HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 10:55 PM

A friend who is a very successful real estate investor, says if you drive down a street and it's nasty, then you drive down that same street a year or two later and its still nasty but there are a couple of large improvements, that's a very good buy signal.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkyWay View Post
I just poked around on Google maps - it will be decades before this area is envisioned as you guys envision it. The area between 85 and Moreland alone would probably take at least another 20 years to be built out. And once you get past Moreland, it gets very ratchet.
I live in that area now. I am not sure what you are considering "built out" but I would expect this area to see similar growth in the next few years as the area around old fourth ward park has seen in the last few years. Which many thought of as "ratchet" before. Might even be a quicker transformation than O4W, there are apparently more than 5k apartments and millions of sq ft of commercial in the pipeline in the area.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
New render for Coda:
What is that boxy structure immediately behind the old Crum & Forster building? A parking lot or some kind of utility building?

Surely that can be improved with fenestration and other human scale design elements. That sold brick wall is way too institutional, as is the exposed concrete foundation.

Back to the drawing boards on that part.

The rest of it looks terrific!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:53 AM

Quote:
I just poked around on Google maps - it will be decades before this area is envisioned as you guys envision it. The area between 85 and Moreland alone would probably take at least another 20 years to be built out. And once you get past Moreland, it gets very ratchet.
Try visiting the neighborhoods instead of just looking at maps.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What is that boxy structure immediately behind the old Crum & Forster building? A parking lot or some kind of utility building?

Surely that can be improved with fenestration and other human scale design elements. That sold brick wall is way too institutional, as is the exposed concrete foundation.

Agreed. The brick wall along the street behind the Crum and Forster building is bad but the rest of the design looks fantastic. This is really a unique building.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

I believe this part is the High Performance Computing Center portion of the project. I don't see any reason why they couldn't have some retail facing the street, as it doesn't take up that much space. You have to go inside the walkway portion to access anything, as I recall from the earlier renderings.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunking1056 View Post
Try visiting the neighborhoods instead of just looking at maps.
No

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I live in that area now. I am not sure what you are considering "built out" but I would expect this area to see similar growth in the next few years as the area around old fourth ward park has seen in the last few years. Which many thought of as "ratchet" before. Might even be a quicker transformation than O4W, there are apparently more than 5k apartments and millions of sq ft of commercial in the pipeline in the area.
Well, I hope it's high-quality development instead of stick-built apartments on every block a-la the Leonard. And that's what I meant by "built-out."

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 5:08 AM

Quote:
No
Why be informed when being ignorant on the internet is so much easier?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
New render for Coda:

I like it much better, more streamlined.
One man's streamlined is another man's dull. I'm not convinced that it has improved this ungainly building. And I really hate the way they left the Crum & Forster building like a detached outhouse.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 1:24 PM

Interesting information about Underground per AJC:

Link (Paywall): Developer says it will buy Underground Atlanta as other groups circle

Quote:
Multiple firms are monitoring the situation and the looming January deadline.

One of them is the U.S. arm of a German development and investment firm, Newport Holdings.
Quote:
Newport has brought on at least two former executives from Jamestown, Katharine Kelley of Green Street Properties and Nawrocki, who were key players in Jamestown’s redevelopment of Ponce City Market. Both are experienced in complicated real estate transactions and adaptive reuse projects such as Ponce City Market, the former hulking Sears, Roebuck & Co. warehouse reborn as a hive of offices, apartments and high-end retail and restaurants.
Quote:
Newport is not a party to the Underground transaction with WRS, but at one time was seen as a potential investment partner, one of the two people said.

But the AJC has learned Newport is the sole investor behind the pending or completed sales of about 20 downtown buildings that were previously identified as ones targeted by WRS to expand the Underground footprint.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 2:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWNTWN View Post
I believe this part is the High Performance Computing Center portion of the project. I don't see any reason why they couldn't have some retail facing the street, as it doesn't take up that much space. You have to go inside the walkway portion to access anything, as I recall from the earlier renderings.
It's a data center.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 3:25 PM

Westside is scoring the $20 million new Headquarters for the YMCA of Metro Atlanta which will be moving out from the United Way building downtownm.

One block west of the new Mercedes Benz Stadium on MLK jr. drive

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...to-area-s.html

Maybe the stadium will actually lead to improving the area this time with all the additional investment it is spurring into the area.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 4:07 PM

Some of the lack of thought/ignorance on here utterly amazes me at times. While my opinion of the exterior finishes on many of the mid rise apartments being built matches many on here, to say they are low quality or lacking in long term durability is complete bs. What do you think all these 'old' condo and apt buildings that many on here praise and want to protect from demolition are constructed out of -- WOOD! I have been in commercial construction over 20 years and all these 'old' gems are wood building with various exterior finishes applied for aesthetics. The new mid rise apts y'all are so quick to criticize are much more structurally sound today then these same old buildings were when they were built. Light metal stud framing is beginning to penetrate the multi family and single family construction market greatly but wood is the primary and most economical and environmental choice available and will remain so. To emphasize and repeat, WOOD is better economically and definitely greatly superior from an environmental view point.

As for those doubting Memorial Drive, I have lived in Grant Park 4 blocks south of Memorial near Hill for 14 years now. As far as ability to be anywhere in metro Atlanta quickly there isn't a neighborhood that could come close to the quick access this area has to downtown, airport, midtown, north, south, east or west. The comment regarding Moreland to I-85 referencing google maps has nothing to do with Memorial Drive. Moreland runs north south and intersects with Memorial but is another neighborhood entirely south of Memorial (East Atlanta and so on) I've seen this area transform from overgrown 1 way streets with homes for less than $50,000 to beautiful $500,000+ single family walkable neighborhoods in less than 3 years and could never imagine a better place to live honestly all along Memorial south of 20. Come on a school day and witness the multitude of children walking to school at the Neighborhood Charter School or the newly renovated MLK before you comment about the potential for Memorial. Visit the Kroger and newly renovated high school on Glenwood and 20 just below Memorial before viewing a map on google. Trust me this area has the infrastructure and is already a active neighborhood that's been waiting for Memorial to take its place as a major corridor. The activity occurring and about to begin is on the same par as what has happened in the 4th Ward and West Midtown (which 10-15 years ago such a place didn't even exist for those of us who are natives). West Midtown was abandoned industrial JUNK known simply as the Marietta Blvd area. The difference is this area already has good basic infrastructure along Memorial including many beautiful large and small parks in the area (more already being planned and started such as the linear Memorial park and all along the belt line where it crosses through the area), several strong and active neighborhood associations, new and expanded schools and other basic infrastructure to handle this huge growth wave unlike other intown areas that are really struggling to cope.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Dec 9, 2016 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 4:17 PM

Colliers has published the 2016Q2 Multifamily market report. Things still looking good for Atlanta and especially Midtown:

http://www.colliers.com/-/media/file...t.pdf?la=en-US

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 4:56 PM

New renders of the Selig project out:

Love it

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 5:17 PM

Selig

Fantastic looking project

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 5:24 PM

Quote:
New renders of the Selig project out:

Love it
From the ABC article:

Quote:
The company hired architect Rule Joy Trammell + Rubio LLC to design the mixed-use project, which will feature an abundance of natural daylight and views of the city skyline. The architects said they didn’t want to design the building as “just another glass box.”
How riveting....ATL gets its own cheese-grater (aka a glass box with cross bracing).

Selig's Proposal

122 Leadenhall Street in London

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 5:29 PM

Glad that the office tower will be on the highest part of the parcel where it will make the most impact on the skyline. Great project.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiapeanuts View Post
new renders of the selig project out:

Love it
this must happen!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations