HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Excellent news!

I wonder what the timeframe for the entire renovation is.
A store employee told me yesterday it would take a year.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 2:03 AM

I skimmed through the latest City of Portland Community Survey Survey Report. Found it very interesting that the resident response to new residential development in NW Portland was some of the most positive of all parts of the City (and also the most urban and dense).. http://www.portlandonline.com/audito...468341&c=60923 Question 19..

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:08 AM

I'm not sure if this should go in The Pearl thread or this one.....so I'll just post it here since it's still NW.

Excavation work has begun for the new apartment complex at NW Front and Riverscape St.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 6:22 PM

Photos of The Addy and Overton 19

I took some photos of The Addy and Overton 19 a couple of days back. Here they are.

[IMG]
DML_3838 by laindiemusic, on Flickr[/IMG]

DML_3836 by laindiemusic, on Flickr

DML_3834 by laindiemusic, on Flickr

DML_3833 by laindiemusic, on Flickr

DML_3840 by laindiemusic, on Flickr

DML_3842 by laindiemusic, on Flickr

DML_3843 by laindiemusic, on Flickr

DML_3844 by laindiemusic, on Flickr

DML_3845 by laindiemusic, on Flickr

DML_3847 by laindiemusic, on Flickr

DML_3848 by laindiemusic, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Excavation work has begun for the new apartment complex at NW Front and Riverscape St.
Is that for the shorter ones that will be up against NW Front, or for the long planned tower at that site?

It seems strange to me that from the plans I've seen there isn't any retail that's going to be built in that area.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
Is that for the shorter ones that will be up against NW Front, or for the long planned tower at that site?

It seems strange to me that from the plans I've seen there isn't any retail that's going to be built in that area.
It's the set of four 5-story buildings. Given how many ppl will be there, yeah, a little retail would be good. Probably the area around Brecken/Olympic Provisions will develop a little, especially, since it's really close to the Abigail and Ramona also.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post

It is isolated on the far north end of the Pearl, I don't think retail would do very will there at all unfortunately. It is struggling as it is anywhere north of Lovejoy.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 11:02 PM

NW Portland industrial development aims to emulate success of restored warehouses

http://www.oregonlive.com/front-porc...l#incart_river

By Elliot Njus | enjus@oregonian.com The Oregonian
on December 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM, updated December 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quote:
Renovated warehouses in the Pearl District and the Central Eastside are increasingly popular among a certain class of tenants: small-time manufacturers or tinkerers, and the creative office users who don’t mind working next door to them.

A development team thinks it can make a similar mix work in a brand-new industrial building, a five-story project under construction at 2104 N.W. York St. in Portland. The developers say it’s the city’s first multistory industrial building in 60 years.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 12:01 AM

The Addy:

Overton 19:

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 6:42 AM

Is the beige fiber-board-looking part of the Addy the final product? Seems like they would have done better to just extend the brick and wood + black windows motif across the entire building. That would have been perfectly successful. The beige-y stuff + white windows looks cheap/unfinished, especially when you factor in the difference in window size.

The Works project gets my thumbs up. I'd like to see some larger-scale projects like this.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 7:06 AM
A before E

Overton 19 I have mixed feelings about, I want to like the building, but it just looks like a standard building with an interesting design glued to it....I would rather see custom glass filling the voids and have the exterior be structural to the overall design....but then on the other hand, that would be stupid expensive and this idea achieves a similar effect at a much cheaper cost.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Is the beige fiber-board-looking part of the Addy the final product? Seems like they would have done better to just extend the brick and wood + black windows motif across the entire building. That would have been perfectly successful. The beige-y stuff + white windows looks cheap/unfinished, especially when you factor in the difference in window size.
I was wondering the same thing. On one hand the nails in the fiberboard are placed very very regularly - as if it was meant to be seen - but on the other hand, unlike with the wood siding part, you can see a slight gap between the fiberboard and window frames, with insulation showing through. You don't see that where the wood siding is. So I'm hoping this is not the final product, but I haven't seen any evidence of anything being put over the fiberboard.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post

The Works project gets my thumbs up. I'd like to see some larger-scale projects like this.
I mean making the whole building wood and brick would certainly look nicer, but it would also cost way more than Hardie Panel, which I am guessing is why they didn't do it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 12:15 PM

http://placesovertime.wordpress.com/...w-quimby-21st/

Another new NW project, this one just south of the residential half of the New Seasons block.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:42 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
http://placesovertime.wordpress.com/...w-quimby-21st/

Another new NW project, this one just south of the residential half of the New Seasons block.
Are they assuming the streetcar is eventually going to run along 21st and 23rd? It's good to see the Conway blocks getting redeveloped - finally - but drawing in the streetcar seems a bit over the top.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 6:26 PM

I think the city streetcar system plan of a few years ago did assume 21st would be part of the alignment. But that's an assumption, and we're nowhere near deciding on an exact route.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 8:51 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

That's why I think it's wrong to put the streetcar in a render. Sheesh, why not put a unicorn in there too? Or how about a moat with the Loch Ness Monster popping his (her?) head up? Or how about a huge sign that says "Everybody who lives here gets a pony!" We all know it isn't true, but since that obviously doesn't matter, why not?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 9:37 PM

The adopted Conway masterplan has a streetcar along 21st, then turning onto a Thurman/Raleigh couplet. I don't think it will ever happen, but it's not in the realms of fantasy.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 2:25 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
That's why I think it's wrong to put the streetcar in a render. Sheesh, why not put a unicorn in there too? Or how about a moat with the Loch Ness Monster popping his (her?) head up? Or how about a huge sign that says "Everybody who lives here gets a pony!" We all know it isn't true, but since that obviously doesn't matter, why not?
Can someone photoshop a unicorn riding that streetcar?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2014, 6:13 AM

Haha I was considering doing just that

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland