HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks!

It has the same vertical fins as Phase 1 - so that's a nice tie-in.
Nice indeed.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 6:11 PM

Yah it will also have the same orange accent colors.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2017, 4:33 PM

Topped out view from Central City. Mechanical has been added on top.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 2:54 AM

Most of the glazing appears to be installed now. Just the top couple of floors left.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 2:57 AM

'City Centre 3' heading to council for 1st/2nd readings on Monday.

To be 10-storeys, include office space, ground-floor retail, and a surgical centre. Sounds like they already have some tenants lined up and are moving right along with it.

http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounci...14-0319-00.pdf

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:34 AM

It would be nice if Lark has a site among the others that's slated for a substantially taller office building - or do they?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:30 PM

I haven't heard any info on the rest of their "8 sites" other than what was said in the Business in Vancouver article earlier this year. There are those 3D models I posted a while back though, taken from the Innovation Boulevard video. They seem to show similar heights all the way north up to Fraser Hwy.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:37 AM

I think this whole project is awesome regardless of height. I made a post years ago about a long-held opinion of mine that part of the slack development issue in Surrey central has been the drive to want to build nothing but 35+ storey towers and there not being a critical mass of stuff to do or places to work. The higher you go the more expensive things get and unfortunately you need to reach a certain level of critical mass business wise. Only recently have we seen things start to mini-boom and that's a result of jobs and things to "do" coming to Surrey Central aka SFU, RCMP E-division, and some new office buildings. If none of that was ever built residential towers, especially tall ones, couldn't compete with Metrotown or Brentwood because why would someone pay a higher price to live in Surrey when they'd have to commute to Burnaby/Vancouver to work?

I always felt that kick starting Surrey development would require some developers to build shorter buildings to help the area reach that critical mass.

So while these towers may only be 10-14 storeys tops (remember office so about the equal of a 20-22 storey residential tower), it is 8 towers bringing high-tech business to Surrey which will drive need for more residential and that will likely result in taller towers.

That and as these businesses move in other businesses will be attracted driving up the need for more office/commercial space. Unfortunately not everything can be a 50 storey tower and these towers are actually on the edge of downtown so fit the gradual rise of towers as you move into the core.

I'd also imagine there are a few height restrictions right next to the Hospital given the active helipad on SMH.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
I'd also imagine there are a few height restrictions right next to the Hospital given the active helipad on SMH.
Thankfully SMH is right at the southern end of the downtown area, so height restrictions to the south, east and west won't be an issue. Even just north of it is still part of their medical district, so again height restrictions won't be a big issue. The main density and height is along the Expo Line, which makes The Hub at King George Station the closest area of tall towers.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
I think this whole project is awesome regardless of height. I made a post years ago about a long-held opinion of mine that part of the slack development issue in Surrey central has been the drive to want to build nothing but 35+ storey towers and there not being a critical mass of stuff to do or places to work. The higher you go the more expensive things get and unfortunately you need to reach a certain level of critical mass business wise. Only recently have we seen things start to mini-boom and that's a result of jobs and things to "do" coming to Surrey Central aka SFU, RCMP E-division, and some new office buildings. If none of that was ever built residential towers, especially tall ones, couldn't compete with Metrotown or Brentwood because why would someone pay a higher price to live in Surrey when they'd have to commute to Burnaby/Vancouver to work?

I always felt that kick starting Surrey development would require some developers to build shorter buildings to help the area reach that critical mass.

So while these towers may only be 10-14 storeys tops (remember office so about the equal of a 20-22 storey residential tower), it is 8 towers bringing high-tech business to Surrey which will drive need for more residential and that will likely result in taller towers.

That and as these businesses move in other businesses will be attracted driving up the need for more office/commercial space. Unfortunately not everything can be a 50 storey tower and these towers are actually on the edge of downtown so fit the gradual rise of towers as you move into the core.

Well said!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 10:33 PM

Sep 29 - Glass looks to be installed on all floors

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 1:58 AM

I just took the 96B down King George for the first time and I saw this on the way by. "Hey, is that the second building? Already glassed in? Nah, can't be. I think that crane is for a smaller unfinished building."

But nope, I come here and it's already topped out and glassed in. These things just grow like weeds when you don't look

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 10:00 PM

Crane is almost down

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 8:33 AM

Looks like they have progressed quite far on the work inside as well. I saw non work type lighting on at least 2-3 floors on the upper section of the tower. Should be ready to open sometime by the end of January I'm assuming.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:04 PM

On to City Centre 3..

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 10:25 PM

http://www.surrey.ca/bylawsandcounci...17-0444-00.pdf

Zone amendment to allow a <50 student private high school. They want to buy half a floor and use half of that for 4 classrooms.

Also specifies completion date of March 31 for the building.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 5:26 AM

https://www.stambol.com/webvr-360/health-tech-district/

A VR of the future Health and Technology district

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 11:47 PM

By Yellow Fever, SSC Nov 11th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Fever View Post
Surrey City Centre 2

20171111_114440 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20171111_114416 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

20171111_114349 by Hung Lam, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 11:57 PM

Looking good. If this is any indication of the quality of materials for the Veteran's Village project - it should turn out better than the rendering.

Liking the changing colour spectrum along the podium - going from white to orange to red.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 12:10 AM

The white ones could be plastic wrap.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley