HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:21 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post

Did they also ask if they should change the name of London to remove any past reference to their Roman oppressors.

Your SJW non-sense needs no rebuttal. Bye!
In what world is breaking ties to the UK a SJW position? There are many "republicans" in Canada that share that view that has nothing to do with colonialism. Not to mention that it's perfectly fine to criticize the negative effects of colonialism without being an annoying SJW.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 12:49 AM
BANNED

interesting thread.. but I think the folks at Hasbro came up with the ideal solution to this conundrum many many years ago...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
In what world is breaking ties to the UK a SJW position? There are many "republicans" in Canada that share that view that has nothing to do with colonialism. Not to mention that it's perfectly fine to criticize the negative effects of colonialism without being an annoying SJW.
Changing names due to potentially offensive connotations is nothing but a SJW position, and like most SJW initiatives, a complete waste of time. Names do not have to be acceptable or even accurate according to contemporary attitudes. They reflect a feeling at a point in time. In the mid 1800's, the portion of the Columbia District north of the 49th became legally British. Should Nova Scotia change names because some of its residents lack Scottish heritage?

I like the sound of "British Columbia" and the sense of permanence it implies. Along with "Nova Scotia" and "New Brunswick", it is the best provincial name.

Last edited by Doug; Aug 1, 2018 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
interesting thread.. but I think the folks at Hasbro came up with the ideal solution to this conundrum many many years ago...

Best photo reply ever

But seriously British Columbia is not the most appropriate name, but it actually sounds great. British makes us sound fancy and high class and Columbia makes us sound sunny.

I strongly suspect there will be a growing movement to split from Eastern Canada someday as we are just so different over here. Plus there's going to be a movement to move the capitol to Vancouver or make Victoria another province altogether.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 6:00 PM

I don't find British Columbia offensive at all. Just like how they are trying to change the name of Stanley Park, I just find it a complete waste of time and resources. Doesn't matter what name is used, there is always someone who would be "offended". Can't please everyone, so if the majority of residents are proud of BC, we should just keep the name. We are technically still part of the Commonweath.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 6:10 PM
The New Republic

As we move further away from our colonial past we've already changed a few place names to better reflect who we are. The Queen Charlotte Islands became Haida Gwaii and have often thought that the name British Columbia sounded hopelessly out of date. It's reminiscent of some colonial map from the 1700s.

How about Bella Coola, Bella Columbia, or Bellacola. You could still say BC, UBC, etc.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 11:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
How about Bella Coola, Bella Columbia, or Bellacola. You could still say BC, UBC, etc.
'Berta Coast

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 2:18 AM

I can see some people mistook the concept of changing name of BC with decolonization effort, I have to beg to differ. Alberta is also a colonial name that comes from a daughter of Queen Victoria, but few seems to have problem with that.

So the actual reason is the name of British Columbia is too long and not catchy and doesn't make sense. Colombia river only have a very small part of drainage basin in BC, the same like the Cascades, which someone has questioned too.

To me, Fraser river is more local and important to the province comparing with Columbia river or Cascades mountains. Fraser of Fraserland makes more sense to me in this case.

But of course, one thing I have to agree that changing a province's name involves a big cost, do it only if worth it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia