HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:42 PM

I didn't say I wanted Anne Marie to personally dictate style and approve projects. I would, however, like the political leadership of the city to take an interest in the design of our major downtown buildings, especially ones that impact our skyline. Is that asking too much? A clear example of a city that has a hands on approach to design is Waterloo. Auburn Developments of London is building a multi-million dollar development there. Their proposal to the city of Waterloo was just as ugly as the project they just built in London (Harriston tower). You would probably be proud of how ugly it was. I'm not sure of all the details, but I do know that they had to go back to the drawing board to redesign the project to get the approval of Waterloo council. In London, it seems like all we care about is getting residential units at any cost - and who cares about design.

Also, I am quite aware of how economics work. No one is saying we need marble and glass towers - just a little better design than the status quo would be nice. I don't have to go to school to learn planning, OMB or anything else to know what we have in London currently is crap design. I know that these developers are private. Just wondering, are you in favour of giving them tax breaks, etc. to build concrete crap?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates