HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
The contribution to the museum was delayed while the city determined how bad their budget shortfall was going to be. The VBC update was rebid because it came in a few million higher than expected.
Exactly. Thank you for pointing that out.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2009, 8:17 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHunt View Post
The contribution to the museum was delayed while the city determined how bad their budget shortfall was going to be. The VBC update was rebid because it came in a few million higher than expected.
Gotcha. That makes more sense

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 7:48 PM

Bonner and RSA

Why hasn't the RSA invested the money in Huntsville that it has in Montgomery, Mobile, and Birmingham? We have RTJ and that's it.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 7:54 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp7123 View Post
Why hasn't the RSA invested the money in Huntsville that it has in Montgomery, Mobile, and Birmingham? We have RTJ and that's it.
What money has RSA invested in Birmingham?

Basically it's because there isn't a very big opportunity to build something like a tower. The former height restrictions really kept anything from happening.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
What money has RSA invested in Birmingham?

Basically it's because there isn't a very big opportunity to build something like a tower. The former height restrictions really kept anything from happening.
Keyword being Former. But even still RSA should've been able to step up and make their make in Research Park. The Army and NASA are always looking for the best deal on buildings and I'm sure all the subcontractors would like to have a nice RSA tower or 3. No reason why the Westin Hotel, Hudson-Alpha, and Adtran have to be the tallest buildings in that part of CRP.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:14 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Remember when VW was looking hard at locating their now under construction plant in Chattanooga in Huntsville? Remember VW officials later said Huntsville would remain high on their list for future consideration.
Well this may indicate something big is in the works
"The City of Huntsville may spend $300,000 to reserve the right to buy a Limestone County farm where Volkswagen strongly considered building its first U.S. automotive plant.

At tonight's City Council meeting, Mayor Tommy Battle is expected to seek approval for a one-year option to purchase 1,500 acres from the Sewell Family Partnership"

Battle said two companies, which he declined to name, have looked at the Sewell property in the past year.

Under the proposed deal, the city's Industrial Development Board would option the Sewell tract for one year or possibly two. The $300,000 to hold the land would come from Huntsville's capital budget, which set aside $3.5 million this year for economic development projects.

The city would need to come up with about $30 million if it decides to purchase the site, Battle said.

W.F. Sanders, an Industrial Development Board member, said the city is "on the international map" and has to be able to accommodate large manufacturers that want to come here. "

the state still plans to make interchange improvements at I-565 and Greenbrier Rd.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:21 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Patriot Parkway gets revised for 2035 This would require a massive rebuilding
of the Jordan Lane/I-565 interchange
yeah whatever
After the Army nixed the Patriot Parkway's Redstone Arsenal crossing, city planners went to work to find an alternative route.

They chose a new route for the northern half of the highway that follows Jordan Lane and Patton Road for a couple of miles before turning southeast and connecting with the original route outside the arsenal gate on Martin Road
The new northern half of Patriot Parkway, which will be part of the Memphis to Atlanta superhighway, will leave I-565 at Jordan Lane, follow Patton Road to just inside the arsenal, turn southeast, go behind the Solid Waste Authority's waste-to-energy plant, and connect to the original route at Martin Road.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:27 AM
America's Mars Rocket

As reported on the excellent web site http://huntsvilledevelopment.blogspot.com/

Earth Fare will locate at the old Circuit City site and Kroger at the new WaterCress development at University(72)/Jeff Road.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:29 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I've always thought it would be a good idea to create a I-35 situation for Huntsville and Decatur. Obviously, the current I-65 would be come I 65W, and AL 36 would be massively upgraded or paralleled by a new I 65E.

Seems like it would help a lot to make it similar to Dallas/Ft Worth or Minneapolis/St Paul. Though, a lot of traffic would be taken away from Decatur and Athens.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:32 AM
America's Mars Rocket

I actually think at one time long ago this idea or similar was considered

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:39 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Keyword being Former. But even still RSA should've been able to step up and make their make in Research Park. The Army and NASA are always looking for the best deal on buildings and I'm sure all the subcontractors would like to have a nice RSA tower or 3. No reason why the Westin Hotel, Hudson-Alpha, and Adtran have to be the tallest buildings in that part of CRP.
The new Von Braun Complex under constuction on the Arsenal (this building is HUGE) will handle 2700 employees and over 800,000 sq ft

the Von Braun Complex, Phase III is an 839,873 GSF six-story, 102’ tall, administrative building that will accommodate 2,649 occupants. The project also consists of a 2,120-space employee parking lot, Burose Road widening, and detention pond. The RFP requires anti-terrorism force protection measures including building standoff distances, structural preventive collapse, blast resistant laminated glass, lighting protection, bollards, control gates, and berms.
Phase 1 and 2 are in the background

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:50 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
I actually think at one time long ago this idea or similar was considered
it really needs to be brought back on the table. Huntsville seems close to 65, but it's still incredibly inaccessible. Creating a 65W make Huntsville much more appealing to future industry. Accessibility, it's all about accessibility.

Quote:
The new Von Braun Complex under constuction on the Arsenal (this building is HUGE) will handle 2700 employees and over 800,000 sq ft

the Von Braun Complex, Phase III is an 839,873 GSF six-story, 102’ tall, administrative building that will accommodate 2,649 occupants. The project also consists of a 2,120-space employee parking lot, Burose Road widening, and detention pond. The RFP requires anti-terrorism force protection measures including building standoff distances, structural preventive collapse, blast resistant laminated glass, lighting protection, bollards, control gates, and berms.
Phase 1 and 2 are in the background
Pardon my French, but DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMNNNN. That is one nice building. How much is it supposed to cost? I can't imagine what that thing is gonna do for traffic between Decatur and Huntsville. Can you say nightmare?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:51 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Huntsville International still after low cost carrier
Low prices can be had if you are flexible and look can book early

Officials won't be deterred if Huntsville International Airport doesn't receive a federal grant to recruit a low-fare carrier to serve the airport, U.S. Rep. Parker Griffith said Tuesday.

"If we don't get the grant," the Huntsville Democrat said at a morning news conference at the airport, "we'll go to Plan B, C and D. We'll be looking for more grants."

Airport officials could know this month if the airport will receive a $2 million grant from the federal Department of Transportation that the airport would use to recruit a low-fare airline (HSV Times)

Go here and support the cause
http://www.wewantlowfares.com/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 12:59 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
it really needs to be brought back on the table. Huntsville seems close to 65, but it's still incredibly inaccessible. Creating a 65W make Huntsville much more appealing to future industry. Accessibility, it's all about accessibility.

Pardon my French, but DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMNNNN. That is one nice building. How much is it supposed to cost? I can't imagine what that thing is gonna do for traffic between Decatur and Huntsville. Can you say nightmare?
Hence the need for the Patriot Parkway, Martin Rd, and Zierdt Rd widening projects.
Completion of the building is set for October 2010 I believe.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 1:29 AM

I like the proposed new location for Patriot Parkway, and I hope it's built to interstate standards. Better yet, they could extend it north and replace or go parallel near AL 53 all the way to I-65 near the state line, and extend it south across the river to meet up with I-65 near Falkville. We'd finally have a true N-S interstate in Huntsville and an alternative that would actually substantially reduce traffic or prevent future traffic build-ups on the Parkway.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 1:32 AM

Quote:

I have to wonder, how much office space does the Huntsville market have, the Arsenal included? It has to be more than any other part of the state except Birmingham. IIRC Research Park has 9 million sq ft and is the second-largest office district in the state behind Downtown Birmingham.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 3:35 AM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
I have to wonder, how much office space does the Huntsville market have, the Arsenal included? It has to be more than any other part of the state except Birmingham. IIRC Research Park has 9 million sq ft and is the second-largest office district in the state behind Downtown Birmingham.
Rough numbers sq/ft 2008
Total over 16 million sq ft with about 7% vacancy
The CBD/Downtown around 2.6 million
Cummings Research Park 11.1 million
1.2 million under construction on Redstone Arsenal

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Rough numbers sq/ft 2008
Total over 16 million sq ft with about 7% vacancy
The CBD/Downtown around 2.6 million
Cummings Research Park 11.1 million
1.2 million under construction on Redstone Arsenal
Source? 7% vacancy is outstandingly low these days.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 5:30 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Source? 7% vacancy is outstandingly low these days.
Haha, it really doesn't surprise me. Huntsville has really been forgotten when it comes to downtown construction, and just office construction period. The city has a lot of business in very few buildings. Hopefully, after the economy picks back up Huntsville will see a bit of a boom in downtown.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 2:43 PM
Moving target

Huntsville Airport most expensive

Huntsville Airport now the most expensive airport in the US

"Airport Check-in: Huntsville, Ala., has highest U.S. fares."

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...airfares_N.htm

Huntsville, Ala., is now the most expensive airport with an average fare of $471. It was followed by Grand Rapids, Mich. ($403); Savannah, Ga. ($402); Washington Dulles ($383); and Houston Bush ($379).

The lowest fares were at Atlantic City ($185), followed by Long Beach ($216); Dallas Love ($223); Orlando ($228); and Fort Lauderdale ($229).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast