HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:14 AM

I cant believe we have a 1000+ post thread about grocery stores..

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:15 AM

overwaitea seems to be in the smaller towns - like where i grew up we had one

now he has started a 3rd chain called Price Smart Foods - to wipe out the union at save-on apparently (he had closed some down and they reopened as Price Smart) and to take on Superstore a little more - lower wages means lower prices to the customers

they look just like save ons

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:02 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
As for Superstore in the East, I was in Ottawa (Kanata) a couple of weeks ago and there was a new Superstore identical to the ones in the West as well as a Loblaw's. However, by the end of my stay, I went to Sobey's.
Should have gone to Farm Boy and Loeb instead.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:06 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Just IGA's in BC. The remainder (except for a small few) were re-branded to Sobey's a couple years ago.
IGA's in BC, unlike the rest of Canada, are not owned or operated by Sobey's.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:08 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
now he has started a 3rd chain called Price Smart Foods - to wipe out the union at save-on apparently (he had closed some down and they reopened as Price Smart) and to take on Superstore a little more - lower wages means lower prices to the customers
Actually lower wages means higher profits to the corporation. Prices are based upon customer demand and supply and are not dependent upon employee wages.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold View Post
Actually lower wages means higher profits to the corporation. Prices are based upon customer demand and supply and are not dependent upon employee wages.
Yeah but Unions don't help either. Look at GM, a Union company if there ever was one. Thanks to decades of Union power, when you buy a GM car today there's a certain cost to that car that accounts just for the healthcare given to an employee when the numbers are crunched. I can understand why companies like Wal-Mart are anti-Union. They don't want to see themselves end up withering away on the vine like GM has been. Unions kill companies, and really there's no need for Unions nowadays because there's so much government regulation from workplace safety to benefits and pay that Unions in their current form in North America simply exist to give more power to those at the top. I for one am ready for the day when those like Buzz Hargrove get off their high horse and quit using their Unions to run good companies into the ground thanks to the Union's unrealistic demands.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^has nothing at all to do with crummy vehicles, and/or building unwanted models, eh?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller Better View Post
"Overwaitea" always struck me as the strangest name for a food store. Buy too much junk food and you will become overwaitea.

Yeah. I know that it stands for Overweight Tea, but it makes me think of:

And..

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Yeah but Unions don't help either. Look at GM, a Union company if there ever was one. Thanks to decades of Union power, when you buy a GM car today there's a certain cost to that car that accounts just for the healthcare given to an employee when the numbers are crunched. I can understand why companies like Wal-Mart are anti-Union. They don't want to see themselves end up withering away on the vine like GM has been. Unions kill companies, and really there's no need for Unions nowadays because there's so much government regulation from workplace safety to benefits and pay that Unions in their current form in North America simply exist to give more power to those at the top. I for one am ready for the day when those like Buzz Hargrove get off their high horse and quit using their Unions to run good companies into the ground thanks to the Union's unrealistic demands.

Yes, damn that evil autoworker union that brought decent working conditions, decent wages, decent healthcare, decent standard of living to North America.

Quote:
Thanks to decades of Union power, when you buy a GM car today there's a certain cost to that car that accounts just for the healthcare given to an employee when the numbers are crunched.
Well most of that is thanks to the shitty US healthcare system. Thats one of the main reasons GM, Ford and Chrysler loves doing business in Canada. We've got great healthcare in Canada and it saves companies billions.

Most of these healthcare costs are retired employees, something the Japanese manufacturers here dont really have. Maybe in 20 years the tables be more balanced there.

Are you really suggesting that the hundreds of thousands of autoworkes over the years, who have been able to raise middle class families with comfortable lives, should have been reduced to the working poor? That they should not been giving healthcare?

Quote:
I can understand why companies like Wal-Mart are anti-Union. They don't want to see themselves end up withering away on the vine like GM has been.
My first clue Wal Mart is anti union is everything they sell is made in China. Should GM shut down their North American plants and move to China?

Quote:
Unions kill companies, and really there's no need for Unions nowadays because there's so much government regulation from workplace safety to benefits and pay that Unions in their current form in North America simply exist to give more power to those at the top.
I agree unions are big business but what you speak is ridiculous. Judging by the endless parde of lawsuits being filed against WalMart by ex-employees, it doesnt look like government regulations are helping them poor saps much.

Corporations cannot be trusted and government cannot be trusted.

Quote:
I for one am ready for the day when those like Buzz Hargrove get off their high horse and quit using their Unions to run good companies into the ground thanks to the Union's unrealistic demands
Well the autoworkers union here in Oshawa has worked very closely with GM and in the last several years the union have made numerous concessions. The workforce here is almost half of what it use to be. No job security here. Yet they're producing more vehicles then ever. GM's complex here is their biggest and by far their most profitable. The plants win awards every year for being the most efficient auto plants and the workers here take great pride in that. I can guarantee that there would be no pride, no awards, no efficiency if these guys were getting $12/hour and crap benefits.

But as it is, some of these guys make over $100 000 year with overtime and they provide a very comfortable standard of living to their families. I'm sure all this disposable income is better for the overall economy rather then your minimum wage proposal.

GM seems quite happy here they are now in the midst of a $2.5 billion upgrade and expansion here.

I notice you are against decent wages.
I notice you are against healthcare.
I notice you think WalMart great.
I notice you are from Alabama.
So I have to ask.
Did your great old grand pappy own a cotton field or two in his day?
Your right, you cant compete against slavery.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 4:40 PM

Wal-Mart has Unions in China. Read up on the ACFTU; http://www.acftu.org.cn/about.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Chi...f_Trade_Unions

I wouldn't complain if we saw Unions mimic the ACFTU model.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Wal-Mart has Unions in China. Read up on the ACFTU; http://www.acftu.org.cn/about.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-Chi...f_Trade_Unions

I wouldn't complain if we saw Unions mimic the ACFTU model.
What exactly does that model entail, beyond being stooges for an undemocratic and totalitarian state apparatus of course.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassic Lab View Post
What exactly does that model entail, beyond being stooges for an undemocratic and totalitarian state apparatus of course.
The ACFTU wouldn't be the world's largest Union if it were bad to its workers. Foreign companies wouldn't embrace the ACFTU if it were bad.

Maybe someday we'll see the likes of the UAW and CAW become like the ACFTU. It's a Union that works, and clearly in this current battle, companies like the Chinese Union that's bigger and has more members then the North American and European Unions.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:02 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
The ACFTU wouldn't be the world's largest Union if it were bad to its workers. Foreign companies wouldn't embrace the ACFTU if it were bad.

Maybe someday we'll see the likes of the UAW and CAW become like the ACFTU. It's a Union that works, and clearly in this current battle, companies like the Chinese Union that's bigger and has more members then the North American and European Unions.
You did read the Wikipedia article that stated that it's the only union in China and that members of real unions were executed when the ACFTU was started up?

Do you really think that corporations embracing a union makes a union look legitimate?

Or maybe I missed the totally sarcastic tone of your post.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:09 PM

Quote:
You did read the Wikipedia article that stated that it's the only union in China and that members of real unions were executed when the ACFTU was started up?

Do you really think that corporations embracing a union makes a union look legitimate?

Or maybe I missed the totally sarcastic tone of your post.
Ideally I'd rather have no Unions, but if I'm forced to have one then I'd rather take the ACFTU over the Unions in the USA and Canada that have helped to destroy time-honored industries. Even the Unions in Mexico(while not as favorable as the ACFTU) are doing a better job for their employees.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 6:46 PM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
I'd rather take the ACFTU over the Unions in the USA and Canada that have helped to destroy time-honored industries.
What time-honored (sp) industries have been destroyed by unions?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 8:10 PM

Quote:
What time-honored (sp) industries have been destroyed by unions?
Just look at the Midwest/Northeast/"Rust Belt" cities.

I rest my case. Those that don't reinvent themselves will continue to lose population. The Detroit's, Flint's, Akron's, Youngstown's, Buffalo's, Springfield's(MA), and so on.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 9:26 PM

Quote:
yeah - but thats the companies spin on things - lower "expenses" at their end mean better prices to their customers

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 9:47 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Neilson, as a Christian, do you think Jesus would support unions or support your argument?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 11:53 PM

don't tell me your using the what would Jesus do excuse...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 12:01 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Just look at the Midwest/Northeast/"Rust Belt" cities.

I rest my case. Those that don't reinvent themselves will continue to lose population. The Detroit's, Flint's, Akron's, Youngstown's, Buffalo's, Springfield's(MA), and so on.
I didn't ask for cities, I asked for industries.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada