HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Tower at PNC Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Pittsburgh Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 3:37 AM

Disappointed. I think Pittsburgh deserves some more striking and bold high rise architecture. It's basically a boring glass box without any distinctive features to make it stand out. Though I'm very glad the tower will be one of the greenest new skyscrapers

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 4:24 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Wasn't expecting this. Kind of reminds me of 4WTC.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 5:19 AM

At first glance, it looks more like a condo tower than an office tower...

Nice get for the Pitt though!

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 2:06 PM
What could go wrong?

I think it is a great looking building. It resembles our newly completed Manitoba Hydro Building here in Winnipeg. it has the same type of atrium design although a bit taller. Hydro place recently won the best Tall Building in the Americas for green building design. I cant wait to see the pics from the construction from you guys.

..........i bet that atrium will look amazing at night.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
Anyone know of any recent talk about the proposed office building development on that empty lot above on the lower right? It would be really nice to see two commercial towers being built in downtown Pittsburgh in close proximity at the same time (though I know that the proposal on that empty lot was for only a 20 story building or so).

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 6:58 PM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

I'm interested in seeing some renderings from the West End Overlook.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
About time Pittsburgh!

Of course a lot of cities would love to have this right now...
I think the only reason why things are progressing so quickly on this project is because it's self-funded. One Grandview was proposed a year ago; the city's planning commission has given approval to its final design, and site demolition will be underway very soon, but financing is still uncertain. Credit really needs to get flowing again because there is a shortage of available office space in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilamonster View Post
I like the design, especially the non-square shape of the building as well as the street to roof glass. I am a little surprised and disappointed they are planning a height so close to the BNY MELLON Center without going over it. The final height is as of yet to be determined but it looks like it will settle in somewhere between Pittsburgh's 4th to 6th tallest building.
PNC said that they were going to seek community input for certain aspects of the project. My only demand is that the tower be no less than 600' tall.

Old Posted May 25, 2011, 10:01 PM
Endless Moments...

That is one nice looking tower. I like it...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:53 AM

A
Quote:
nyone know of any recent talk about the proposed office building development on that empty lot above on the lower right? It would be really nice to see two commercial towers being built in downtown Pittsburgh in close proximity at the same time (though I know that the proposal on that empty lot was for only a 20 story building or so).
I don't see Burns & Scalo moving forward on that (1 Smithfield) any time soon, and I doubt it will look much like the renderings (hopefully it wont - its very bland).

Millcraft is supposed to start on The Gardens about the same time that PNC breaks ground. The Gardens is probably more viable than 1 Smithfield at this point.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 1:21 AM

Right, I believe The Gardens is almost ready to go. We should see two buildings going up within one (right?) block of each other...

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 1:44 AM

I had to drive around to a number of different parts of the city today and I kept trying to envision this new tower in the skyline from the different places I was at. One thought as I sat behind the wheel: it will be awesome to see it rise when coming into the city from the Liberty Tubes.

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I had to drive around to a number of different parts of the city today and I kept trying to envision this new tower in the skyline from the different places I was at. One thought as I sat behind the wheel: it will be awesome to see it rise when coming into the city from the Liberty Tubes.
It should glow nicely.

Should the tower be outlined in neon like that one skyscraper in Dallas, or is that too tacky? (I think it looks kinda cool.)

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 8:35 AM
Everywhere all at once

FINALLY! Something that will make a significant impact on the Pittsburgh skyline!

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 12:57 PM

Well, we do have a few of those. There just hasn't been a new one in a rather long time.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 1:31 AM
Closed account

Yeah, Pittsburgh sure is lucky for this one because otherwise it sure is lacking in the skyscraper and highrise department.

Seriously, this is such a big win for Pittsburgh. It may just help turn it's green image a little more that many don't know about further of New Castle.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 2:11 PM

I really don't think we are lacking in skyscrapers for a city of our size. We've actually got quite a few... they're just older. Glad this is changing.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 4:07 PM

This is wonderful news for Pittsburgh. Just further proof that the downtown area has a bright future. I think 600 ft is a good height regarding the symmetry of the skyline looking from the west, and, plugging the gap looking from the south.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 4:26 PM

Philadelphia is also going for the green city thing. I would be cool if PA was home to 2 of the greenest cities in the country.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 6:07 PM

This sleek minimalist tower promises to be iconic standout amongst Pittsburg's fab pre-war collection. I love the dramatic atrium, a unique statement like the new Bow office tower in Calgary.

Old Posted May 27, 2011, 6:52 PM
Chairman

This great news for Pittsburgh. This proposed and 1 PPG will compliment each other quite well.

-sb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive