HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 16, 2009, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
http://www.smirnov.net/2009/05/boise-development/

"I’m following a lot of the information at the SkyscraperPage Forums, in the Mountain West subforum. I also enjoy looking at the various picture threads posted here in the City Photos section, particularly those by user “Sawtooth.” His threads, like this this recent thread showing Boise heading into summer, are always phenomenally well done."

It is good to see that others in the community are noticing this forum. If I recall the Idaho Statesman had a blip once about Skyscraperpage.com and pictures Sawtooth had posted. It seems like the Boise Weekly had a snipit a year ago about downtown development and this forum and the pictures. Good job Sawtooth!! Your pics are among the best, if not the best, that are posted in the Mountain West. You also give everyone else in the "My City Photos" forum a run for their money

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:38 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
It is good to see that others in the community are noticing this forum. If I recall the Idaho Statesman had a blip once about Skyscraperpage.com and pictures Sawtooth had posted. It seems like the Boise Weekly had a snipit a year ago about downtown development and this forum and the pictures. Good job Sawtooth!! Your pics are among the best, if not the best, that are posted in the Mountain West. You also give everyone else in the "My City Photos" forum a run for their money
indeed, but I think the lady who was blogging about boise actually lives in Alberta Canada.. which is nice to see someone outside of idaho paying attention to the changes happening here in the city of trees

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 1:18 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
"I’m following a lot of the information at the SkyscraperPage Forums, in the Mountain West subforum. I also enjoy looking at the various picture threads posted here in the City Photos section, particularly those by user “Sawtooth.” His threads, like this this recent thread showing Boise heading into summer, are always phenomenally well done."
Nice find boiseguy. Sawtooth: unwitting celebrity.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 10:24 PM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2009, 2:08 AM
Always running Late

I wonder if they've scrapped the entire design and are looking to re-think it and start over..
As much as I like that vacant lot to have developement.. I really am starting to visualize the intial design and how it would look from Bodo, and front street.. and even with it being 26 feet up in the air on stilts.. it still be a massive continuous building that spans 2 blocks on each side...
I don't really like that idea.. especially on frong street which will be continueing the same concept of the aspen down 2 more blocks...
It needs to open up to the street and the intersection of 9th and front.. so that it is a flow from the central city to the back side where the pioneer corridor to the river will be...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 3:24 PM
All man. Half nuts.

i like this project.

however, i do wish they would break up the northern wall into two taller towers, especially on the corner of 9th and front.

i do like the curved design on that corner... boise NEEDS more buildings with softer edges, and driving south on 9th it would be nice to see a circular tower on that corner.

one can only hope.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 7:52 PM

Here's a story I found that gives a decent biography of Susan Desko, the JUMP architect. It gave me a better impression of her capabilities than I had before. It sounds as though she has a fair amount of experience, along with a Harvard degree.

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...EL02/302259871

Here's the the link to the official JUMP website again too. Maybe we'll see this updated soon.

http://www.susandesko-aia.com/

Old Posted Aug 4, 2009, 8:39 PM
Earthling

^
You're right--the article does paint a reassuring picture of the architect. I suppose it's the cynic in me that wonders about statements such as this which seem a bit of an exageration(from the earlier link):

Quote:
Desko remained at Frank Gehry & Associates for 18 months, where she worked 110-hour weeks.
So, for 18 months, she had 6 hours/day to eat, sleep, travel to and from work, and takes care of day to day personal business?

I've had occassional periods of 6 months where I've worked 80-90 hour weeks. I just recall how wiped out I felt, how I fell behind on certain personal business and ended up needing a few months of a more normal lifestyle, to maintain my sanity and recover.

She's either super-human or there's some laying-it-on-thick, PR-talk going on.

Anyway, not to be a downer--thanks for the link.
"There is no endeavour more noble than the attempt to achieve a collective dream. When a city accepts as its mandate its quality of life; when it respects the people who live in it; when it respects the environment; when it prepares for future generations, the people share responsibility for that mandate, and this shared cause is the only way to achieve that collective dream." - Jaime Lerner

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 10:09 PM

http://fwix.com/share/22_0d0370da11

from the Boise Weekly...
JUMP New Glimpse of Simplot JUMP project
Posted by Nathaniel Hoffman on Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:38 AM

The Simplot family briefed Boise's Design Review Committee and other city officials this week on plans for Jack's Urban Meeting Place, AKA JUMP, which the family plans to build downtown, west of Bodo. The meeting was an informational work session which was open to the public, though public testimony was not part of the meeting because a formal application has not yet been submitted.

Design Review will be the first step in the approval process.

City staff took the images below of a 40-foot long model of the project. Click the photos for larger images.

Notice the copper banding along the exterior, the sidewalk landscaping and sculpture throughout. Also notice the sheer size of the project's circumference, the rooftop gardens and the jumbotron in the central courtyard.

JUMP scale model, looking south from Front Street.

JUMP scale model, looking north from Myrtle Street.

JUMP scale model, bird's eye view.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 11:01 PM
not a cynic

Nice find Cottonwood. It's quite a project.

I'm still very skeptical. Notice how, in the model, the rest of downtown Boise is just an afterthought. Bland and tan, whatchamacallits. The architect certainly has a laundry list of kudos, but one thing she doesn't have is local-ness. C'mon, to design such a monumental addition to downtown Boise, shouldn't the designer at least live here a year? A 4 full seasons? Bicycle from the CBD to the greenbelt a few times. Eat at the Cottonwood and walk down to BSU to catch the Broncos vs the Ducks. Float the river.

I don't know. I'm just saying.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 11:55 PM

Ya I'm torn as well. I have like the design and half don't.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 12:35 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Yeah, add me to the half like it, half don't. It's almost too massive, but even that's not quite the problem. I could see it fitting downtown, and then again I could also see it sticking out like a sore thumb. It's impossible to find the right words for it. Strangely enough, it kind of looks like an Uber-giant postmodern YMCA

It'd certainly be unique, though, I can't think of any buildings that look quite the same. And I find that to be a plus. But what are those turquoise spiral things?

EDIT: All right I got it...it's incomprehensible. I can't quite figure out what everything is by looking at it. I think that might be its problem.

BUT, I think there's a major reason to support this building...the thing is so big that if it were built, it might make a 40 story skyscraper look not so much like a sore thumb, than without JUMP. It might make a 40-50 story skyscraper blend with the skyline a heck of a lot better.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 4:37 AM

That's one interesting development.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 5:04 AM
Always running Late

looks like 7th grade students built that model...
I don't like it.... its a total eyesore and looks like a multi-story trailor park...
back to the drawing boards guys... I'm sorry....
dunno if I like the copper... It just looks like a big compact amusement park in the center of the city...
the jumbotron if there is one should be out on the streetside.. perhaps the corner of 9th and front.. rather than Inside the courtyard... it would allow for people to see whats going on inside from the outside...
I totally get funky .. and it looks to be that kind of a place.. but this is a huge footprint upon downtown.. and it needs to be done right...and there are some real issues with that model in my opinion...

Last edited by Boiseguy; Aug 12, 2009 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 1:08 PM
not a cynic

I don't mind the copper. I don't mind the amusement park-ishness. But take a close look at the interface with the street grid. I realize it's just a model and perhaps it's still in the design phase, but it shows cars, not people. It shows cars right up on the sidewalk, if that is a sidewalk. It makes no mention of the Pioneer Corridor.

Like I said a while back, this is the only plan? How about concept B and C? Yeah, back to the drawing board people. Too bad Desko and the gang didn't consult with this forum. If we were organized enough maybe we could hire ourselves out as consultants. Somewhat objective third party consultants who are locally aware.

Regarding Desko's webite link provided by Boysee Boi:

Check the source code! That's a whole lotta code for a picture and a bit of text. It struck me as metaphorical for the JUMP project itself.

How am I qualified to speak about this? I've done quite a few residential remodels and new from scratch projects. In one way or another, I've been involved with some of the most expensive draftsmen in town and some of the cheapest. In many cases the the less expensive drawings I contracted for were just as good as the more expensive ones. This project looks like they've thrown a bunch of money at it hoping it would turn out great. That's not how it works, at least in my opinion.

Last edited by boisecynic; Aug 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 1:34 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

I certainly hope that this model is NOT representative of what the final color will be.

Another shade of brown? Uggh!!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 2:16 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
I don't mind the copper. I don't mind the amusement park-ishness. But take a close look at the interface with the street grid. I realize it's just a model and perhaps it's still in the design phase, but it shows cars, not people. It shows cars right up on the sidewalk, if that is a sidewalk. It makes no mention of the Pioneer Corridor.

Like I said a while back, this is the only plan? How about concept B and C? Yeah, back to the drawing board people. Too bad Desko and the gang didn't consult with this forum. If we were organized enough maybe we could hire ourselves out as consultants. Somewhat objective third party consultants who are locally aware.

Check the source code! That's a whole lotta code for a picture and a bit of text. It struck me as metaphorical for the JUMP project itself.

How am I qualified to speak about this? I've done quite a few residential remodels and new from scratch projects. In one way or another, I've been involved with some of the most expensive draftsmen in town and some of the cheapest. In many cases the the less expensive drawings I contracted for were just as good as the more expensive ones. This project looks like they've thrown a bunch of money at it hoping it would turn out great. That's not how it works, at least in my opinion.
I don't think anyone has to prove being qualified to voice their opinion on it...
I realize some things are technical.. but some things are common sense..
I'm not a big fan of the 2 block span wall on front street.. why can't two towers flank the sides with opening up at 10th street for pedestrians..
parking should be underground or on the lower corner of 9th and myrtle ATLEAST... and like boisecynic said, there is no referenced to the pioneer corridor which essentially will begin at the corner of 11th and myrtle.... if it passes design review in this current form.. I for one will be shocked...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 5:20 PM

I found another update on JUMP at the Boise Weekly website. The BW is actually doing a better job at local news reporting than the Statesman.

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...-for-investors

When the Simplot family briefed Boise's Design Review Committee and other city officials on plans to build Jack's Urban Meeting Place recently, the model of the development showed JUMP as utilizing all the land between Front and Myrtle streets bordered by Ninth Street on the east side and 11th Street on the west.

Well, not all the land. On the southeast corner of JUMP, at the intersection of Ninth and Myrtle is one sliver of property that's not a part of the development. Right now it's home to the Seiniger Law Building, owned by Breck Seiniger, Jr.

In June, Seiniger told citydesk that he wouldn't be selling his property to the Simplot family.

"They made us an offer that we didn't think was reasonable and we made them an offer that they didn't think was reasonable," Seiniger said.

After seeing the models of JUMP at the recent review, Seiniger told citydesk he thought the project was "really neat and unusual," and that gave him an idea.

"I have a unique opportunity because [my property] is zoned for four to five stories. I could put in a building to match the exterior of JUMP with retail on the first floor," said Seiniger. So Seiniger launched a Web site announcing that he's seeking investors for a project of his own.

"Zoned for multi-story commercial, this unique parcel is available for a joint venture that will leverage on a $100,000,000 plus development in the heart of downtown Boise," reads the Web site.

David Cuoio, J.R. Simplot Company spokesman who represents the Simplot heirs on JUMP, offered citydesk this comment on behalf of his clients:
"We were not aware of his plans. We certainly wish him all the best."

http://wbs.law.officelive.com/default.aspx

The SEINIGER LAW BUILDING is the last piece of unacquired property in a 7.5 acre development. The "JUMP" project draws on nationally acclaimed architectural and design talent. Zoned for multi-story commercial, this unique parcel is available for a joint venture that will LEVERAGE on a $100,000,000 + development in the heart of downtown Boise.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 8:40 PM

Don't post much but I thought I'd chime in on this. This is a great concept and great for Boise's dwindling economy but this whole thing is hideous. I really hope a better design is incorporated and soon enough to keep the beginning start date of spring 2010. I really can't imagine this getting by the design committee but hey look at a lot of the newer buildings that did. Hampton Inn, all of front street east, etc.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post

I like the copper too, but I think it is too hard to judge the project based on a few pictures I posted from the Boise Weekly website. I like it but will have to see more detailed final renderings to make my mind up but I am excited to see this built. Aside from the copper it looks rather colorful and unique.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West