HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 4:55 AM

I go past this building a lot, and really like it. I'm with Brian here - in lesser hands, this concept could have been awful. But Works Partnership really nailed it.

Quote:
Pattern language: a visit to Overton 19

BY BRIAN LIBBY

The Overton 19 building in Northwest Portland’s Alphabet District, designed by Works Partnership Architecture, is a bold arrival in a district where many architects might have focused on just fitting in.

Located, as its name indicates, at the corner of NW 19th and Overton, the project is situated in a transitional area where the fabric of historic early 20th Century homes and buildings gives way to light industrial structures to the north. Some architects might have used a little brick, for example, to tie in with the old buildings while others could easily have chosen an industrially tinged modern palate to tie in with the warehouses, or maybe just built a box and clad it with reclaimed wood, the material du jour.

But instead, Works created something more visually arresting and memorable: a three-story building with an eye-catching façade seemingly veiled by a grove of trees. And yet because of its modest scale, the building fits in well with the rest of the neighborhood.
...continues at Portland Architecture, with some nice photos.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 7:01 PM

Design Review request for response for the NW 21st / Quimby apartments (adjacent to Conway, though not part of that project).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 7:07 PM

City ready to sell 16 acres of waterfront land: Portland City Hall Roundup
By Brad Schmidt | bschmidt@oregonian.com
on August 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM, updated August 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...l#incart_river

Quote:
The city of Portland owns about 16 acres of prime waterfront real estate that it wants to put on the market.

On Wednesday, the Portland City Council considered designating land owned by the Bureau of Environmental Services as surplus, enabling its sale.

The land, on the western banks of the Willamette River, just north of the Fremont Bridge, has a real market value of $7.9 million.

The city's sewer bureau acquired the property in 2004 as a staging area for its Big Pipe project.

The city also wants to sell a nearby property of about a half acre, also owned by the sewer bureau, which at one point considered as a potential location for the Right 2 Dream Too homeless camp, as Willamette Week pointed out last week. It has a real market value of about $789,000.

But perhaps more interesting is the future of the 16-acre waterfront land, at 2400 N.W. Front Ave.

It's currently zoned for industrial uses. But the waterfront parcels to the south allow residential units, and a condo and apartment boom has followed.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 12:15 AM

Pre-application conference [PDF, small] for land between NW Front Ave and the railroad tracks (same block as Dockside). Includes 15,000 square feet of Retail space, 40,000 square feet of Office, and 184,000 square feet of residential floor area—with 216 units. Looks like the land was rezoned last year from industrial to commercial, to match the adjacent properties.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 4:31 PM

Don't know where else to post this, but somebody on Reddit claims that Matador on Burnside is closing. Does anybody know if it's true?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 1:51 AM

Pre-application conference [PDF] for new quarter block 6 story building at NW 19th & Overton. Gerding Edlen are the developer, and GBD are the architects. This will replace the single story Portland Police Association building.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Pre-application conference [PDF] for new quarter block 6 story building at NW 19th & Overton. Gerding Edlen are the developer, and GBD are the architects. This will replace the single story Portland Police Association building.
Does anyone know how much mechanized parking costs? I'm surprised to see it on a project this far out into NW. Must be working out really well at the Janey.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard View Post
Does anyone know how much mechanized parking costs? I'm surprised to see it on a project this far out into NW. Must be working out really well at the Janey.
No idea, but GBD seem to love it. As well as the Janey, they've also used it at the Benevento and the 20 on Hawthorne.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Where would the Portland Police Association move to?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 3:41 AM

Apparently they're looking for somewhere larger. Reported back in February:

Quote:
The Portland Police Association Is Selling Its NW Portland Headquarters

POSTED BY DENIS C. THERIAULT ON MON, FEB 24, 2014 AT 5:21 PM

The Portland Police Association is looking to sell its longtime headquarters in an increasingly attractive part of Portland, according to a statement sent out to rank-and-file cops today by the union's president, Daryl Turner.

The building, at NW 19th and Overton, was built in 1956 as a hospital clinic and served that purpose for decades. As recently as 1993, it was listed as the address of the law offices for the PPA's longtime (and since-retired) counsel, Will Aitchison. County records show the union purchased it in 1994 for $305,000. It's current real market value, according to the county, is more than $1 million.

Turner's statement to members, obtained by the Mercury, says the PPA wants to move somewhere large enough to accommodate meetings with all of its nearly 1,000 members. He wrote that he's also hoping the union will make some money from the sale, given the changes in what was once a remote corner of Portland—now home to streetcar tracks and just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Pearl District.
...continues at the Portland Mercury.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 8:01 PM

Two separate [PDF] Design Review documents for a pair of apartments fronting onto NW Overton and NW Pettygrove, between NW 19th & 20th. On NW Pettygrove it replaces a gravel surface car park (street view), and on NW Overton a tilt-up concrete warehouse (street view). Architects are FFA. Same block as the GBD project mentioned above.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 8:15 PM

You can already see the increase in foot, bike and auto traffic this end of N.W. with all the new development. It is getting interesting!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
NW QUIMBY & 21ST (UPDATE)

The Q21 project proposed by YBA Architects and Anderson Construction is coming close to fruition. The revised plans for the residential, retail, and commercial complex are far more detailed than those before, and the overall scheme looks even more promising. The redevelopment now consists of 8 Pettygrove fronting townhouses, 155 apartments, 15,000 sq. ft. of office space, two ground floor retail spaces, and three restaurant spaces. A small outdoor courtyard is proposed to activate the NE corner of the 260′ x 200′ superblock, which is intentionally designed to pull the retail experience of NW 21st up NW Quimby complimenting the already underway L.L. Hawkins development from Capstone Partners across the street.
...continues at Places Over Time.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2014, 11:46 PM

I really like this project, especially that overhang.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 1:25 AM

Very, very nice.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 11:27 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

What's up with putting the streetcar in the render? There's no streetcar at NW 21st & Quimby, nor have I seen any plans for one. Are they showing a streetcar running along 21st here? ...or along Quimby? Either way, it's bogus. Why not draw in a TRAM while they're at it? ...because of the lack of a hill? Hell, draw in a mountainside too. Why not.

Is there any serious talk of extending the streetcar in NW in the next decade?

I love the building, but I don't like lies on renders. Show it as it will be rather than giving us fantasyland.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 12:02 AM

Dude :-). The streetcar is in the rendering because a line has been proposed through there (pretty sure it's in the SSP). I think it's entirely realistic that it could be u/c within a decade, thus it doesn't really qualify as a "lie". IMO. Now a tram up to the Conway Mountains...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
What's up with putting the streetcar in the render? There's no streetcar at NW 21st & Quimby, nor have I seen any plans for one. Are they showing a streetcar running along 21st here? ...or along Quimby? Either way, it's bogus. Why not draw in a TRAM while they're at it? ...because of the lack of a hill? Hell, draw in a mountainside too. Why not.

Is there any serious talk of extending the streetcar in NW in the next decade?

I love the building, but I don't like lies on renders. Show it as it will be rather than giving us fantasyland.
Apologies in advance for the sarcasm, but... the answer to your question hasn't changed since the last time you asked. The Conway masterplan shows a streetcar running along 21st and then up Raleigh / Thurman.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 6:33 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Apologies in advance for the sarcasm, but... the answer to your question hasn't changed since the last time you asked. The Conway masterplan shows a streetcar running along 21st and then up Raleigh / Thurman.
I know. But it bugs me. What's the point of a render if it doesn't represent what the building will look like once completed?

I like the building. I might even like it a lot, but I hate when a render doesn't represent what the building will look like once completed. So often, they look unrealistically good compared to what finally gets built. And now, we have one where they aren't just exaggerating how good the building will look, they're exaggerating in mass transit.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 8:03 PM

It's true that there won't be a streetcar there when the building opens, but it's not unlikely that there will be in 10 years. That whole area is going to look very different than it does now. The city will be receiving over $300,000 in transportation SDCs from that building alone. The whole Conway redevelopment will contribute millions in transportation SDCs. It's not unreasonable to think the city could use that to extend the streetcar, as the master plan shows.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland