HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 4:09 AM

Like I said I'm glad the population of Edmonton is growing as is it's downtown.

I am just a little concerned about how the downtown/inner city is still losing it's share of the city's population. I am quite certain the population of the downtown will continue to grow and the city's downtown will continue to fill up those massive parking lots which is nothing but good news but Edmonton's downtown will have to do more than just get people back downtown in order to become a truly vibrant inner city.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 11:29 AM
Back from the dead

Any chance a thread on population statistics will have more than one or two population statistics ?

I mean, if we're giving up on the old population statistics thread then it stands to reason that it's because there was too much yapping about everything but population statistics. Are we not learning yet ?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 3:00 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Like I said I'm glad the population of Edmonton is growing as is it's downtown.

I am just a little concerned about how the downtown/inner city is still losing it's share of the city's population. I am quite certain the population of the downtown will continue to grow and the city's downtown will continue to fill up those massive parking lots which is nothing but good news but Edmonton's downtown will have to do more than just get people back downtown in order to become a truly vibrant inner city.
It isn't though...

Mature neighborhoods are having some challenges ^in certain areas, while others are thriving.

MacEwan is consolidating it's university downtown, 4000 new students, Norquest College is doubling its size.

Corporately things are improving and putting Stantec ^in the core means 1700 new workers.

The arena district will bring 2-4million people downtown a year.

etc etc

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 4:24 PM
BANNED

Weird an Edm moderator posted about why I commented on Edm lack of high rise/mid-rise/low rise with TO as an example, not Calgary, and then quickly deleted all related posts.

Well here's a quick rundown:
Oliver grew by 900 people over the past 5 years, Beltline grew by 1,100 this past year alone, even while none of the large 3-400 unit developments have hit the market yet.

According to the database section, edm has 12 high-rises u/c. Though the Pearl is now finally complete after 5 years of construction and Skyline has been cancelled for a good year, so 10.

Calgary has 34 u/c which appears to be missing projects like EAP2 and EV Hilton. The projects here are also much larger in general. Mid-rise/low-rise/row-housing development is also much stronger across the inner-city than Edm (prob 10x larger in volume)

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 4:40 PM

This thread has already turned into a city vs city debate.

Enough of this...

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada