HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Globe Op-Ed on why Canada must develop a backbone when dealing with China. Schoolyard bullies don't respect weakness.

...China no longer wants to comply with the Westphalian system of equal sovereign countries that underlies a rules-based international order, and that is hard for Ottawa to accept. Mr. Trudeau was seriously misled when he thought China would accede to international standards on environmental, gender and labour rights to get a trade deal with a Group of Seven country, but none of his incompetent advisers suffered any consequences for the ensuing fiasco.

Ottawa’s feckless appeal to Beijing’s moral decency over the Chinese fentanyl manufacturers, whose product kills thousands of Canadians, was met with a Chinese demand to allow a police liaison officer to be installed in China’s Vancouver consulate – a request that was rejected over national-security concerns. This impudence squares with Beijing’s insistence that Canada allow Huawei equipment to run our telecommunications networks even though China fiercely restricts foreign components in its telecom systems.

Canada must change the channel, immediately. The current dynamic is poisonous to future Canada-China relations, and damages our credibility with our allies, including the United States.

We made a good start by removing John McCallum as ambassador, who seemed to believe that defending Chinese interests in Canada was as important as representing Canadian interests in China. We need someone who actually understands non-democratic kleptocratic regimes, someone who is fluent in a Chinese language to reach beyond the Foreign Ministry gatekeepers and engage directly with China’s power-holders. Would we send an ambassador to Washington to engage Congress who could not speak English?

Ottawa missed a huge opportunity when it learned that China was blatantly violating the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations by pressing Michael Kovrig, under severe duress. Mr. Kovrig would have been party to confidential files as part of the Five Eyes intelligence consortium when he had served as a Canadian diplomat. We should have immediately expelled some of the large cohort of Chinese security agents operating semi-openly in Canada...

-Charles Burton is associate professor of political science at Brock University, senior fellow at the Macdonald-Laurier Institute’s Centre for Advancing Canada’s Interests Abroad and a former counsellor at the Canadian embassy in Beijing.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...gs-with-china/
Does Justin only listen to people who tell him what he wants to hear? It's hard to believe that seasoned vets in foreign affairs wouldn't have told him pushing China on items such as gender was only going to piss them off.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 7:45 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
We need someone who actually understands non-democratic kleptocratic regimes, someone who is fluent in a Chinese language to reach beyond the Foreign Ministry gatekeepers and engage directly with China’s power-holders. Would we send an ambassador to Washington to engage Congress who could not speak English?
Okay, I'll do it, but there are conditions. I don't work mornings, and some days I don't work at all. Dress code is: optional. And the bon-bon dish must be kept full at all times.

When do I start?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Okay, I'll do it, but there are conditions. I don't work mornings, and some days I don't work at all....
Maybe the Senate would be a better fit

Old Posted Mar 10, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Does Justin only listen to people who tell him what he wants to hear? It's hard to believe that seasoned vets in foreign affairs wouldn't have told him pushing China on items such as gender was only going to piss them off.
It is my understanding that such people are either not consulted or ignored on most issues.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 12:59 AM

US threatens to limit Germany's access to intelligence unless they freeze out Huawei. It's just a matter of time before Canada has to. I can only imagine Trudeau must have asked for some breathing room in light of the Canadians beign held unlawfully in China:

The US has underscored to Germany its threat to limit intelligence sharing with countries that use Chinese tech giant Huawei to build their 5G communications networks.

US Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell sent a letter to the German government last week threatening to curtail German access to US intelligence if Berlin decides to issue contracts to Huawei, according to a US official familiar with the matter.
"The Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Energy has indeed received a letter; there is no comment on its content from their side. There will be a quick reply," said Matthias Wehler, spokesperson at the German embassy in DC. Germany announced March 7 that it wouldn't ban any company from bidding on 5G contracts...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/11/polit...ter/index.html

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 6:30 PM

China has banned canola exports from a second Canadian company. Thank goodness Justin says he's going to "roll up his sleeves" and work with China to solve the issue.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...d-canola-seed/

Newsflash Justin: kleptocratic authoritarian regimes don't respect weakness.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
China has banned canola exports from a second Canadian company. Thank goodness Justin says he's going to "roll up his sleeves" and work with China to solve the issue.

This is not good, my brother still has last years crop in the bin and all his neighbours are in the same boat. Chinese are playing hardball, but our only saving grace is that Canada grows a huge percentage of the world wide canola crop.
What can we do though?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
This is not good, my brother still has last years crop in the bin and all his neighbours are in the same boat. Chinese are playing hardball, but our only saving grace is that Canada grows a huge percentage of the world wide canola crop.
What can we do though?
Here's what I would do:
-Prepare a list of all CPC officials who have family residing in Canada. Send CRA in to audit the hell out of them.
-Ban residential property purchases by foreign buyers.
-Insinuate forcefully that Huawei will be banned from 5G in Canada unless agricultural harassment stops immediately.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
When is Trudeau goping to take a tougher line with China? They just shut off all Canadian canola imports and imposed tough restrictions on other goods.

Seriously, revoke the Huawei b!tch's bail and lock her up.
Quote:

TIL whatnext is a Canola oil farmer

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
TIL whatnext is a Canola oil farmer
This wasn't you buying luxury watches in the article SpongeG posted was it?

Airport delivery service for rich Chinese unravels, leaving Canada jeweller Montecristo with huge unpaid tax bill

..One receipt, for example, showed a customer named You You Dong spent C$550,000 (US$410,000) on February 19, 2013 at Montercristo’s flagship boutique in central Vancouver.

The receipt says the items were for export three days later, and a handwritten note at the bottom says “Union Pay Paid on Feb 28; 13”. You You Dong is listed as a non-resident on her export form, which the company relied on as “proof of export” for such sales.

But the Canada Revenue Agency found they were not enough to prove the sales happened “outside Canada”...

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...ravels-leaving

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:11 PM

I'm sure reading that name gave you a big chortle which spewed chocolate milk all over your keyboard. Hope your mom didn't give you too much grief for cleaning it up.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:
I'm sure reading that name gave you a big chortle which spewed chocolate milk all over your keyboard.
Tell me you didn't too.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:13 PM

Mr. Cusano probably doesn't have much experience transliterating Mainland Chinese names. If it was "Dong Yuyu" it wouldn't have elicited much of a 2nd look

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Mr. Cusano probably doesn't have much experience transliterating Mainland Chinese names. If it was "Dong Yuyu" it wouldn't have elicited much of a 2nd look
Is "You" not an acceptable Chinese name transliteration?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_(surname)

I see lots of Chinese people with that surname.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:25 PM

^^

Quote:

a customer named You You Dong spent C$550,000 (US$410,000) on February 19, 2013 at Montercristo’s flagship boutique in central Vancouver.
Never mind. It's not a surname. But still, I'm pretty sure I've seen many variants of the syllable Yu as "You" among Chinese people.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:31 PM

Yu is a surname.

YuYu (or You You) is most likely a female given name. Probably the wife or daughter of a wealthy Mainlander business owner (aka money laundering commie bastard according to a couple of posters here)

What any of this has to do with Canola Oil exports beats me

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Yu is a surname.

YuYu (or You You) is most likely a female given name. Probably the wife or daughter of a wealthy Mainlander business owner (aka money laundering commie bastard according to a couple of posters here)

What any of this has to do with Canola Oil exports beats me
My friend tells me brand names here are much cheaper so many Mainlanders come to buy things here for resale. I've been told its 3x cheaper for Hermes and LV here.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 4:39 PM

One could only laugh at the disingenuousness of Huawei's CEO saying they could never been compelled by China to spy on others, on the same day Chinese buyers announced they were blocking shipments from another Canadian canola exporter. If Communist China can compel independent grain importers to do whatever the party wants, they will certainly do the same with technology companies. The rank hypocrisy is breathtaking.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...el-it-to-help/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
One could only laugh at the disingenuousness of Huawei's CEO saying they could never been compelled by China to spy on others, on the same day Chinese buyers announced they were blocking shipments from another Canadian canola exporter. If Communist China can compel independent grain importers to do whatever the party wants, they will certainly do the same with technology companies. The rank hypocrisy is breathtaking.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...el-it-to-help/
By law all companies operating in China must have a CCP member on the board and I believe they need to have some sort of party "club." This applies to foreign companies as well as China-based ones. Also by law if the CCP asks for info the company is legally compelled to provide the data.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 4:38 PM

China trying once again to meddle and influence what happens on Canadian campuses:

Chinese diplomat accused of trying to shut down Montreal event in third incident of alleged campus interference

A diplomat from China's consulate in Montreal contacted a number of people demanding that an exiled Uyghur leader not speak to students at Concordia

A Chinese diplomat in Montreal tried to shut down an event at Concordia University featuring an exiled Muslim minority leader this week, says an organizer, marking China’s third recent attempt to influence activities on Canadian campuses.

Kyle Matthews, executive director of the Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies at Concordia, said a diplomat from China’s consulate in Montreal contacted him and others demanding that an exiled Uyghur leader not appear in front of Canadian students..

...Toronto police are investigating the possibility of criminal threats in thousands of messages a Tibetan-Canadian received after being elected as a University of Toronto student president. An online petition with 11,000 signatures demanded Chemi Lhamo’s removal, and she said she believed Chinese authorities were involved.

At Hamilton’s McMaster University, several Chinese student groups protested a talk about human rights abuses facing the Uyghur minority, with other student groups writing to the federal government asking it to investigate possible state involvement. A statement at the time from the Chinese Embassy praised the protesters for being “patriotic,” but denied they had been directed to do anything.

That the Concordia incident appears to be part of a growing pattern is “kind of scary,” said Gurski. “If something is not done, if there’s no reprimand, they’re going to think they’re getting away with it, which means they’re going to continue doing it. Today it’s the Uyghurs. Tomorrow it’s Tibet. The next day it’s Taiwan, or Hong Kong, or Macao.”

“It’s something we should be worried about,” Matthews said, “that some authoritarian governments are not just trying to oppress freedom of thought and freedom of speech and academic inquiry in their own countries, but they’re now doing it in Western countries, which I think is a dangerous sign.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...s-interference

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada