HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 7:21 PM

NE Corner of 7th and McDowell

Boutique Solie is going in between T-Mobile and Sernas Dry Cleaner.

http://boutiquesolie.com/

EDIT:

Interior of Boutique Solie:

Last edited by nickw252; Mar 23, 2012 at 2:23 AM. Reason: added picture

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 11:12 PM

do those awnings actually provide any shade? it doesn't look like they do in the image.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:21 AM

NE Corner of 7th and McDowell

I'm somewhat impressed with the NE corner, and somewhat dismayed. As was noted above, the T-Mobile store looks great but the after-hour bars in the windows are disheartening as this is not a bad neighborhood. Moreover, the half-lit cheap-o sign and the banners really do not live up to the quality and historic character of the building.

On the other hand, the heavy doors and nice hardware look and feel really good:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrivas View Post
do those awnings actually provide any shade? it doesn't look like they do in the image.
No, at this point there are just metal frames. I'm not sure if there will be awnings in the future (I hope so!).

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Yeah, what facility?

And I hope (and assume) it is the NWC you are talking about for this facility. I haven't been on Jackson around the Union Station for a while, but there are several pretty cool warehouses and buildings in the immediate area, in addition to the Ice House. The warehouse district as a whole has been pretty decimated, but this portion of it has a few cool buildings that I rarely pay attention to.

EDIT:
Well, it appears it is going to be a six-story "high-rise" facility:
http://www.ktar.com/category/local-n...ounty-Sheriff/
Yes, the NW corner of Jackson and 5th Ave.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 10:22 PM

View of downtown from the top of Summit at Copper Square. (Taken 3.22.12 with my cell phone).

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 5:15 PM

Anyone have any more info on PURL moving out of the Security Building
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/jac...ch_lab_pur.php

or the new "temporary" dog park at MTH Park?
http://downtowndevil.com/2012/03/16/...-t-hance-park/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 7:03 PM

Never been to this place but it always sucks when a place downtown closes...

Long time Phoenix restaurant closes its doors

PHOENIX - The Matador has been a staple of downtown Phoenix for 47 years. 

After struggling with the economy, rising lease rates, and expensive renovations, owner Mike Anagnopoulos decided to call it quits.

"I used to spend seven days a week here," he said sadly.

The Matador Mexican Restaurant has been at 1st Street and Adams for almost 30 years. Before that Anagnopoulos ran "The Little Matador" for several years. 

"Once we moved here we knew it was going to be great," he said. "I remember even 10 years ago, this was the place. We had lines out the door."

On Saturday regular customers trickled in throughout the day to say 'goodbye' to a man who had become part of the family.

"I've been coming here since I was four," said Mike Lowery. "I don't know what I'll do without this place."

"I doubt I'll survive a year," said Anagnopoulos. "I don't know what I'm going to do."

There's no word at this time if there are any other businesses planning on moving into the location.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 8:12 PM
BANNED

Always sucks when a place closes, I'll echo that statement. Matador was some of the worst "mexican" food I've ever had, though.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 9:01 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^Yah it was pretty awful food. The bigger loss is that the place turned itself into a Mexican dance/night club at nights which I imagine attracted quite a few people to Downtown in the evenings which is always nice.

Thats a pretty huge space, I kinda hope its subdivided and we get at least 2 new places of the space.

Last edited by HooverDam; Mar 25, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 10:09 PM
BANNED

yeah losing the gangbanger crowd that used to frequent that place at night is a blessing in disguise! Now just to get rid of PHX, Bar Smith, and Sky Lounge..... those places are a cause of a lot of downtown's crime.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
yeah losing the gangbanger crowd that used to frequent that place at night is a blessing in disguise! Now just to get rid of PHX, Bar Smith, and Sky Lounge..... those places are a cause of a lot of downtown's crime.
A few years ago there was a shooting linked to a fight that started in the Matador (at least I believe that was the scenario). No one was killed but a couple of people were shot. That happened in 2008 or 2009.

PHX closed as well. It went under recently and the sign removed from the facade. I saw some folks in there looking at blueprints last week. Perhaps a new club owner/promoter?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:32 PM

No more Matador...now where can I find a restaurant that combines shitty Mexican food with shitty Greek food?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:45 PM

Good news, PHX is closed and gone. Rumor I heard is the city wouldn't renew their liquor license. Not sure if that's the case, but it does seem the city is trying to push these places out. A couple years ago they closed Bar Smith and Silver for a period of time over fire marshal concerns.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:53 PM

Also, regarding Matador, this comes from New Times "the city of Phoenix, who owns the building, would not renew its lease despite months of negotiations".

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 6:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan View Post
A few years ago there was a shooting linked to a fight that started in the Matador (at least I believe that was the scenario). No one was killed but a couple of people were shot. That happened in 2008 or 2009.

PHX closed as well. It went under recently and the sign removed from the facade. I saw some folks in there looking at blueprints last week. Perhaps a new club owner/promoter?
Weird, I walked by PHX about two weeks ago and it was open, with lots of blacks in line. Must have just closed, but good riddance. There have also been several fights in the past couple of years that have stemmed from those bars. The gross trash on the weekend mornings after parties, the dried gum on the sidewalks, just everything about those places is trashy and bad.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbev93 View Post
No more Matador...now where can I find a restaurant that combines shitty Mexican food with shitty Greek food?
Mi Patio on 7ave and Osborn.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 3:04 AM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
View of downtown from the top of Summit at Copper Square. (Taken 3.22.12 with my cell phone).

That's actually a pretty nice pic for a cell phone, nice

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 7:14 PM

Comparison of Coors Field to Chase Field

Quote:
Coors Field, in downtown Denver, became home to baseball's Colorado Rockies in 1995. Its impact on the city was as immediate as it was considerable: housing units in the area of the stadium doubled within a year of its completion, and retail and restaurant development experienced a similar boom. Soon after it opened the stadium's economic influence was estimated at $195 million a year, twice what city officials had predicted.

Chase Field welcomed the Arizona Diamondbacks to downtown Phoenix in 1998, but despite being modeled on Coors Field, it didn't achieve the same level of success. The stadium had little positive impact on its surrounding neighborhood and never became the centerpiece of a downtown redevelopment plan, attracting mostly suburban fans. And while residential development in the downtown area did grow after the stadium's completion, that might have been the result of the housing boom as much as the stadium.

That Coors and Chase Fields had diverging fates is no accident but rather the result of poor planning, write Arizona State researchers Stephen Buckman and Elizabeth A. Mack in a recent issue of the Journal of Urbanism. Phoenix's attempt to copy Denver's success shows that sports stadiums are not a one-size-fits-all solution to downtown redevelopment efforts. On the contrary, Buckman and Mack argue, these projects must strongly consider the natural form of the city to avoid failure:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...-stadium/1593/

It's an interesting read but I disagree that Chase Field was a bust. Chase Field did what it could do with the downtown we have.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...-stadium/1593/

It's an interesting read but I disagree that Chase Field was a bust. Chase Field did what it could do with the downtown we have.
Some of the comparitive stats they throw out about Denver County and the City of Denver vs Metropolitan Phoenix are terrible comparisons. You can't compare Denver County to Maricopa County in the way they did:

Quote:
In addition, the city itself is far less expansive: encompassing only about 150 squares miles, to more than 9,000 for metropolitan Phoenix. The result of this urban form, for Denver residents, is a considerably more convenient proximity to the stadium.
Are they seriously comparing the City of Denver (ie, the city-county of Denver) to the entire Metro Phoenix area (Maricopa County, which is HUGE and hugely unpopluated and a desert in many areas and not at all similar to a County like Denver County)?? WTF? Apparently they don't know Denver has a metro area and suburbs too.

Quote:
While 99 percent of Denver county residents live within 10 miles of downtown, that's true of only 41 percent of residents in metro Phoenix (Maricopa county)
How stupid can this "stat" be? Denver County's boundary basically is only 10 miles around downtown. If they want to use Maricopa County (Metro Phoenix), they'd have to use Metro Denver (which includes a ton more than just Denver County). I'm sure the percentage for Denver would likely be a little bit higher, but no where near the 99% vs 41%.

Aside from the ridiculous stats and comparisons in the article, it's true Chase Field really didn't have as much benefit to downtown Phoenix as did Coors Field. IMO, in a perfect world, Chase Field and America West Arena would have been built at some other perifery location around downtown Phoenix, maybe just east/southeast of 7th Street and Jefferson, but still within walking distance of downtown and the (future) light rail. That way they wouldn't have destroyed blocks and blocks of great dense historic buildings (warehouses, the old Chinatown, etc.), which could have been upgraded/renovated and would have more likely become a great "new" urban neighborhood... filled with bars/restaurants/residences in the historic buildings with new developments scattered about, similar to Denver.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest