HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 6:14 PM

Should the CoV bury its downtown utilities underground?

It deceives you into thinking that you are walking in a 3rd world ghetto.

trolley buses aggravate our current aesthetic problem..

ugh.. if we want beautiful, lively alleys with cafe's lining them up, like those we aspire to have as our own, in Melbourne and Victoria, we need to bury our utilities underground.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 6:24 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Yes, except the trolley bus wires. That's just plain silly, also Translink owns those.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 6:29 PM

Please GOD yes, do it now.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 7:16 PM

Don't really care. If they're replaced once each block gets redeveloped and paid by the developer, then sure. Otherwise there are more pressing matters to spend money on.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Don't really care. If they're replaced once each block gets redeveloped and paid by the developer, then sure. Otherwise there are more pressing matters to spend money on.
I agree with this.

Does the City foot the entire bill or is there a cost sharing arrangement with BC Hydro?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:28 PM
Dahvie Fan

Vancouver had its chance to do this long ago but failed. It's too late now. It's just another thing you can add to the list of "why Vancouver doesn't feel like a big city".

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Vancouver had its chance to do this long ago but failed. It's too late now. It's just another thing you can add to the list of "why Vancouver doesn't feel like a big city".
It doesn't feel like a big city because it isn't really one. 90% of the CoV is still single family detached homes.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 9:03 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
It doesn't feel like a big city because it isn't really one. 90% of the CoV is still single family detached homes.
I'm talking about the feel of downtown you density nutcase. 90% of Seattle is single family homes, doesn't stop its downtown from feeling like a big city.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 9:12 PM

They are buring the hydro lines as you can already see in some lane ways. That's why they have been installing those hydro vaults throughout the city. Bc hydro is switching the system to underground and phasing out the old h frames

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 9:20 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned earthquakes as a reason to bury them. We know that the 'Big One' is going to hit at some point and burying the power lines reduces the probability of outages and eliminates an obvious safety hazard.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Please GOD yes, do it now.
May I second that? Word for for for word!!!!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 9:24 PM
loafing in lotusland

Nah, makes it look more lived in. Take a trip to Osaka's Shinsaibashi and look into the alleys there.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Nah, makes it look more lived in. Take a trip to Osaka's Shinsaibashi and look into the alleys there.
Like this? Or this? Way too much like Kowloon or Blade Runner L.A.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 10:02 PM

Actually I like the trolley lines.

With regards to back alleys making Vancouver look "Third world", are you serious? No way it looks third world. It could be cleaned up yes, but it' snot like most people notice it anyways.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 10:27 PM
retro_orange

As much as i would love to see our alleys decluttered; I think it's more difficult and expensive here than many other north American cities to bury this infrastructure. Our soils are very inconsistent in composition with anything from bedrock jutting up near the surface to low density former marsh land with many erratic boulders that would need removal. I don't mind the trolley lines or even some of the power lines, It's the lines from Telus and Shaw that are often a hodgepodge birds nest mess. If they made more of an effort to keep the utility poles tidy it would be much less visually obtrusive. PLUS do you think the companies will foot the bill or will they more likely raise your rates to pay for the upgrades?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 10:39 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
As much as i would love to see our alleys decluttered; I think it's more difficult and expensive here than many other north American cities to bury this infrastructure. Our soils are very inconsistent in composition with anything from bedrock jutting up near the surface to low density former marsh land with many erratic boulders that would need removal. I don't mind the trolley lines or even some of the power lines, It's the lines from Telus and Shaw that are often a hodgepodge birds nest mess. If they made more of an effort to keep the utility poles tidy it would be much less visually obtrusive. PLUS do you think the companies will foot the bill or will they more likely raise your rates to pay for the upgrades?
Just like our highways, much more expensive to improve them here than anywhere else in North America seriously do you guys ever get tired of using these lame excuses

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 10:49 PM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
Just like our highways, much more expensive to improve them here than anywhere else in North America seriously do you guys ever get tired of using these lame excuses
I do but there is actually some truth to it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 11:48 PM

They are burying them and they are keeping them in certain alleys because the film crews like them.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They are burying them and they are keeping them in certain alleys because the film crews like them.
On that basis, keeping them in a few select alleys in the DTES and such is OK, but downtown, the alleys should be crispened up to look smart, IMO, even if they are still just functional alleys.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
On that basis, keeping them in a few select alleys in the DTES and such is OK, but downtown, the alleys should be crispened up to look smart, IMO, even if they are still just functional alleys.
They're all being removed except for a few in Gastown/Chinatown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues