HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which Canadian news network do you prefer?
CBC 54 60.67%
CTV 20 22.47%
Global 6 6.74%
Other 9 10.11%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The reasonable centre is becoming a lonely place these days due to the tug-of-war political dynamic.
Yup, one interesting thing to point out is that the left doesn't have a no go area. The right does. Racial supremacy and the far right alt right is a no go zone for conservatives. The problem these days for reasonable left leaning people is they don't know where and when the radical leftists have gone too far.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:05 PM

I rarely watch live TV these days, but if I do, I tend to watch CBC and CTV for national news. I like Global and CTV for their entertainment content, but I will usually stream shows from there if I get the time to watch!

Among the better-made, Canadian-content entertainment material (wholly, partly or originally produced in Canada, storylines located in Canada or shows or featuring Canadian actors) I favour(ed) are: Houdini and Doyle featured on CBC, Private Eyes on Global, and Lost Girl, Orphan Black (Yay, Tatiana Maslany, from Regina!) and Daily Planet on CTV or affiliates.

I know there are other similar Canadian-content shows, like Flash Point, Da Vinci's Inquest, Nature of Things, Kim's Convenience, Corner Gas, Little Mosque on the Prairie (Yay, Regina or originally Regina again for these last two shows!), Reboot (animation), and lots of U.S.-made shows featuring Canadian actors/locations/producers like Hawaii Five-O, and even Daniel Tiger's Neighbourhood, and Super Why! (Kids TV! Yes, because we have young kids!) and countless others. Some of you may remember other Canadian or related-content shows on these networks.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Yup, one interesting thing to point out is that the left doesn't have a no go area. The right does. Racial supremacy and the far right alt right is a no go zone for conservatives. The problem these days for reasonable left leaning people is they don't know where and when the radical leftists have gone too far.
As a result of this my observation is that a lot of those "reasonable left leaning" people are shifting more to the right. Or are at least very tempted by that. (Though not the alt-right of course.)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBruge View Post
If they listen to CBC radio, someone from another country could be forgiven for thinking the Canadian population is approaching 50% trans!
Or native, when both numbers are a minuscule part of the population.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:10 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Wow... he's an awesome knowledge-seeker. The true spirit of journalism. Bravo.

I wonder if he was denounced as a traitor, a closet Trump supporter... or worse. Or if he got death threats...
I'd love to read that Pew piece he cites as evidence but doesn't link to. Meanwhile, I did find this very lengthy article from 2014 filled with tons of interesting data points. The takeaway is that the *audiences* of the majority of news sources are liberal, because liberal audiences are more likely to read a variety of sources and trust a larger mix of sources overall. Another interesting point in there is that conservatives are more likely to live in a bubble of conservative friendships, while liberals are more likely to drop friendships due to politics.

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
As a result of this my observation is that a lot of those "reasonable left leaning" people are shifting more to the right. Or are at least very tempted by that. (Though not the alt-right of course.)
That's why we hear the term Red Pill all the time now, it's the out of control portion of the left eating their own. Any slight disagreement and you're no longer one of us (see Lindsay Shepherd)

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Jul 9, 2018 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Or native, when both numbers are a minuscule part of the population.
A person living abroad who's never been to Canada and who streams CBC Radio these days would also think that only a fairly small minority of the population of English-speaking Canada speaks English without a foreign-sounding accent.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's why we hear the term Red Pill all the time now, it's the out of control portion of the left eating their own. Any slight disagreement and you're no longer one of us (see Lindsay Shepherd)
Or... Acajack!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:19 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
I believe the counterbalance actually does matter in the big picture...
The counterbalance should be from the centre, not from "as left as possible."

Quote:
This is an astonishingly bizarre thing to say. The right has boundaries but the left doesn't? Are you for real?

There is exponentially more overlap on the right with the alt-right racist/stupidity crap than there is on the left with the identitarian crap. It's not even close. I mean, for crissakes, Donald Trump got elected president. Meanwhile, the left/centrist vote was split between Clinton and Bernie Sanders. That's an actual, real boundary.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:20 PM

Quote:
A person living abroad who's never been to Canada and who streams CBC Radio these days would also think that only a fairly small minority of the population of English-speaking Canada speaks English without a foreign-sounding accent.
I hate that, there's a whole Canada outside of Toronto.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:22 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:

Are you making fun of me? Because that's the only explanation I can think of...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
This is an astonishingly bizarre thing to say. The right has boundaries but the left doesn't?
What are they, because a whole lotta people seem to be wondering about it. So how about it, when has a leftist gone too far in their ideology so mainstream leftists will disengage from them?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Last week on Radio-Canada, they had an interview with a Danish journalist about this measure:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-d...-idUSKCN1IT1EO

It was aired on Radio-Canada's equivalent to As It Happens. (Though there is no true equivalent to AIH on SRC. But it's a suppertime public affairs interview program.)

Anyway I looked up the journalist - she's fairly young (late 30s?) and fairly reputable.

The Radio-Can guy challenged her on a number of points but overall his questions were more about gathering info than trying to prove a point either way.

I chuckled at one point when the Danish interviewee said, with typical Scandinavian candour... "the vast majority of Danish kids at the age of one are already in daycare anyway, because, you know... everyone works here!"

(OK, maybe it came out bluntly due to French, being her second, third or fourth language. Though her French was excellent.)

Anyway, I was thinking that even though she clearly wasn't a defender of the measures (rather she was explaining them and the rationale behind them), the way she approached it in such a neutral way she would have been ripped to shreds on a program like As It Happens.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
What are they, because a whole lotta people seem to be wondering about it. So how about it, when has a leftist gone too far in their ideology?
I am very interested in hearing rousseau's viewpoint, as he is one of my favourite posters on here. And I am also one of those who is wondering.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I swear there is a quota at CBC for interviewees with noticeable accents and someone at HQ whose job it is to make sure it's met!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Funny you should say that, the host of the local CBC's weekend morning show for the last couple years here has been a hijab-wearing woman with a thick Welsh accent. Finding the most exotic possible people seems like the CBC's self-imposed penance for all those years of nothing but white men on the air.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:43 PM
Majestic

Quote:
The counterbalance should be from the centre, not from "as left as possible."
You are going to have to help me with what "as left as possible" means to you. I haven't listened to too many CBC discussions about tearing apart capitalism and transitioning to an anarcho-syndicalist economy. I don't think we've gotten there yet. So far the lines seems to be drawn at "we'd like employers to pay a living wage," and "please don't build pipelines on our land," and also "please recognize Palestine and stop supporting Israel." The right has even scared the left from outright supporting and identifying with organized labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly
Just because conservatives like Kellie Leitch don't lead parties doesn't make them not exist. Plenty of Trump-supporting right-wingers out there who fancy the idea of putting immigrants in cages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly
The term "red pill" was popularized by mens rights activists pissed off about feminism and remains a toxic subculture of the alt right. Nothing to do with the left.

Flickr

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Funny you should say that, the host of the local CBC's weekend morning show for the last couple years here has been a hijab-wearing woman with a thick Welsh accent. Finding the most exotic possible people seems like the CBC's self-imposed penance for all those years of nothing but white men on the air.

Fundamentally, I don't really care about this either way.

I don't know anything about this lady's particular case but in any event it's irrelevant.

What I am talking about is a generalized, growing sentiment that some people are *trying too hard*.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
To me, the biggest cliche these days is having an Asian woman at the newsdesk (mostly local and private TV) Seems to be the least objectionable compromise to viewers.

Getting back on topic, in the olden days when I was in the biz, CBC was left leaning, and CTV right leaning, but neither was to the point of being obviously biased. CNN and Fox News are a sad, sad joke.

I'm right leaning (obviously) and was happy to hear of the beginning of Sun News to kind of balance CBC's fast growing leftism. But Sun was even worse, you know things are bad when you can't (in reality) support your own media of ideology. We really need a movement to the center but I really do think all the craziness going on today may be a good thing. Blow it all up and start over (this isn't just Trump, this has been coming on for a long long, time).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2018, 7:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
To me, the biggest cliche these days is having an PRETTY Asian woman at the newsdesk (mostly local and private TV) Seems to be the least objectionable compromise to viewers.

Fixed that for you. At the risk of getting into big, big trouble.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada