HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:09 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
Pipeline News is reporting that there is new plans to build a new pipeline to get Alberta oil to the east coast. Hope something happens that makes it possible where Energy East failed:

https://www.pipelinenews.ca/news/loc...UpbxPnOxi9ptzo
Unless we see a conservative majority in October this project will be DOA. Wouldn't get any hopes up until after October 21st

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:53 PM

Talk about a pipe dream!

There was no support whatsoever in Quebec for Energy East, and the longer things go the less overall enthusiasm there is going to be for any fossil fuel projects, be it in Quebec or elsewhere.

Would it be anything less than decades to propose a route and go through all the court challenges for this, given that it is proposed that the entire pipeline be new? There will be dozens of environmental groups opposing it, and hundreds of indigenous groups. And there will be hundreds of thousands of people protesting every step of the way.

It's time to put a stake in the heart of the idea of a pipeline coming to the East.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
Talk about a pipe dream!

There was no support whatsoever in Quebec for Energy East, and the longer things go the less overall enthusiasm there is going to be for any fossil fuel projects, be it in Quebec or elsewhere.

Would it be anything less than decades to propose a route and go through all the court challenges for this, given that it is proposed that the entire pipeline be new? There will be dozens of environmental groups opposing it, and hundreds of indigenous groups. And there will be hundreds of thousands of people protesting every step of the way.

It's time to put a stake in the heart of the idea of a pipeline coming to the East.
I disagree! I think if the Liberals are booted out of office than Energy East will go ahead as Sheer says pipelines are one of their priorities. It was the Liberals, for political reasons, that sank the project in the first place.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2019, 7:51 PM
Unregistered Loser

I wouldn’t put any trust in what Sheer says. To most of the big party politicians, Canada ends at the Quebec border.

I think thefishingnut is right, the hopes of a pipeline died with Energy East. Besides, oil demand has peaked, and a pipeline won’t make the everyday NBer any better off. Money and time is better spent creating opportunities to get us out of the “boom and bust” cycle.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 4:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
I wouldn’t put any trust in what Sheer says. To most of the big party politicians, Canada ends at the Quebec border.

I think thefishingnut is right, the hopes of a pipeline died with Energy East. Besides, oil demand has peaked, and a pipeline won’t make the everyday NBer any better off. Money and time is better spent creating opportunities to get us out of the “boom and bust” cycle.
I hope the pipeline never happens , other the. The few jobs what other reason would anyone what this going through their city? Unreal!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 2:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark smith View Post
I hope the pipeline never happens , other the. The few jobs what other reason would anyone what this going through their city? Unreal!
The pipeline would not be the economic saviour of Saint John.

I still support the concept though, primarily because it rots my socks that we are dependent on oil imports on the east coast, despite the fact that Canada has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. I would be much happier giving my business to Alberta that to a corrupt Saudi prince.

Regardless, given the degree of ecological activism rampant in Canada right now, I am under no illusions that the conditions to allow construction of the pipeline will ever occur again. We would be far further ahead concentrating on development of new green energy initiatives locally here on the east coast, especially wind power. This will be necessary to satiate the increased demand in the future from the adoption of electric vehicles over the next couple of decades.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I still support the concept though, primarily because it rots my socks that we are dependent on oil imports on the east coast, despite the fact that Canada has one of the largest oil reserves in the world. I would be much happier giving my business to Alberta that to a corrupt Saudi prince.

Regardless, given the degree of ecological activism rampant in Canada right now, I am under no illusions that the conditions to allow construction of the pipeline will ever occur again. We would be far further ahead concentrating on development of new green energy initiatives locally here on the east coast, especially wind power. This will be necessary to satiate the increased demand in the future from the adoption of electric vehicles over the next couple of decades.
I agree. I too think it is crazy to be buying our oil from Venezuela and the Middle East when Alberta oil and NB natural gas could be had. However, the use of fossil fuels is nearing its end. What may be another 25-30 years before we are completely weaned off of it? As such I would encourage the province to become a leader in green technology. That is where the future is and the jurisdiction that establishes itself with enough critical mass in the industry will be a winner. Why not New Brunswick?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Seems to me it was a project that should've actually been presented in the late 90's / early 2000's. They were 10 years behind the ball and missed their window.

I think it would have been great to refine Canadian oil. However, this pipeline was never about that. It was always to be foremost an export pipeline, and needs to be looked at as such. To build support for it, the benefits were touted to be of nation-building scale, and therefore it invited nation-wide scrutiny.

It is not some sort of energy independence/security project, and will never provide the wide-scale job growth that is often thrown around. Yes, there would be a jump in job-growth during construction in pockets of the country, but anything that uses "man-hours" as its measure of how many jobs will be created is generally not a large-scale job creator over the medium to long-term.

Most importantly though, Canadian refiners don't appear to have any intention of refining Alberta crude. Irvings themselves said they would still be importing from abroad as the economics of their tanker imports are too good. Unless they get some sort of incentive to refine it (ie. a government subsidy / tax break / rebate) the only time the Irvings would be touching it, is when they are exporting it. The Irvings whole interest in it was for export purposes (they could fill empty tankers with Canadian oil after importing Saudi oil).

https://business.financialpost.com/c...ast-goes-ahead

If a Canadian refiner (ie Irving) was going to be refining it without government support (either in the form of rule/law changes or in monetary incentives) then I would be for it... But I see the window on it as being fulling shut.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
I agree. I too think it is crazy to be buying our oil from Venezuela and the Middle East when Alberta oil and NB natural gas could be had. However, the use of fossil fuels is nearing its end. What may be another 25-30 years before we are completely weaned off of it? As such I would encourage the province to become a leader in green technology. That is where the future is and the jurisdiction that establishes itself with enough critical mass in the industry will be a winner. Why not New Brunswick?
There is a mind numbingly large opportunity which I hear little talk about addressing. Plastic recycling. Wondering if people are NIMBY or if that is an opportunity you'd support?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkenkratzerliebhab View Post
I disagree! I think if the Liberals are booted out of office than Energy East will go ahead as Sheer says pipelines are one of their priorities. It was the Liberals, for political reasons, that sank the project in the first place.
Today I learned that the federal Liberals are apparently somehow responsible for vehement opposition from First Nations and the province of Quebec.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 2:11 PM

Saint John To Host National Track And Field Competition

https://www.country94.ca/2019/10/01/...d-competition/

The U SPORTS Track and Field Championship will come to the new Irving Oil Field House in March of 2021.

Quote:
Belof says the new sports complex is a game changer for the sports community, and opens up doors to new opportunities. “Within the Atlantic region there aren’t a whole lot of six lane 200 metre ovals that have the capacity to host or have the capacity to really entertain larger events,” he said.

Bill MacMackin, president of the Saint John Track and Field Club, and assistant coach of the UNB track team, agrees.
“There is no other facility like this east of Montreal,” he said in a release. “To be able to host a premiere national championship meet in this building in 2021 will give us a chance to showcase it to the entire country. It will be the first of many big events we hold here.”
Belof says UNB will be hosting three or four track and field meets this year in preparation for the U SPORTS championship, which he calls the “crown jewel.”
“The Atlantic Championships, and the Canadian Masters Championships in March (2020), so as far as sports tourism goes and facility hosting, its already starting to book up with some pretty decent events that are going to be hosted here in Saint John,” he said.
Quote:
The UNB will also host the Atlantic University Sport Track and Field Championships at the Field House next February, an event that has been held in Moncton for over 30 years.
Awesome to see big sporting events/championships coming to SJ now!

Last edited by DyAm00394; Oct 1, 2019 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 11:17 PM
ハルウララ

Fieldhouse paying immediate sport tourism dividends. Great news.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:24 PM

Moncton developer turns around condemned Saint John apartments

This sounds like a great project for Saint John

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Saint John To Host National Track And Field Competition

https://www.country94.ca/2019/10/01/...d-competition/

The U SPORTS Track and Field Championship will come to the new Irving Oil Field House in March of 2021.

Awesome to see big sporting events/championships coming to SJ now!

I was very upset when I heard it was being called the Irving oil field house.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark smith View Post
I was very upset when I heard it was being called the Irving oil field house.
I mean... It's literally a tender put out publicly essentially says "pay us X dollars, and we'll put your name on the building". So Irving donated a butt load of money (2Million!), and for that contribution, they get their name on the front, I don't really know what there's to be upset about.

Are you upset with TD giving Harbor Station a bunch of money too so they could have their names on that building too?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB_ExistsToo View Post
I mean... It's literally a tender put out publicly essentially says "pay us X dollars, and we'll put your name on the building". So Irving donated a butt load of money (2Million!), and for that contribution, they get their name on the front, I don't really know what there's to be upset about.

Are you upset with TD giving Harbor Station a bunch of money too so they could have their names on that building too?
And who can forget Fort Reliance auditorium lol

Reality nowadays is these places need corporate sponsors to be viable
Maybe we’ll get Cooke Aquaculture Aquatic Centre

Old Posted Oct 8, 2019, 12:39 PM

On a more positive note, the Gothic Arches building has been confirmed as sold by the realtor, which is a fantastic step toward saving this amazing heritage structure!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Maybe we’ll get Cooke Aquaculture Aquatic Centre
Oh, I like the sound of that one. Very fitting.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 11:23 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

A building permit has been issued for the construction of a new 14-unit building at the corner of Victoria and Albert Streets in the North End.

Source: Watch Us Grow App

The developer of this project is the Unified Saint John Housing Co-Operative (of which I am a member), and I can share some additional information about it that we received at our Annual General Meeting this week:

- The 14 units will be a combination of 1 and 2 bedrooms.
- Most units will be subsidized with a small number of market rate units.
- All units on the ground floor will be barrier free.
- The design will be similar to the Co-Op's previous new build on Second Street (pictured below).

Source

- The development is part of a larger initiative being spearheaded by Housing Alternatives called Victoria Commons, which aims to catalyze revitalization of the Old North End through land assembly and (re)development of housing stock over the next several years.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 4:45 AM

Are there any updates on the former Fundy Line Motel property? I think that all the buildings would be gone by now. o.o

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces