HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

320 Granville in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:05 PM

I think if you removed the overpass completely (assuming that there is acceptable proximity from an extended Granville Street for fire truck access), you'd have to install an elevator from the sidewalk for handicapped access to the Granville Square office building (but the parking facing the new street would probably be redeveloped into retail, anyways, so it could be worked in)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:24 PM
scared of rain

Not necessarily, There is ramp access in front of the PWC building that continues to the plaza.

I don’t mind the overpass.

I do hate the green metal posts in the side walk along Cordova though, and it is such a narrow sidewalk through there to begin with.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTiger View Post
Not necessarily, There is ramp access in front of the PWC building that continues to the plaza.
I don't think there are any ramps, just stairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I'm hoping the green fencing will come down after the repairs are complete. It was put up to catch anything if it fell of the building, but they've been doing work on it and are almost complete. I'd hope that means no more need for the fencing.
I hope they take it down. The scaffolding over the walkway (east side of Sinclair Centre) has been up for almost 4 years now! I'm guessing this is a make-work project since it is a government building, but enough is enough!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:38 PM

Wow, another 400' office tower. Excellent, another decent-sized project to look forward to. The next five years should be good 'scraper' watching in Vancouver.

I did find something rather amusing in the view cone analysis pdf.
"The tip of the landing post marks the city's leading edge with a daycare - thereby putting children at the leading edge of the city's view into the future."

Is that ridiculously contrived hyperbole or what?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 7:52 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Was Sinclair centre not offloaded by the Feds to SNC-Lavalin a couple of years ago?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Was Sinclair centre not offloaded by the Feds to SNC-Lavalin a couple of years ago?
IIRC, the sale of sinclair centre was halted due to conflicts with the musqeum. i think any disposal of federal land needed consultation with them and compensation.

IIIRC, this also affects the central post office.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Wow, another 400' office tower. Excellent, another decent-sized project to look forward to. The next five years should be good 'scraper' watching in Vancouver.

I did find something rather amusing in the view cone analysis pdf.
"The tip of the landing post marks the city's leading edge with a daycare - thereby putting children at the leading edge of the city's view into the future."

Is that ridiculously contrived hyperbole or what?
Expect no less from imperious architects and planners, so freaking distanced from reality that they have time to come up with such bullshot. THESE are the freaks entrusted with the future of our city.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 9:56 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
IIRC, the sale of sinclair centre was halted due to conflicts with the musqeum. i think any disposal of federal land needed consultation with them and compensation.

IIIRC, this also affects the central post office.
Yep, this is/was the case.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 10:13 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I know SNC-Lavalin is doing the leasing at Sinclair centre, thought the land claims had only stalled the sale of the Post Office but not the others. Beleive Cushman is marketing the P.O. now, it has the potential of housing just under 2M sqft in a mix of com/residential.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 10:43 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

[The Post Office] has the potential of housing just under 2M sqft in a mix of com/residential.
The current structure or some future structure? Are they actually considering re-purposing the current building rather than building something new?

Last edited by Prometheus; Oct 1, 2016 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 10:55 PM

Sinclair Centre was purchased by Larco in 2007 (not SNC/Lavalin - they just do the leasing through a leasing company they acquired last year), IIRC.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 11:54 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

That's it, the leasing signs screwed with me, it was Larco that bought it plus another half dozen buildings. Whatever happens to the P.O. will be up to the purchaser of course, but I expect not to see it repurposed but maybe a token piece reutilized.
Is 320 Granville owned by the Whitecaps?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 6:52 AM
Reason and Freedom

Someone suggested that this is not a real proposal but rather a theoretical proposal for the purposes of rezoning, which if successful would likely be sold to another developer.

Last edited by Prometheus; Oct 1, 2016 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Someone suggested that this is not a real proposal but rather a theoretical proposal for the purposes of rezoning, which if successful would likely be sold to another developer.
Correct. That's why I suggested that people shouldn't worry too much about the bland design, as it is likely just a placeholder. Chances look good that another architect would get involved after the rezoning.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:05 AM

photo credit: me

The parking lot seems well used.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:37 AM

This parkade has always frightened me from a structural integrity perspective... those floors just seem too thin and appear to sag! Good riddance

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post

The parking lot seems well used.
Hmm, yeah. I thought the propaganda was that nobody drives downtown to work anymore?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:17 AM

I know what you mean, been taking many statistical courses currently as part of my GIS certificate, and it is amazing what you can make stats say! Not saying that these stats on this subject are false, but it is always best to research their raw data / numbers, if possible and their method of collection.

But still, will not be sad to see this structure go, just want something more amazing than the filler render right now.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:04 AM

the sale to larco went thru initially, but was stopped by the musqueam.

Is there resolution to this? was larco able to buy sinclair centre?

Quote:
The Federal Court of Canada has put the brakes on the sale of two downtown buildings by the federal government saying the government failed to properly consult with a local first nation.

The Musqueam Indian Band argued that the Sinclair Centre and 401 Burrard Street, both in downtown Vancouver, were within the band’s traditional territory and the federal government had to consult with the band before agreeing to sell the buildings.

In August, the federal government announced it was selling the buildings, along with seven others cross Canada, to Larco Investments Ltd., for $1.64 billion. The sale involved a controversial lease-back that would see Larco own and maintain the buildings which the government would rent from it.
http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...ab7a1&sponsor=

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
the sale to larco went thru initially, but was stopped by the musqueam.

Is there resolution to this? was larco able to buy sinclair centre?

http://www.canada.com/story_print.ht...ab7a1&sponsor=
Thanks to the Musqueam for saving the government from itself. These sales and leasebacks are just an accounting trick to temporally reduce deficits (or in this case, even worse, fund tax cuts) by selling assets. It typically ends up costing taxpayers more over the long term but the governments that did it will be long gone by then. They don't call them the Cons for nothing.

Pretty much all the Campbell government did was figure out how to dispose government assets and try and move liabilities from debt to operational expenses. They got called on a lot of this.

Maybe governments should be required to highlight their balance sheet including net changes in assets and liabilities. This might encourage them not to play accounting tricks.

In Arizona, they actually sold their capital building a few years back and are now in the process of buying it back. Turns out it wasn't the deal they thought it was.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver