HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 1:36 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I would rather Chicago get two more 1,500ft's then a 3k footer. Don't think that is what this guy has in mind though, too bad.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 1:41 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

The US takes the record back but then Canada takes it from under your feet by placing it, of all places, in Fort McMurray, lol.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 1:51 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I was actually imagining Troy, Michigan to build a 3,000 footer just to show Detroit how much better it is than.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 2:21 AM

Why not create an artificial island off of Galveston and stick out there!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 2:24 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
I had no idea where to put this:

Zaya Younan wants to build the world's tallest building — in Los Angeles, Houston or Chicago.

Towering ambition

July 26, 2007
Chicago Sun-Times
BY DAVID ROEDER - droeder@suntimes.com

Zaya Younan is not crazy. Since starting a real estate business in 2002, he has become one of the largest office landlords in Texas, and accumulated property worth about $1.5 billion, claiming strong and steady returns for investors.

Now he wants to build the world's tallest building. He wants it in Chicago, Los Angeles or Houston. He wants it for the glory of the United States of America, and to take advantage of long-term trends that he said will lead to more vertical living in major cities.

Full Article: http://www.suntimes.com/business/484...unan26.article

As much as I would love new supertall in Houston, this idea is a little out there. I would much prefer short towers than this one. If he wants to build a 1100-1400 foot tower in Houston, go for it, but 3,000 feet is a bit much. Even if it was built I wouldn't want it Downtown, or Uptown. I would much rather have it out by NASA or on the Bay somewhere and let it be some sort of tourist attraction.

THIS IS NOT A PROPOSAL.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 2:40 AM
Keep It Weird

It is interesting since this sounds like the first project he will have actually built. It's certainly a lofty proposal or whatever and would seem to be at best a very longterm vision, and since he is only 44 he should have plenty of time to bring it to fruition if he truly intends to build the WTB . By the time this building has true plans and everything in place there will have been many of these WTB's in the pipeline.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 3:04 AM

[QUOTE=DFW;2974609]Houston has height restrictions downtown since the seventies Chase Tower was originally Texas Commere Bank and was proposed to be 80-stories but was reduced to 75-stories due to Hobby Airport, Hobby is being expanded as well today, it won’t happen there.

So maybe they should consider Dallas instead of Houston.
Dallas has no height restrictions on the western half of downtown.

QUOTE]

This is an urban myth. Houston actually had a couple of proposals to build even taller buildings than Chase back in the early '80's. One building, the Bank of the Southwest Tower, was supposed to be around 1400' tall but the real estate market collapsed only days before constuction was to begin. There's actually a thread on the subject in the HAIF forum.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 3:16 AM
Insert Cheesy Slogan Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
umm why not build it in detroit... give that city a much needed boost theres all the land ripe for development............
It doesn't make financial sense... You can't make as much money per unit in Detroit. Nothing against the city, it's just about economics.

Last edited by brett7three; Jul 27, 2007 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 3:31 AM
Lost and Found

Here's my image of LA with the same building as WonderlandPark's image (if you don't mind, of course ).

(The actual LA image is public domain, btw).

Last edited by Sol_Invictus; Jul 27, 2007 at 3:46 AM. Reason: Fixed image link again

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 3:33 AM

Hopefully, Trump will build another supertall in the 1500-1800 range since he's furious about the Spire, but that's wild speculation. Anyways, it would make a 3000 ft monster look better in the chicago skyline- Wolf Point anyone?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 3:38 AM
Insert Cheesy Slogan Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBear24 View Post
Hopefully, Trump will build another supertall in the 1500-1800 range since he's furious about the Spire, but that's wild speculation. Anyways, it would make a 3000 ft monster look better in the chicago skyline- Wolf Point anyone?
Just build the Illinois at Wolf Point... (Scale it down a little if necessary)...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 3:43 AM
Ascension

[QUOTE=RocTX;2974750]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW View Post

This is an urban myth. Houston actually had a couple of proposals to build even taller buildings than Chase back in the early '80's. One building, the Bank of the Southwest Tower, was supposed to be around 1400' tall but the real estate market collapsed only days before constuction was to begin. There's actually a thread on the subject in the HAIF forum.
Bank of the Southwest does exist. Sorta. It shrank and moved to Philly:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 3:53 AM
Pacific Wonderland

^^^ That tower was my favorite unbuilt of the entire 80's, by Murphy/Jahn

Great looking tower. That rounded building to the left is the 992 ft / 300m Wells Fargo Tower (back then, was called something else) to give you a idea of the scale of the thing.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:07 AM
L.P. - Chi-town

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstl2020 View Post
More power to this guy. With regards the the above posted about NY. How long do you think the "tower capital of the world" will be able to hold down its ego before it once again starts seriously threatening the WTB mark? I have to think that the originator of the supertall won't stand by idly for long while the rest of the world shoots upward. Good notes about the land situation in NY though. This would fit Chicago perfectly, as they have steadily climed in height over the last decade and now have many supertall buildings under construction which would give an excellent back-drop for a tower of this size. That and it is rather quietly making itself the place to be in America for tall development, NY better watch its back, this could get outa control. (Although I know the spire isnt exactly a quiet project, there seems to be a changing of the gaurd in the contry in relation to the projects with height.)

That picture of Houston actually didn't look bad at all, although I can't help but believe that has to be undersized a bit. Seems like it would look a bit taller than that to me...

I agree... It doesn't look half bad in that rendering. 3,000+ though??? I think it's a little bit dramatic. You do have the FAA regulation to contend with, but I don't think it's impossible to have it eventually approved. You just are fighting an uphill battle.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...0?OpenDocument

I would love to see a 3,000 footer eventually built though...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
THIS IS NOT A PROPOSAL.
I didn't put it here.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:25 AM
Back in the Windy City

Zaya Younan, huh? I don't smell a whiff of Garrett Kelleher here. I prefer men who DO rather than those who talk.

Nonetheless, I'm sure Mayor Daley is keeping an eye on this. If it ever shows signs of being a quality project, he will fight for it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:37 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol_Invictus View Post
Here's my image of LA with the same building as WonderlandPark's image (if you don't mind, of course ).

(The actual LA image is public domain, btw).
That looks terrible. No thanks.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
That doesn't look half bad.
That's because the picture is grossly underscaled. If it was really 4,000 feet tall, it would be almost twice as tall as that. The tallest real building in that picture is roughly 1,000 feet, to my knowledge, so picture 4x that.

Even in Chicago, it would need to be placed dead center to not look ridiculous. Although being twice as tall as the next tallest building in Chicago would be better than 4x the height of the next tallest in Houston or LA. Could work at Wolf Point.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:54 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
That's because the picture is grossly underscaled. If it was really 4,000 feet tall, it would be almost twice as tall as that. The tallest real building in that picture is roughly 1,000 feet, to my knowledge, so picture 4x that.
It is scaled at 3000 feet, more or less, I set it at the far end of the Houston skyline, so it is pretty close to what it should be considering it was a quickie PS job.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 4:54 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

out of place @ 3000'? Maybe not SOO bad @ Wolf Point.

Last edited by Alliance; Jul 27, 2007 at 4:59 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture