HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 11:51 PM

BTW, here's a pic of the Oak Street Bridge on opening day, 1957. Too bad they didn't have proper 12-foot lanes and a divided median at the time:

Source: http://www.richmond.ca

As an aside, traffic regularly clicks along the OSB at 80 km - 90 km/hr. Once one hits the southern bridgehead the freeway begins - BUT it's STILL posted at 60 km/hr for another ~1,000 feet.

And the Queens Cowboys just love it. Just this afternoon, at 1 pm, five cruisers were stationed in the centre median knocking of car after car after car. Ten cars were already pulled over as I drove by. And this section of Hwy 99 must be the least dangerous piece of highway in the LM. Probably the biggest speed trap as well. So beware.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
You guys forget the Exit ramp from Oak Street Bridge (going NB) to eastbound SW Marine. A byproduct of the 1950's highway design. Easily one of the most dangerous exits of the entire freeway network in the Lower Mainland. The exit opening is too narrow, sudden and was too short. Also the distance between the exit lane and the barrier was too small.

Heck, lanes of the entire Oak St Bridge was too narrow with little to no shoulder.
I was just thinking of the Oak Street Bridge with it's narrow lanes. On the northbound side there's a pretty big bump on the transition from level road to bridge, plus it's at a point where the road curves. I used to drive a Neon whose struts had died many years before. That was a rather nerve-racking spot as the car liked to bounce a lot and the lanes were rather narrow.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 6:40 PM

Oak St. and Queensborough bridges are from another era... it's hard to criticize them for not being built to modern freeway standards, as with the Patullo.

These bridges replaced other bridges that were on different alignments (in OSB's case, the old one was at Fraser Street/5 Road). It is conceivable that their future replacements could be built on different alignments as well.

It is possible that a portion of Hwy 99 will be demoted to being just an airport connector in the future, with a new crossing to Vancouver being built somewhere else.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 7:43 PM

But people drove land yachts back in the days! You'd think they would've needed 15 foot wide lanes.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 7:50 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
And the Queens Cowboys just love it. Just this afternoon, at 1 pm, five cruisers were stationed in the centre median knocking of car after car after car. Ten cars were already pulled over as I drove by. And this section of Hwy 99 must be the least dangerous piece of highway in the LM. Probably the biggest speed trap as well. So beware.
This makes the road so much more dangerous in itself. Even if 80km/h feels fast in a large truck or wide car most everyone still does it, which creates a fairly homogeneous flow of traffic most of the time. Having everyone weave around the one person following the speed limit makes things so much worse.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
These bridges replaced other bridges that were on different alignments (in OSB's case, the old one was at Fraser Street/5 Road).
The Oak Street Bridge opened in June 1957, but it didn't replace the Fraser Street Bridge. The latter was built in 1905 and closed on February 10, 1974 having been replaced by the Knight Street Bridge.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
This makes the road so much more dangerous in itself. Even if 80km/h feels fast in a large truck or wide car most everyone still does it, which creates a fairly homogeneous flow of traffic most of the time. Having everyone weave around the one person following the speed limit makes things so much worse.
Bingo.

Speed doesn't kill nearly as much as variable speeds between vehicles do.

And cops doing radar on roads that are operating fine (and above the speedlimit) is retarded. Let traffic flow, putting cops there just causes congestion, meaning everyone is slowing down anyways.

Golden Ears Bridge is a perfect location for idiotic speed traps.

It's essential that drivers drive at the speed they feel comfortable doing, unless they know it's heavily enforced.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Bingo.

Speed doesn't kill nearly as much as variable speeds between vehicles do.

And cops doing radar on roads that are operating fine (and above the speedlimit) is retarded. Let traffic flow, putting cops there just causes congestion, meaning everyone is slowing down anyways.

Golden Ears Bridge is a perfect location for idiotic speed traps.

It's essential that drivers drive at the speed they feel comfortable doing, unless they know it's heavily enforced.
Yea, if I feel comfortable driving 100 on the Coquihalla, I should be allowed to do so! High five!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Yea, if I feel comfortable driving 100 on the Coquihalla, I should be allowed to do so! High five!
Two types of people on the roads...

Source: http://www.skylark.co.nz

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 10:10 PM

I was Speedy on my way to Kamloops trying to make a meeting and Slowpoke "rushing" to get back to the office.

Hey I get a certain amount of money per km of mileage expense, the less money I spend using on fuel (by driving slower), the more there is for me.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 11:19 PM
HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Whenever I drive on the Coquihalla, I always go at 130-140km/h and it's still extremely safe. Same with the 97C. The Coquihalla undoubtedly is the best designed freeway in the entire province. Even today's freeway projects don't even come close (they don't have that political will anyway).

Highway 1 east of Surrey needs to have speed limits increased to 110-120km/h ASAP. In Minnesota, all interstates outside of Minneapolis-St. Paul is always 70mph, even with 40mph minimum speed. But many 2-lane Minnesota state highways have practically ZERO passing lanes, meaning if you're driving behind a container, or a trailer, you'll be stuck forever, unless he/she turns (This is one of the few things that BC has done a good job on in its freeway/highway design).

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
The Oak Street Bridge opened in June 1957, but it didn't replace the Fraser Street Bridge. The latter was built in 1905 and closed on February 10, 1974 having been replaced by the Knight Street Bridge.
Correct. It replaced the old Eburne Bridge shown here:
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/archive...59-1&OEH=utf-8
http://vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/archive...59-1&OEH=utf-8
Interestingly the second photo refers to Duck Island, which must have been dyked and added to Lulu island at some point, or else dredged out of existence.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 5:28 AM
(daka_x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Probably got in a few cars behind. Still, he likely saved a lot of time over waiting.

You guys got nothing on queue jumping until you've seen the 176th Ave. border crossing. There's a group of people who live in that area who regularly jump right down to 0 avenue and brazenly just push in. I've seen people get REALLY upset. Me, I usually let them in. There are more important things to get angry about and since getting upset about it just lets the other driver control me. One's reaction is usually a reflection of who one is on the inside... so I try to control mine.

Coming North, locals use a few side streets to practically get right up to within 5 car lengths of one of the border crossings. It's a pretty amazing short cut that's not well known to the Canadians. Of course, it's a little awkward to get to unless you know where you're going, but wow, who needs Nexus if you know that short cut.
I know and use that short cut too
For you lucky folks here on this forum (but, shhh, don't tel or everyone else will be using that lucky shortcut ), take exit 274; make 3 rights until you are on Hughes Ave. east, take the second left onto Odell after the I-5 overpass, then turn right at the end on H Street. Turn left on Allan street (which curves left onto D Street) and it leads you straight onto that on-ramp with no delays whatsoever. These side streets are much less used and it's faster than exiting all the way down at Peace Arch or turning on Boblett/H Street. Cut my border wait time from 40 minutes down to less than 5
Very confusing for us Canadians though. There were two other cars in front of mine with B.C. license plates; the first took the wrong turn on Odell and the second just missed the on-ramp and turned right onto the road just before it

The thing about that shortcut though is that it's an interchange now and not an intersection - and the design of the on-ramp to create a new lane just short-ways before the border (not even merge, though a merge would probably just create lots more problems) - is what makes the shortcut work. On the BC side, having to turn right into already waiting traffic--what a mess. If we could do the same thing at BC 15 & 0 Avenue as they did at WA 943 & D Street, I'm pretty sure people would figure it out quite quickly though :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
The thing I hate most about Knight Street is the lack of left turn lanes. To me, that makes the road feel so unsafe. Trucks speed through there, trying to pass each other, then dart out of the fast lane because someone is trying to turn left someplace stupid like 61st or 55th. Knight Street should have a concrete divider put up the middle and have all left turns banned 24 hours a day where there are no dedicated left turn lanes.
I agree. There is a simple solution to this though:
Turn right on local street
Turn left or right on another local street (depending on if you turn right before or after the road you want to go on)
Stop, turn onto the road you want to go on.
Sure it makes turning a bit more painful but for straight traffic it's probably much better

Last edited by xd_1771; Sep 1, 2010 at 5:38 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Back to the initial postings in this thread - the Vedder Canal Bridge.

Quote:
NEWS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
2010TRAN0057-001002

Aug. 31, 2010
Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure

SAFETY ENHANCED ON VEDDER CANAL BRIDGES

CHILLIWACK – Work has begun today on improvements to enhance the safety of the Vedder Canal Bridges on Highway 1 south of Chilliwack, Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Shirley Bond announced today.

“Following a recent incident in this area, and in consultation with my colleagues John Les and Barry Penner, I discussed this incident after which I asked staff to carry out an engineering safety review. The review is now complete and confirms the roadway and bridge meets applicable standards. However, a number of proactive measures were identified to promote greater driver awareness as they approach these crossings, and provide additional protection in the event of a crash.”

Safety enhancements on both the northbound and southbound bridges will include:

· Concrete roadside barriers will be extended 150 metres on the approaches.

· Additional reflectors will be installed on the concrete roadside barriers and bridge guardrails to increase driver awareness.

· A second row of rumble strips will be installed on each approach.

· “Shoulders Ending” warning signs will be installed on each approach.

· White pavement markings will be installed along the shoulders to increase driver awareness.

In addition, concrete barriers with reflectors will be installed along the length of both bridges to reduce the potential of vehicles striking the railings, with engineering and design already under way. These barriers will be installed on both sides of each structure.

“Following the most recent incident, I asked the minister if further measures to enhance safety were possible,” said Chilliwack MLA John Les. “While there was no evidence the bridge was a problem, I’m pleased to see that further precautions are being taken. These upgrades will help keep drivers aware and attentive while approaching and crossing the bridge to help avoid future accidents.”

“While the Vedder Canal Bridge still meets current safety standards, I’m very supportive of the additional safety upgrades,” said Chilliwack-Hope MLA Barry Penner. “Improved highway safety in our area is something I’ve been working on with my colleagues, such as building the first roundabout on a provincial highway in B.C. and also installing the first modern cable barrier in our province.”

Final works are expected to be completed later this fall.
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...057-001002.htm

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Back to the initial postings in this thread - the Vedder Canal Bridge.

http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...057-001002.htm
Interesting.

Nothing that really makes it safer. It's a cheap fix, and if you crash, reflectors won't do anything.

Still note that they refuse to do pavement reflectors, but it's a start.

I noted this AM they set up signs and stuff for construction, but I hate these cheap fixes.

The bridge needs widening, the vertical alignment needs levelling, and the curve directly to the west needs to be realigned so the curve isn't so tight.

None of the "solutions" fix that.

Last edited by go_leafs_go02; Sep 1, 2010 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 7:33 AM

This thread is great, since it's all over the map. I'll give my ten most hated places:

The light outisde my house, 64th @ Lyon Rd. in Delta. (Excessive Speeders + Hidden solid red light = very dangerous, bad enforcement, and really scary)

Hwy 99 EB merge from WB Hwy 10 in Delta. (100 km/h speed on 99, but give absolutely no merge lane to get to speed. Those rare Semi drivers that use it, boggles the mind)

Fraser Hwy EB after 168th, 2 lanes to 1 in Surrey. (Right lane merges very quickly, a concrete barrier instead of a gradual merge)

Oak St SB after 70th in Van. (Weavers, enough said)

Knight St NB & SB at 33rd in Van. (no left turn lane/weavers)

Hwy 10 EB @ Scott Rd. (back up to turn left in pm. rush./blind corner)

King George SB after 32nd Av Diver in South Surrey. (useless 2 lane section, too short, and people cut you off)

64th EB after 176th in Cloverdale. (2 lane merge, but people use it mostly to cheat, it ends too quickly, always fun not letting someone in though)

Pattulo Bridge NB & SB (SB weavers before Royal, NB timid drivers are half that mess)

Nordel Way through Delta both ways (EB has no left turn lanes yet at Brooke and Sheppard. Always fun driving along really quick than seeing that f***er put that signal on. WB people tailgate really bad going down that hill. They put radar at the bottom, seems like a pretty smart thing since it's a 60 and people drive over 100 down. But today for example I'm going down at 85 to head SB 91, and a driver flips in behind me and starts basically touching my bumper... I'm pretty sure 25 over is an expensive ticket, you want me to go faster than that. Nope I'll just check my brakes a few times and slow to 60, and it's your fault. )

Old Posted Sep 26, 2010, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise604 View Post
Knight St NB & SB at 33rd in Van. (no left turn lane/weavers)

You would of loved to have driven Knight back in the 70's and early 80's. At that time pretty much all the major cross streets did not have a left turn bay along Knight/Clark

Yup no left bay at 1st, Great Northern, Broadway, 12th (might of had them back then but can't remember), Kingsway, King Edward (might of had them), 41st and 49th (which was only recently just done, about 2 years ago)

I remember when Knight & 41st, Knight & Kingsways had one the highest accident rates. Both were usually in the top 5 if not 1 and 2 at times. They put the left turn bays in and the number of accidents dropped drastically.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 9:12 AM

So I've been told lol. I can't imagine that though honestly. It sounds so horrible that I can't. Vancouver road planners seem like they were f***ing retarded when designing the major arterial routes through the city. So I wanted to stay South of Fraser as best I could with the 10 I picked, but I could of chosen 10 in Vancouver alone.

Knight/57th (forbid left turns period, or build the damn lanes already)
12 Av East/West (Let's take a major, major, major 4 lane route, and allow parking on it, so that it is single lane each way. Idiots!)
4th @ Burrard (forbid left turns onto Burrard SB, but allow them at the next light 50 m. past, solves nothing at all, it backs up to Burrard)
49th @ Main/Fraser/Knight/Victoria (no left turn lanes, they made 2 lanes instead, people risk their lives to fly by on the right)
* Main @ 49th (too small/busy)
Boundary @ 1st Av (too busy for no real left turn lane, plenty of room to make one)
1st Av @ Nanaimo/Renfrew/Victoria/Commercial/Clark (horrific small/narrow intersections, the ones that have left turn lanes, can fit 3 cars)
Main NB @ 2nd WB (left turn arrow might help, just a thought)
Granville @ King Ed (no left turn lane, a s***ty left turn signal though, same as Oak @ Park)
Granville @ 16th (build a left turn lane before it starts backing up into Marpole)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 3:23 PM

carnage countdown on the 12th Ave Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywise604 View Post
12 Av East/West (Let's take a major, major, major 4 lane route, and allow parking on it, so that it is single lane each way. Idiots!)
That has always been a mind-blower for me, too. I remember when I lived in Vancouver (taking 12th as infrequently as possible), thinking ... "this can't be for real!" .... except that it is .... OMG

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 4:33 PM

A lot of the time though I head down 12th Ave EB at night and there usually aren't any cars parked on the right lane even though it is permitted. WB you usually hit cars about west of Victoria, sometimes a bit earlier.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure