HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
You are free to leave, ships sail every day.
Thanks for the 2 cents, as always.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Thanks for the 2 cents, as always.
No problem at all.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 3:11 AM

Stadium talk dominates CFL expansion discussion
FRANCIS CAMPBELL The Chronicle Herald December 28, 2017

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 8:22 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Does anyone have current pictures of inside the concourses at McMahon stadium? I know in the last few years of Winnipeg stadium the washrooms and concourses were disgusting with seagull shit, overflowing urinal troughs, broken and water damaged electrical and just rust, broken pavement and peeling paint.
I don't have any pictures but McMahon has not been left to rot to the state you describe Winnipeg Stadium. It's reasonably maintained for what it is - it's just really old and needs to be replaced.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 2:36 PM

Yeah everything seems to work including all the port-a-potty’s. Lol.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 3:34 PM

Can't help but notice that a lot of the posters with Calgary in their avatars have a decidedly negative bent. What happened to that can-do attitude that the west was so well known for?

One thing I would be vocal about was if the city was to go it alone on a new field house costing over 200 million, I'd be pushing for why a deal with the Stamps can't be negotiated when the original idea was a combo field house stadium.

It's easy to have a hate on for the millionaire/billionaires but looking at how Halifax is handling the stadium discussions vs the city of Calgary, I'd say the city of Calgary ain't lookin' too good in this discussion either.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Can't help but notice that a lot of the posters with Calgary in their avatars have a decidedly negative bent. What happened to that can-do attitude that the west was so well known for?

One thing I would be vocal about was if the city was to go it alone on a new field house costing over 200 million, I'd be pushing for why a deal with the Stamps can't be negotiated when the original idea was a combo field house stadium.

It's easy to have a hate on for the millionaire/billionaires but looking at how Halifax is handling the stadium discussions vs the city of Calgary, I'd say the city of Calgary ain't lookin' too good in this discussion either.
The original idea wasn't for a combo stadium/fieldhouse, that was the Flames/Stamps ownership trying to piggyback on the original idea of a stand alone fieldhouse, as well as wanting to move it from the originally proposed location in Foothills Athletic Park to just west of downtown.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 4:42 PM
I am the law!

Quote:

Interesting perspective to say the least. I find Calgary posters as optimistic as every despite a core industry falling on hard times. Their unwillingness to shell out for a stadium for a multi-million dollar corporation actually supports their optimism and can do attitude. They're very confident in their position as a strong NHL market that either the Flames or someone else will reach an agreement with the city on an appropriate cost structure.

There's nothing new happening in Halifax either. It's just another group looking towards the city and province to speculate on financing a CFL a stadium with a cheap rendering and some market analysis.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 5:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
There's nothing new happening in Halifax either. It's just another group looking towards the city and province to speculate on financing a CFL a stadium with a cheap rendering and some market analysis.
I would agree with that. The proposed ownership group has sports management experience but I doubt their pockets are very deep. I don't think this project will get very far unless the government kicks in significant financial support for the construction of a stadium (at least half).

Will the government do this? I'm not sure. At least NS is currently running a balanced budget, so judicious borrowing to help fund construction wouldn't break the bank (so to speak). How will this play with the taxpayer? If properly marketed as Halifax being on the cusp of being a "big league city", this could play well in HRM. There may be a lot of antipathy in the rest of the province however since Halifax always seems to get everything anyway (at least as far as the rural folk are concerned)..........

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 5:40 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Was there a rendering of a proposed Halifax stadium for this current CFL bid ?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 5:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Not as far as I know.

They also have not settled on a site for the stadium.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They also have not settled on a site for the stadium.
There were three or four sites that the potential ownership group were looking at for a stadium which they shared with the City and presumably also the Province. No renders or any other information were made available.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
There were three or four sites that the potential ownership group were looking at for a stadium which they shared with the City and presumably also the Province. No renders or any other information were made available.
Indeed. None of the sites the ownership group are considering is downtown. The most probable location is in Dartmouth Crossing.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
'Defining moment': CFL commissioner sparks expansion hope in Halifax
Randy Ambrosie says it’s the unfilled part of national dream
Devin Heroux, CBC Sports Nov 25, 2017

LeBlanc said he's hired an architect in Los Angeles to produce a stadium rendering that was presented to Halifax council.

"They went to the Atlantic Schooners wikipedia page and saw the old colour scheme and took it and made this rendering look like it. The councilors just loved it," he said.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
The original idea wasn't for a combo stadium/fieldhouse, that was the Flames/Stamps ownership trying to piggyback on the original idea of a stand alone fieldhouse, as well as wanting to move it from the originally proposed location in Foothills Athletic Park to just west of downtown.
True, but that field house has apparently been one of the top infrastructure needs for quite a long time and the city seemed to be in no hurry to build it. I didn't see anything wrong with the Stamps trying to piggyback on the idea. The only issue was who would pay for what and where, not so much that the idea was bad.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Proof?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The proposed ownership group has sports management experience but I doubt their pockets are very deep. I don't think this project will get very far unless the government kicks in significant financial support for the construction of a stadium (at least half).
I don't know if that is a fair statement to make. My original thought was they were something like the Brad Waters group but since then we know they've been vetted by Ambrosie (a well versed financial guy). Also they somehow managed a 50 million dollar payroll at Phoenix instead of a 5 million dollar CFL payroll. Not sure what they got in the Coyote sale perhaps near 150 million for their remaining 46 percent.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 4:45 AM

McMahon Concourse

Was someone in here looking for a shot of the concourse in McMahon stadium? I was looking around and managed to find this:

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSmith View Post
Was someone in here looking for a shot of the concourse in McMahon stadium? I was looking around and managed to find this:
that's not too bad for a 58 year old stadium.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
that's not too bad for a 58 year old stadium.
I'm assuming that's legit - never been there myself. Any Calgarians out there who can confirm this photo?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada