:

http://www.utahurbanforum.com/ogden-...pments-f5.html

There's actually been a decent amount of development the last 5-10 years there, the main one being the Downtown Ogden mall redevelopment.

They currently have a couple of decent hotel proposals, and their biggest project is the current riverwalk / riverparkway area downtown:

Thus far they're working on demolishing old, ravaged houses in the area, and improving the actual river which has had many years of neglect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Ogden plans to torch dozens of houses

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...-burn.html.csp

Ogden • Nearly 40 abandoned homes in Ogden’s riverfront redevelopment area could deliberately go up in
flames by October in order to clear the land for construction — igniting protests by clean-air advocates who say
it could endanger the public health.

Ogden Mayor Matthew Godfrey and Fire Chief Mike Mathieu believe that burning the structures could save demolition
time and costs while providing valuable firefighter training and eliminating havens for crime...

(PAUL FRAUGHTON | The Salt Lake Tribune) Ogden City wants to burn down up to 40 houses,
including these on Kiesel Avenue near 18th Street to make way for a mixed use development near the Ogden River
Parkway which is seen at rear left. Clean-air advocates say the plan is a recipe for unhealthy pollution.
Quote:
Of course also, the complete remake of Ogden's Downtown LDS Temple and surrounding grounds is a big shot in
the arm.
The new Temple should create a huge boost for Ogden's other downtown projects. The synergy and
ancillary effects should be major. Along with the LDS Temple just announced in Brigham City, I really like the aspect
of these major religious facilities being placed at the heart of town vs. the suburbs. As with Europe, I think a
significant religious facility at the heart of the village/city can create a definite heightened amount of pedestrian
traffic and surrounding business. It occurred to me the other day as I was driving past the LDS Temple in American Fork
how I wished it had been placed on American Fork's Main Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Ogden Temple to be remodeled (nearly completely rebuilt):
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14419370?source=rss

Before:

After:

I like many of the improvements, such as moving the entrance to Washington Blvd. and putting the parking underground.
I'd almost have preferred that they just refurbish the building in its current form though. The quirkiness of the design
has grown on me over the years. On the other hand, I can see why they would make such drastic exterior changes.
The current design is almost uniformly disliked. Most young LDS couples won't get married there as they don't want
the Ogden temple in their wedding pictures.

Last edited by delts145; Aug 14, 2010 at 11:59 AM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 7:06 PM
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Very nice... Any thoughts on whether the Provo Temple also gets the extreme makeover treatment when Ogden is finished?

...And... can anyone tell me what that other building is, the one with the steeple/spire that will apparently be removed? Is it an annex to the main temple, or a chapel, visitors' center or what?

Last edited by QuarterMileSidewalk; Aug 14, 2010 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 1:34 AM

It's an LDS Tabernacle. They're basically removing the steeple. I kind like it without.

I would venture to guess they won't change the Provo one. One because with the Ogden one changing, the Provo one will now be unique, and two, because it's not located in a downtown area like the Ogden one. Part of the idea of the makover is to aide in the redevelopment of the city's downtown, which is occurring now. The Provo LDS temple is still quite popular.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 3:29 AM

...Northern Metro Continued...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Here's a list of recent projects and proposed ones for the city though:

http://www.utahurbanforum.com/ogden-...pments-f5.html

There's actually been a decent amount of development the last 5-10 years there, the main one being the Downtown Ogden mall redevelopment.

They currently have a couple of decent hotel proposals, and their biggest project is the current riverwalk / riverparkway area downtown:

Thus far they're working on demolishing old, ravaged houses in the area, and improving the actual river which has had many years of neglect.
Quote:
Ogden plans to torch dozens of houses

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50...-burn.html.csp

Ogden • Nearly 40 abandoned homes in Ogden’s riverfront redevelopment area could deliberately go up in
flames by October in order to clear the land for construction — igniting protests by clean-air advocates who say
it could endanger the public health.

Ogden Mayor Matthew Godfrey and Fire Chief Mike Mathieu believe that burning the structures could save demolition
time and costs while providing valuable firefighter training and eliminating havens for crime...

(PAUL FRAUGHTON | The Salt Lake Tribune) Ogden City wants to burn down up to 40 houses,
including these on Kiesel Avenue near 18th Street to make way for a mixed use development near the Ogden River
Parkway which is seen at rear left. Clean-air advocates say the plan is a recipe for unhealthy pollution.
Quote:
Of course also, the complete remake of Ogden's Downtown LDS Temple and surrounding grounds is a big shot in
the arm.
The new Temple should create a huge boost for Ogden's other downtown projects. The synergy and
ancillary effects should be major. Along with the LDS Temple just announced in Brigham City, I really like the aspect
of these major religious facilities being placed at the heart of town vs. the suburbs. As with Europe, I think a
significant religious facility at the heart of the village/city can create a definite heightened amount of pedestrian
traffic and surrounding business. It occurred to me the other day as I was driving past the LDS Temple in American Fork
how I wished it had been placed on American Fork's Main Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Ogden Temple to be remodeled (nearly completely rebuilt):
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14419370?source=rss

Before:

After:

I like many of the improvements, such as moving the entrance to Washington Blvd. and putting the parking underground.
I'd almost have preferred that they just refurbish the building in its current form though. The quirkiness of the design
has grown on me over the years. On the other hand, I can see why they would make such drastic exterior changes.
The current design is almost uniformly disliked. Most young LDS couples won't get married there as they don't want
the Ogden temple in their wedding pictures.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 11:12 AM

Downtown Projects - City Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post

19th Century Richard's Street rises anew...

By T-Mac

Old Posted Aug 15, 2010, 8:27 PM

Behind Kearns Building

Arrowhead Square

Last edited by H4vok; Aug 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations