HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 7:07 PM

Oooh I like it! What will the finish be? Brick?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 7:17 PM

here you go:

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopdx View Post
The Cordelia
Is the one across the street going to be called The Regan?

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 2:35 AM

I love that they are sticking with the historic styles of the neighborhood. Hopefully the finished product doesn't end up looking like a cheap attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
here you go:

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 5:16 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkealoha View Post
I love that they are sticking with the historic styles of the neighborhood. Hopefully the finished product doesn't end up looking like a cheap attempt.
It is all in the details and the materials they use for these two buildings that will decide if they look like a cheap attempt or a good blend of current architecture fitting in with a historical context.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 5:19 PM

The stucco and faux mullions are already installed on parts of the buildings ... I'm sorry to say.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2014, 4:45 AM

Going up on Thurman between 26th and 27th:

This thing towers over the street (it's closing in on completion), but if someone ever redevelops the slums next to it (toward 25th), it may fit in better.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
Going up on Thurman between 26th and 27th:

This thing towers over the street (it's closing in on completion), but if someone ever redevelops the slums next to it (toward 25th), it may fit in better.
Be nice, dude. The "slums" you're talking about is owned by my old neighbor who is a pretty darned nice guy.

I also had a friend who had to move for this one. Another person priced out of NW in favor of people who can pay more property taxes.

I helped gentrify it apparently, so I guess I take some of the blame.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2014, 1:38 PM

I wasn't being mean - I don't know the first thing about the owners (2 properties: the office and the triplex). They may be fine people. But their buildings are pretty ugly. From an aesthetic perspective, I wouldn't mind seeing both of them go.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:00 PM

Site work has begun on this project...

Finally.... I work two blocks from this project and can't wait for the New Seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Jan 22, 2013, 10:52am PST
New Seasons to anchor Con-way redevelopment
Wendy Culverwell
Business Journal staff writer- Portland Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...&ed=2013-01-22

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 11:10 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouvScott View Post
Finally.... I work two blocks from this project and can't wait for the New Seasons
That is great news, that is gonna be a great new pocket neighborhood.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 2:05 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

From The Oregonian:

Google executive Kevin Rose buys, plans to demolish 1892 house in NW Portland

Quote:
"Unfortunately we drastically underestimated the level of work required to bring it up to date"

And here's a petition to save the house on Change.org.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 2:55 AM

I'm in the "who cares" crowd. Yes, it's a beautiful home. Yes, it's "historic". But he owns the property, he can do as he pleases.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 3:54 AM

What a beautiful home. Too bad the remodel can't work out. Here is a virtual tour : http://pdxvtours.com/mbfail50/small2.htm

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I'm in the "who cares" crowd. Yes, it's a beautiful home. Yes, it's "historic". But he owns the property, he can do as he pleases.
Thus spake Ayn Rand.

Portland, or any city, is more complicated than that. This city is loved. It's loved in its particulars, not its abstract rights. Some rich philistine can casually trample over that history and love but the rest of us should make that decision as unpleasant for him as possible. Love is never abstract. It's not "have a nice day". It's manifest before our eyes.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 3:37 PM

From a legal point of view, Derek is entirely right. Oregon law on historic preservation more or less is "he owns the property, he can do as he pleases". I posted this comment in the reddit thread:

Portlanders want it both ways. They want it to be hard for their neighbors to change to their property, but easy for them to do it.

In the UK, where I'm originally from, they have a very stringent planning permission system. Pretty much any change to a building that's visible from the street requires planning permission, which can often take months (or years, for larger projects) to obtain. Changing some windows? That requires planning permission from the local council. If you're in a conservation area, or live in a listed building (historic), you're also going to need the English Heritage / Historic Scotland etc to buy off on it. In Portland, changing windows doesn't even require a building permit. Where a permit is required, as long as the zoning code allows it outright, you can't often get a permit over the counter. Design Review is only required for a tiny percentage of the projects permitted in Portland.

We could have a system like the British system in Oregon, but I don't see it happening. Where even tentative steps have been taken in this direction, they've failed quickly, such as in Buckman.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 4:35 PM

It's too bad, seems like someone with his kind of $$ could afford to preserve it, and honestly he couldn't foresee some major costs associated with buying an 1890s home? Really nothing that goes up there will be a worthwhile replacement. Another beautiful piece of history gone.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2014, 4:44 PM

Photos: Apartments on the rise near river in the Pearl District
By: Sam Tenney in News, Photo Slideshows June 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Quote:
Work is underway on a series of apartment buildings on the northern edge of the Pearl District along Northwest Front Avenue. Las Vegas-based Fore Property Co.’s 244-unit development consists of four 5-story apartment buildings totaling 244 units and three parking garages, one of which will serve two of the buildings.

Work is scheduled for completion in March 2015, at which point the developers plan to build a pair of six-story apartment buildings on nearby lots on the east side of Northwest Front Avenue: a 150-unit building just north of the Fremont bridge and a 270-unit building due north of the current project.
Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2014/06/19...#ixzz35CMKqD5S

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 12:12 AM

I don't remember what thread it was in, but a while back we commented on the lot where The Dockside is located, across Naito from the awful new Riverscape apartments. The lot was cleared and fenced off, but we came to the conclusion that it was for staging for Riverscape. Well, there is a proposal for the site: two 6-story buildings and some townhomes. That area will be really dense. Does the city have any plans to re-do Naito along there (add trees, etc)?

Also, regarding Naito in general, is there any plan to fix it? Between the train station and the Fremont Bridge, it has settled dramatically. Surely with more high-end condo owners moving in the city will be forced to do something?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 12:14 AM

And speaking of Riverscape, here are some drawings I hadn't seen before for the new building planned for the north end of that development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland