HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

University District South Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 1:01 AM

What's the status of this project?

Cookie cutter or not, I'd rather have this than the swaths of undeveloped land that dominate the area north of 104.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 2:00 AM

Agreed. I'm surprised in fact that part of what I'd consider to be Downtown Surrey is like an abandoned field of sorts... and not to mention the strip malls all over. =S

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 5:58 AM

well this is what the city site shows
Its past its third reading just on final adoption

PROJECT DETAILS:
Project Number: 11 - 0333
Description: Rezoning from RF, RM-D and C-35 to CD (based on RMC-150); Development Permit in order to permit hthe development of two,high-rise resdiential towers, townhouses, and commercial space.
Address: 13409 104 Ave
Assigned to: Gary Gahr, gagahr@surrey.ca, 604-591-4393
Primary Contact Information:
Primary Contact: Bosa Properties (SC) Inc. (Hermann Nuessler )
Phone Number: 604-412-0317
Address: 4555 Kingsway Unit 1800
City: Burnaby
Postal Code: V5H 4T8

REZONING:
PHASE: 00
Description: Rezoning from RF, RM-D and C-35 to CD (based on RC-150) in order to permit the development of two, high-rise residential towers, townhouses, and commercial space.
Planning Report to Council Date: Jul 9, 2012
Council Decision: Jul 9, 2012
Intro/First and Second Reading Date: Jul 9, 2012
Public Hearing Date: Jul 23, 2012
3rd Reading Date: Jul 23, 2012
Final Adoption Date:
Filed by Council:

DEVELOPMENT PERMIT:
Description: Development Permit in order to permit the development of two, high-rise residential towers, townhouses, and commercial space.
Planning Report to Council Date: Jul 9, 2012
DP Issued Date:
SUBDIVISION: 11 - 0333 - 00
Description: To consolidate 6 lots into 1 lot.
PLA Letter Date: Aug 27, 2012
PLA Extension Date:
PLA Amendment Date:
Plans Signed by Approving Officer Date:

ENGINEERING DETAILS:
ENGINEERING:

PROJECT STARTUP:
Assigned to: Richard Bull, rwbull@surrey.ca, 604-591-4144
Payment of Engineering Processing Fee: Jul 13, 2012
Pre design Meeting Requested: Jul 13, 2012
Pre design Meeting Held: Aug 23, 2012
DRAWING SUBMISSION:
Date Submitted Comments Result
Aug 23, 2012 3004 - Submitted by Engineer

FINANCIAL INFORMATION:
Title Search: Not Submitted
Engineer of Record Estimate Submitted: Not Submitted
Engineer of Record Tender Tab Summary: Not Submitted

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
You're missing the point I was making. I wasn't demanding architectural masterpieces. I was asking for architectural honesty and simpler floorplans, such as the example I posted, which is basically a glass/spandrel slab. Vancouver's addiction to expensive point-tower massings - with all those zig-zag corners and setbacks - comes at a cost to design at the lower end of the market. That mentality killed the original design for Marine Gateway and gave us two generic turds instead.
I'm confused then. Based on the renders, the Bosa towers are identical on every floor except the top 2. That doesn't sound like "expensive point-tower massings with zig-zag corners and setbacks." So I do think I'm missing the point you were making. Guess I'm unsure what architectural honesty is. I guess my definition of architectural honesty is that you shouldn't fake things or be decorative. In the case of s residential building though I mean it's basically a lobby floor followed by floors above it that are in essence cookie cutter so by my definition (which is clearly wrong), if you were to be honest architecturally, wouldn't most residential buildings just end up being square boxes? I mean even most of the 'twist' highrises you see structurally are the same as square highrises. The twisting is kind of fake to make it look more interesting. Not sure how else you can make towers look more interesting without doing a bit of fakery or decoration.

And decoration too is a but subjective. From what I've read of architectural honesty, that extends to materials too. So you could argue on houses that use faux brick, they are being dishonest. But you can't build structure with brick here in BC building code wise so if you want a brick look you kind of need to fake it anyway or use real brick but not as structure so again are still faking. I can see where you're coming from though with regards to excessive craziness at the top of towers.

I mean I'd argue Park Place and Infinity are architecturally honest wouldn't you? Yet I've read loads of people say they are ugly. So by your definition, how should Park Place have been designed in order to be both architecturally honest yet not "ugly" is my question I guess?

Sorry just not understanding I think or confused. Btw if you think I'm being sarcastic of confrontational I'm not. I do actually want to understand your point and what you mean.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 5:17 PM

Still too soon I think to hear anything. I'd be surprised if we hear something concrete before end of spring/early summer next year, or at least after some design work is completed on the City Parkway connector at 104th.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 7:06 AM

So there have been a few changes set from the orginal plans with these towers
including increasing the podium as to keep it more in line in the sizes with city hall and the library.
plus the city has also asked for there to be less glass

also to note the incase anyone is wondering how much space is in this retail
15,426 sf/641 sm

now heres some photos

Last edited by Whalleyboy; Jan 23, 2013 at 7:08 AM. Reason: add retail space amount

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 5:31 PM

Glad to see that this project is going ahead. I definitely prefer the look of the towers now, particularly the podium. Though I still want a bit more detail on what that top bit is going to look like. The similar section on the Park Place towers looks atrocious, hopefully this wont be in the same vein.

Just to ask, is the current proposed amount of commercial space decent? 15000+ square feet seems good to me, but I don't know how these things work out in practice.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 7:37 PM

i should have added the city asked if the podium could have been increased to 6-8 storeys

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
i should have added the city asked if the podium could have been increased to 6-8 storeys
So we could see that potentially happening in the next revision?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 8:09 PM

With a consequential shortening or narrowing of the towers?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 6:58 AM

What are they going to do with that old tower thats set far back? It gonna look out of place.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 10:08 AM

as far as I can tell is they plan to work around it

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:31 AM

Looks like they have removed some trees from the site...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
as far as I can tell is they plan to work around it
From the plans it looks like they may provide access to it from the back. This would free up the space in the front (where the parking lot is now) for maybe more future commercial space or Townhouses.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diet Butcher View Post
Looks like they have removed some trees from the site...
Glad to hear they're starting on a another project DT.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 12:12 AM

There is actually going to be a temporary sales centre built on the site. The sales centre will be standing for up to 3 years. Meaning that the towers might not be built for a few years. I wonder what building the sales centre will be selling.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 6:32 PM

Consider that there are two towers plus low-rises being built on this site alone; that'll take 4-6 years to complete. Plus there are 4 other towers in that area that Bosa is planning on building as well.

All in all, Bosa has years and years of work planned for that area

Old Posted Feb 18, 2013, 6:43 PM

Go Whalley!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 7:55 PM

Yah when you have 1 developer doing a large project of this size, it takes years to complete because quite frankly you can't sell 3,000 units all at the same time. Not to mention few companies especially ones like Bosa can handle building that much all at once.

Take Quatro for example. While they were set back a bit with the fire that took out that 1 building, it has been a long process in their development of the entire area and is still ongoing. And those were just wood frame condos not high-rises.

Same with Park Place/Park Avenue. There are still 4 towers to go for Park Avenue and you see only 2 going on sale and to be under construction this year. That makes at least 4-6 years for the entire project to complete. And remember, Infinity 1 started construction more than 8 years ago.

Same will happen with Bosa. You may see these 2 start construction end of this year early next, but the remaining will happen after they are complete or midway through. So the entire site won't be fully complete I'd guess until around 2020.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 9:31 PM

Well, it's been more than 25 years since Expo 86 and there are still some parcels on the Concord lands to be developed.
Just remember that the longer they wait to develop (while others develop around them)the denser the last developments will be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley