Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
i suspect most residents who live there full-time drive for all their basic shopping needs and spend nearly as much time in their cars as a typical suburbanite.
There's a Mariano's in LSE.

I know a ton of people who have lived here specifically because they wouldn't need a car. Thinking on it now, I've never known anyone who lived in LSE who actually did have a car. The only people I've ever known to park there are people commuting in from the suburbs.

It serves as a great middle ground for people who want to be in the city, but don't like the quiet south loop or the more lively river north. Its better to think of LSE as an extension of streeterville, than anything.

And it helps to remember that this whole region is only about a decade old. Who knows what it will be when it is actually complete.

It is also only one transit line stop from being vastly different in its integration to the city. If a lake shore line were build linking the north side through to hyde park or so, this would be a major stopping point for Millennium park between the museum campus and Navy Pier. You could expect the amenities to change drastically for that.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
i suspect most residents who live there full-time drive for all their basic shopping needs and spend nearly as much time in their cars as a typical suburbanite.
The people I know who live there don't own cars - seems very UN-American to me. ;-)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 6:50 PM

This thread is going off the rails so let's try and keep it on topic. . . and for the record, I live here and own a car. . . although I wouldn't make a comparison to it being like a suburb of Atlanta, it's a community that is surely segregated from the rest of the city. . . for better or worse. . .

. . .

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 6:58 PM

Hi Guys: My names Chris, Awesome site. Im new on here and just anted to introduce myself. I was in Chicago on the weekend and saw the potential spires site. Still no action? Also anoyher question? how do you find out who is going to develope these sites. If wanda is the investor who is the developer? Thanks guys. Also Im Sorry if im in the wrong forum for this topic can someone point me in the reight direction if so. thank you

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJG View Post
Hi Guys: My names Chris, Awesome site. Im new on here and just anted to introduce myself. I was in Chicago on the weekend and saw the potential spires site. Still no action? Also anoyher question? how do you find out who is going to develope these sites. If wanda is the investor who is the developer? Thanks guys. Also Im Sorry if im in the wrong forum for this topic can someone point me in the reight direction if so. thank you
Welcome - for the first question ....
Spire Thread

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 6:14 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJG View Post

It is almost certain that Magellan is your developer. It's possible that they just sell the site to Wanda to develop themselves, but for any number of reasons, that is unlikely.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:44 PM

Just got confirmation that this is Studio Gang. I spoke with someone with Magellan.

I know we've all suspected, but with the firms name not being attached to the "jump the gun" press release, the Studio/Gang name wasn't really mentioned even though we all assumed.

Don't expect to hear anything more on this until either later this year or early next year.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:56 PM

Next time you're chatting, keep the booze flowing and ask about Site O.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Amen.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I've mentioned Site O previously

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:07 PM
The City

^ Perhaps you didn't get the folks at Magellan drunk enough?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:45 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
McHugh Construction has begun very early, very preliminary, embryonic work on the Wanda Tower. It’s recently become active in the space that was formerly the staging area for the first phase of the two-building GEMS Academy. The work appears to be a utility survey, which makes sense since you can’t build up until you get down, and get funky, with what’s underground. And Lakeshore East has some of the funkiest loam in Chicagoland.

Well, it’s because of Loop Spy Scott, who sent in photos, not only of the work being done, but of the signs posted around the site. Signs that helpfully, and very clearly, identify this as work on “Building C.” Building C is the urban planning codeword for the Wanda Tower. And if you’re looking for building permits, you won’t find any. That’s because this work has been classified as street work, so the permits are over at the Department of Transportation, where no skyscraper enthusiast would think to dig for them.

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...a-paper-tiger/

This tower is going to look amazing.

Last edited by munchymunch; Sep 30, 2014 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post

tis tower is going to look amazing.
yessss

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 2:14 PM

Just for reference, the Wanda site is, in fact, site C on the LSE masterplan:

chicagoarchitectre.org

Exciting to see some light site prep going on here. Wasn't there a claim that work would begin by year end when Wanda first leaked this design? Might not be Case Foundation, but its a major GC doing the kind of site prep we see before all Streeterville Construction projects. We will know it is really real if they show up with drill rigs to grout freight tunnels or if the thorium remediation crews appear.

Now if we just knew exactly what is going to go up on Site O? I've heard rumors about a couple of local architects being selected over some big national firms for large new hotel projects in Chicago. I wonder if site O is one of the sites? It would be awesome to see another Chicago upstart get a commission in LSE since that's what really launched Gang's career.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post

This tower is going to look amazing.
Very exciting news thank you for the update. This is only street work though, I wouldn't get too excited. Has the aldermen approved this tower?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 3:39 PM
you know where I'll be

^ It may be that it is ok within existing PD and/or only needs administrative changes......at least it's unclear to me.......in other words, it may not need the typical entire aldermanic dog and pander show......

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 4:05 PM

This project is pretty exciting...for something in Chicago that isn't the Spire.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ It may be that it is ok within existing PD and/or only needs administrative changes......at least it's unclear to me.......in other words, it may not need the typical entire aldermanic dog and pander show......
I think you're right I was trying to find articles about approval for recently completed LSE buildings. There seems to be none of typical approval obstacles.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 6:18 PM

Yes, the entitlements for this building are in place and can be shifted from the originally planned 3 towers on this site into one large one relatively easily. The problem that LSE is going to run up against is the last few building they build where they might have to go back through the process to amend the original PD to get additional density. I have a feeling they are probably saving the corner site across from the Spire for last for this reason. They probably figure it will be the easiest to get an increase if they are asking as a part of a major exciting new project.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 5:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ good call, urb. let's get this thread back on topic.

it's about the proposal at 375 east wacker.

any other discussion about more macro-level topics such as where office development may or may not be appropriate belongs in a different thread. all further posts on that topic will be deleted from this thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture