HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 12:23 AM
Closed account

Post it in the stats thread!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 12:53 AM

^ Halifax seriously punching above its weight when it comes to IKEA locations. Like the Manny Pacquiao of Canadian cities.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 1:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Halifax seriously punching above its weight when it comes to IKEA locations. Like the Manny Pacquiao of Canadian cities.
Based on the standard SSP projection algorithm I expect Halifax will have 13 IKEA locations by 2030.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 1:12 AM

Not as many as Oakatoks, but still good.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 1:53 AM

the largest IKEA in North America is in Montréal (St-Laurent). 469,694 ft2

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 10:33 PM

That's super.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 2:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In the news this AM:

Lowe's is buying Rona. 500+ stores. Thousands of employees.

Canadian HQ to stay in suburban Montreal.

Most Rona jobs are safe.

Did not hear if Rona brand name will remain.

Will impact Quebec and other Canadian suppliers as Rona bought majority of its stuff in Quebec and 85% domestic if you include all of Canada.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 2:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Not as many as Oakatoks, but still good.

Plenty of space here for several IKEAs. More room on the periphery too! CMA, here we come!

heartlandsaddlery

Semen Stadium????

Greatest ever slogan:

calgherald
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 2:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There are even a few more things to do in Calgary!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 2:47 PM

LOL @ Seamen Stadium

"Commmme on Seamen! Let's explooooode on those guys!"

Sorry

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 3:04 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ Looks like the name is sinking.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 4:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

So I am following a little bit of a kerfuffle in Quebec City via my Facebook friends and relatives there.

Quebec City is a very suburbanized sprawly city but with a pretty strong core as well. As it turns out most of my friends and relatives who live there are inner city people and are quite feisty and anti-suburban in many cases.

Anyway, Mountain Equipment Coop have announced that they are moving from their inner city digs (in Nouveau St-Roch - more on this later) to a more suburban location with lots of parking of course. The new store will be in the vicinity of the new Centre Vidéotron arena. So not really in the outer suburbs, and not far from downtown. But still in an auto-dependent environment.

This is seen like a betrayal of sorts by many. MEC was one of the key players in the revitalization of the St-Roch neighbourhood, and the coop played up this fact.

Note that most MEC locations AFAIK tend to be in inner city locations. In Montreal they have one right on the Plateau. Toronto's is right downtown. Ottawa's is in the hip Westboro inner city area.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 4:33 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Seamen Stadium? Okotoks Dawgs? OkotoksTourism.ca? These can't be real things can they?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So I am following a little bit of a kerfuffle in Quebec City via my Facebook friends and relatives there.

Quebec City is a very suburbanized sprawly city but with a pretty strong core as well. As it turns out most of my friends and relatives who live there are inner city people and are quite feisty and anti-suburban in many cases.

Anyway, Mountain Equipment Coop have announced that they are moving from their inner city digs (in Nouveau St-Roch - more on this later) to a more suburban location with lots of parking of course. The new store will be in the vicinity of the new Centre Vidéotron arena. So not really in the outer suburbs, and not far from downtown. But still in an auto-dependent environment.

This is seen like a betrayal of sorts by many. MEC was one of the key players in the revitalization of the St-Roch neighbourhood, and the coop played up this fact.

Note that most MEC locations AFAIK tend to be in inner city locations. In Montreal they have one right on the Plateau. Toronto's is right downtown. Ottawa's is in the hip Westboro inner city area.
That's a little worrisome for Winnipeg... they opened a store here about 15 years ago when Glen Murray led one big final push for new downtown retail... the late lamented A&B Sound and Staples were other large-format retailers that opened up downtown around that time, with no other new ones since.

MEC is on Portage Avenue across from the MTS Centre in a strip that used to be the retail heart of Winnipeg but now offers little more than dollar stores and used bookshops. They do seem like a fish out of water in their current location (parking is not convenient, for one thing) and it's not hard to imagine their sales would increase significantly if they moved a little further out closer to their competition and their client bases.

If they're doing it in Quebec then they must be thinking about doing it here too... I don't love it but I can certainly understand why.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 4:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's a little worrisome for Winnipeg... they opened a store here about 15 years ago when Glen Murray led one big final push for new downtown retail... the late lamented A&B Sound and Staples were other large-format retailers that opened up downtown around that time, with no other new ones since.

MEC is on Portage Avenue across from the MTS Centre in a strip that used to be the retail heart of Winnipeg but now offers little more than dollar stores and used bookshops. They do seem like a fish out of water in their current location (parking is not convenient, for one thing) and it's not hard to imagine their sales would increase significantly if they moved a little further out closer to their competition and their client bases.

If they're doing it in Quebec then they must be thinking about doing it here too... I don't love it but I can certainly understand why.
Yes, I noticed yours was downtown as well. MEC has been a good inner city partner in many places it seems.

Ottawa's store relocated about 10-15 years ago (going from memory). It went from inner city east New Edinburgh to inner city west Westboro. The first location had almost no parking whereas the new location has a teeny bit of parking.

Neither area could really be considered to be struggling though, and both have done and could do fine without an MEC store.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 5:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^^^ Looks like the name is sinking.
Perhaps in Dawg Semen?

nebula

Okotoks

via Imgflip Meme Maker
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Last edited by MolsonExport; Feb 3, 2016 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In the news this AM:

Lowe's is buying Rona. 500+ stores. Thousands of employees.

Canadian HQ to stay in suburban Montreal.

Most Rona jobs are safe.

Did not hear if Rona brand name will remain.

Will impact Quebec and other Canadian suppliers as Rona bought majority of its stuff in Quebec and 85% domestic if you include all of Canada.
This is good news in my opinion, at least for consumers. I've never been impressed with Rona's big box stores. The one I used to go to in London was severely understaffed with huge lineups at the cashier, and the staff you could find were often either rude or knew nothing about their products (or both). Lowe's on the other hand, I've found better staffed in both numbers of employees and service quality.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 4:27 AM

It was announced that Lowe's would keep the Rona name on most of the stores. Lowe's is known as a big box superstore so it makes sense that Rona would be used for smaller stores.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 7:11 AM

i prefer lowes over home depot, there was a rona in coquitlam that is pretty awful, its quite small and barely any staff when you need something. I can't imagine they would make it into a lowes its more like a small town home hardware store, not suitable for a big box location.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 8:10 AM

Quote:
We also had the FIRST IKEA in Canada (although it closed sometime around 1990, I think).

Still waiting on that heritage minute, ROC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada