HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 10:24 PM

if you look at both pics closer, you can see a clear plexi outline of the tall tower on that site.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 2:01 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Damn. I thought that I had new news in regards to the theatre, but News 1130 beat me to it. There are now signs up stating that it will be 10 screens and 1800 seats. Does anybody know how many seats a theatre with stadium seating has? I'm thinking more than 180 per screen, meaning that this would be a garbage old style theatre.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
if you look at both pics closer, you can see a clear plexi outline of the tall tower on that site.
I see it now. Good eye.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 2:27 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Tinseltown has some screens with only ~120 seats and a couple about twice that size so that might be a good comparison.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 6:01 AM

^ And they have stadium style seating. Actually Tinseltown by far has the most comfortable seating out of any theatre I've been to so if this new theatre is anything like it I'll be a very happy man.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 1:34 AM

An article from the Province today
Quote:
Multiplex into New Westminster's Plaza 88 mix
By John Bermingham, The Province January 28,

Canada's first ever commuter-rail shopping centre is coming to New Westminster SkyTrain station in 2011.

Plaza 88 is North America's first shopping space to fully integrate rapid transit with retail and residential development, project developer Michael Degelder said Wednesday.

Calgary-based Landmark Cinemas announced Wednesday that it will build a 10-screen digital multiplex at Plaza 88, making it the latest tenant to sign up for the $350-million complex.

Other tenants include Safeway, Shoppers Drug Mart, Royal Bank, Bread Garden and A&W.

Degelder said the first two towers are already occupied, and a third is 60-percent sold because many people don't want a car-based lifestyle.

"There was really no example we could follow," Degelder said. "There is really nothing comparable in the world."

Plaza 88 integrates the SkyTrain station and the bus loop into a single building. The SkyTrain passenger level will have 200,000 square feet of retail space, with the lower level linking to the bus loop.

TransLink spokesman Ken Hardie said high-density residential and rapid transit make a "great combination."

TransLink is looking at similar ways to bring transit, density and amenities together as it expands service into Surrey, Coquitlam and the Broadway corridor in Vancouver.

"This becomes the template . . . as we move forward," Hardie said.

New Westminster Mayor Wayne Wright said Plaza 88 has been the catalyst for a Royal City makeover. The city's investment includes a new civic centre, and a 10-acre waterfront park.

Crime has fallen in the city as a result of the revamp around the SkyTrain station, Wright said.

"It's the rebirth of our city," Wright said. "It's the Avatar of the future."

jbermingham@theprovince.com

© Copyright (c) The Province

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayal View Post
"It's the rebirth of our city," Wright said. "It's the Avatar of the future."
Wow. Every article I've seen related to this development opening has gone overboard with hyperbole.

I'm interested in checking it out though. Is now a good time? Are stores open yet?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
^ And they have stadium style seating. Actually Tinseltown by far has the most comfortable seating out of any theatre I've been to so if this new theatre is anything like it I'll be a very happy man.
Tinseltown does have good seats, but the most comfortable I have been in (and I have gone to many theatres in metro Vancouver) are the seats at the Maple Ridge / Pitt Meadows Meadowtown Cineplex Odium theatre.

That is one good thing maple Ridge has (actually, Maple Ridge also has a great donair shop and gelato store).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 5:34 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Wow. Every article I've seen related to this development opening has gone overboard with hyperbole.

I'm interested in checking it out though. Is now a good time? Are stores open yet?
No stores are open yet, but I did see contractors starting on the build out of one of the spaces close to the future bus loop. I would wait until April at the very least, as hopefully some of the greenery will have grown a bit more at that point and one or more of the stores will be completed build out. Also, at that point the Interurban will potentially have retail in it as well.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 6:47 AM

Campaign to bring in Anchor Grocery Store at the Quay

Everyone fill out this petition to bring in a local grocery store to the Quay Market!! We need 3000 signatures so spread the good word

http://bit.ly/rivermarket

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Tinseltown does have good seats, but the most comfortable I have been in (and I have gone to many theatres in metro Vancouver) are the seats at the Maple Ridge / Pitt Meadows Meadowtown Cineplex Odium theatre.
Yeah, but it's in Maple Ridge and I would never drive that far just to see a movie.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but it's in Maple Ridge and I would never drive that far just to see a movie.
I live in New West and do just that.... but I agree..

Tinsletown is by far the best movie theater in Vancouver. Amazing seats.... never too full great movie selections, free parking and the popcorn is out of this world.

2ndly I agree its ethier ScotiaBank DT or Ciniplex Odeon in MR.

I really wish Famous Players was never bought by Ciniplex they are letting those Silver City's get sooooo gheto. Leave it to a Toronto company to fuck things up.

I remember when the Silver City movie theaters were the shit! Along with that kick ass Metrotown addition that has turned into some freakshow asian shopping center now.

RIP Rainforest Cafe/Pladium/TGIF

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Along with that kick ass Metrotown addition that has turned into some freakshow asian shopping center now.
If it weren't for finding it's Asian niche, the Crystal mall would be as dead and empty as Henderson Mall or International Village. I used to hate on it too, but now I appreciate it for the cultural flavor that it adds to Burnaby (and the cheap electronics).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 9:46 PM

I love Crystal Mall!

The bizarre thing is that Henderson Mall has also tried the same approach (catering dominantly to the Asian market) beside the more mainstream Coquitlam Centre, yet has found no success (except for a few staple stores).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2010, 9:55 PM

Quote:
If it weren't for finding it's Asian niche, the Crystal mall would be as dead and empty as Henderson Mall or International Village. I used to hate on it too, but now I appreciate it for the cultural flavor that it adds to Burnaby (and the cheap electronics).
crystal mall was developed as an asian mall it never found a niche that was always its niche

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 2:51 AM

There has been alot more activity on the site lately, people roaming around in safety vests, heavy equipment being moved in and out, etc.

Also across the street in that complex kiddy corner to Plaza 88 by the IGA they are getting a brand new TD Canada Trust and Pharmasave.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukmuk View Post
..Also across the street in that complex kiddy corner to Plaza 88 by the IGA they are getting a brand new TD Canada Trust and Pharmasave.
OK, I don't usually do this but... its "kitty corner" derived from "catercorner".

Kiddy corner just sounds kind of pedo.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 8:51 AM

haha

I noticed that cockny kings fish and chip place is moving into one of the new buildings in that shopping centre - it moved when the old building was demolished into the spot next to burger king and now its moving back to the newly built spot

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 6:22 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
haha

I noticed that cockny kings fish and chip place is moving into one of the new buildings in that shopping centre - it moved when the old building was demolished into the spot next to burger king and now its moving back to the newly built spot
They are now moved and I noticed that it was super busy on Friday night. It might also help that they have a smaller space. Oddly enough, they moved their same crappy chairs and tables over from their old place (chrome & slightly padded basic diner-style chairs).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 7:14 AM

eeek those tables and chairs are awful but the outside looks nice

i wonder they can do with that old space next to burger king

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley