HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 6:10 AM

it takes up so much freaking room so much for a nice large plaza for people to gather

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 6:24 AM

People can walk right underneath it... it doesn't steal much space.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 6:29 AM

knowing this city though skateboarders will be all over it so the officials will errect fencing or something

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 6:33 AM

I don't think the concern is that people won't be able to walk by or under it. The concern is that it will take up an open broad space that could be used for public concerts or events.

Seeing it in person (though over a fence in a crowd ), it appeared to sit in the area between the "arm lights" and the road. If that's the case, then there is still plenty of truly vacant space between it and the water.

But if it sits in the middle, it might well prevent the use of the space for other purposes.

Either way, l like it and am glad it will remain.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 10:36 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
The cauldron at the convention centre is permanent. It will serve as a legacy for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games. It was a partnership between Terasen Gas Inc. and VANCO.

Source: http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic..._274412vx.html
Surely there must be a better place for it. It's tacky, completely disproportionate to its immediate surroundings, ruins the tranquility of a beautiful wide open plaza and, as others have mentioned, detracts from space that can be used for public gatherings. Very poor judgment on this.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 10:40 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Everyone in the crowd was oblivious to any problem with the cauldron.
Everyone in the crowd was oblivious, period --- to all the misery located five blocks away while they oooed and aaahed about some silly lights.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
The cauldron at the convention centre is permanent. It will serve as a legacy for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Games. It was a partnership between Terasen Gas Inc. and VANCO.

Source: http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic..._274412vx.html
What I can't figure out is by permanent do they mean it will always be lit or just a statue

I've always thought once the olympics leave the flame can never be lit again.

So to have it stay is nice, but it would awesome if it was lit.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 11:54 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdinVan View Post
Everyone in the crowd was oblivious, period --- to all the misery located five blocks away while they oooed and aaahed about some silly lights.

Do you know what's REAL misery? It's called Africa.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 11:55 AM
with glowing hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabotp View Post
What I can't figure out is by permanent do they mean it will always be lit or just a statue

I've always thought once the olympics leave the flame can never be lit again.

So to have it stay is nice, but it would awesome if it was lit.
It'll be a permanent fixture, but it won't always be lit...it'll be lit during special occasions, likely every February 12th from now on.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
It'll be a permanent fixture, but it won't always be lit...it'll be lit during special occasions, likely every February 12th from now on.
Which raises the question what is considered a special occasion.

Oh canucks winning the cup

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 6:20 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to hate on SLC or Utah. SLC isn't very big, but it may be boring to big city types. If you like the outdoors though, it can easily match Vancouver. The skiing, hiking, fishing, rock climbing is amazing there. It's a very beautiful place.
Amen to that. I love the US Rockies. And SLC put on a very good games.

One of my all-time fave cities is Denver, which is like a hybrid of Vancouver and Salt Lake.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 7:42 PM
Bridge Walker!

Quote:
Surely there must be a better place for it. It's tacky, completely disproportionate to its immediate surroundings, ruins the tranquility of a beautiful wide open plaza and, as others have mentioned, detracts from space that can be used for public gatherings. Very poor judgment on this.

I think it's a terrific location! Excellent idea VANOC!

Although a likely target for anti-games losers/vandals.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Life, people and cities are multivalent and complex. Vancouver has many challenges to confront and deal with. But Vancouver also has many qualities to be proud of. Watching the Opening Ceremony for three hours does not mean people are oblivious to the challenges in the Downtown Eastside. The Olympics are not the cause of, nor the solution to, nor a scapegoat for, all the problems of Vancouver, Canada and the world over. Furthermore, the people attending the ceremony are not the people who are going to solve (if solve it the right word) the challenges of the DTES. Nor will it be people such as yourself, if you continue to complain about misallocation of taxes on the basis of moral righteousness, rather than getting your hands dirty and actually trying to help those in need. No one wants to do anything themselves and until we start to take action individually, we (myself included) and our communities are all equally to blame for at least some of the problems in the DTES. Those who are so concerned about housing and the issues at hand really should stop complaining and start trying to make a difference.

Implicit in your statement are a number of issues which I must address. So, if people are being evicted from their lodgings in the DTES, it is because of the ethical and moral choices of specific individuals (those running the lodges). If more money should be spent on housing for the homeless, I don't see how it should be in conflict with Olympic funding. It could be blamed on numerous government spending initiatives, such as the Golden Ears Bridge, or the new Portman, or port expansion or anything. This is especially true if people are going to lump in the cost of the Canada Line, Convention Centre or Sea to Sky improvements into the $6 billion figure for hosting the games.

More to the point, however, is the lack of value you placed on the Opening Ceremonies and their "silly lights". The positive meanings, values and effects of such celebrations are profound. The values of inclusiveness, community and acceptance are powerful and needed. In fact, in a recent article in the Vancouver Sun, the president of Georgia said, in the face of death and national tragedy, said, the "Olympics will go down in history as a great celebration of human solidarity, and of humanity, and perseverance, and in a very Canadian way." These feelings aren't as measurable as beds in a building, I grant you, but community building may just be what Vancouver needs.

The opportunity to assert "Canada" to the world is a powerful community and country building event that, for such an young and insecure nation, is difficult to accomplish in any other manner. Finally, it is the ability to create and take part in these celebrations which make our cities and our nation such a desirable place to live. There is no forgetting the fact that the ceremony and games are an indulgence when compared to a world in which fully half of the population survive on less than $2.50 a day, and where half lack basic sanitation. But to devalue the ceremony because of it is a short-sighted act.

And, just to state the obvious, this is much less a reply to the quoted statement at the beginning than a venting of growing frustration with many Olympic detractors. There are great points made by the detractors, and I agree with many of their concerns. Their protesting is a healthy affirmation of Canadian democracy and ensures we don't get too swept up in the atmosphere of the Games. But many of the arguments are unbalanced, illogical and are focusing too much on the games and too little on the issues at hand. If the protesters really believe that more should be done about housing, why not protest everyday, everyday, not just during the Olympics. Do so in front of the Legislature, do so in front of the MLA's offices. Make change happen.

And on an unrelated note: I don't think the crowd was oblivious to the malfunction. I was there and noticed it. The fact that there was a big hole in the floor with nothing coming up where something did earlier, and the fact that there were four torch bearers standing around made it rather obvious. But what were we supposed to do? Let that minor mishap mangle the whole ceremony, or accept it and celebrate it for what it is?

Last edited by natelox; Feb 15, 2010 at 6:49 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2010, 9:24 PM

they are lucky the torches never went out while they waited they have a short span of time for flame

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 1:15 AM
See ya down under, mates

I can't believe it's going to be there permanently. It looks like giant paper towel tubes wrapped in tinfoil. Maybe once everyone reaches consensus on how shitty the games were for us, it'll be removed due to embarrassment.

*waits for some idiot to post debbie downer pic again*

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I can't believe it's going to be there permanently. It looks like giant paper towel tubes wrapped in tinfoil. Maybe once everyone reaches consensus on how shitty the games were for us, it'll be removed due to embarrassment.

*waits for some idiot to post debbie downer pic again*
No need for another idiot, you're more than enough.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 1:35 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
No need for another idiot, you're more than enough.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 2:23 AM

i thought they kind looked like supermans whatever it is he goes to on a much smaller scale

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i thought they kind looked like supermans whatever it is he goes to on a much smaller scale
Fortress of Solitude! Yes!

\

If that wasn't the inspiration, I'd be *shocked*.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 2:39 AM

The Cauldron of Solitude - considering it's fenced in, that's apropos no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]