HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 9:31 PM

West Harbour GO Station | ? | 3 fl | Complete

Metrolinx has set up a flickr page for the James Street North GO Station construction updates.

[LINK] flickr.com - GO Station in Hamilton

February 28, 2014:

Source

February 28, 2014:

Source

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 3:37 PM

James Street North GO Station | ? | 3 fl | Under Construction

Source

Source

Construction Update (April 21, 2014):

Source

Continue construction updates for the new James Street North GO Station here...

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 4:20 PM

Man is it sad that I'm more excited about the relandscaping of that area for the new go station, rather than the station itself? I think the bus stop park section is going to really add to the street.

Oh, and the trains to.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 11:31 PM
Ham-burgher

Wow, lots of earth to move in that section.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 2:22 PM

Update as of June 01, 2014

Old Posted Jun 7, 2014, 2:33 PM

that is excavation for the parking garage.

This is actually a very large investment in Hamilton by Metrolinx, they don't spend this kind of money to keep it at 2 trains a day. I would be surprised if Metrolinx doesn't start some major service expansion shortly after this is finished.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 8:32 PM

As an outside observer - is there the chance that this could eventually become the Hamilton VIA stop versus Aldershot?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:40 PM
Hammer'd

Very doubtful. VIA prefers their suburban station with massive parking. It's also located on the other side of the Bayview Junction, which allows the London/Windsor bound trains to shoot up the Dundas hill after Aldershot. If there was a station at James North again, they'd have to do a weird turn around thing since the station is located on the other side of the junction, opposite Aldershot/Oakville/Toronto. It would however work as a stop on the Toronto-Niagara Falls route if they eliminated the stop at Aldershot, though I can't see service levels warranting it, especially when GO makes the Niagara Falls train service permanent. I'd actually see VIA eliminating the entire route up to Niagara Falls and might see the existing VIA stations at Grimsby and St. Catharines converted to GO stations.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
As an outside observer - is there the chance that this could eventually become the Hamilton VIA stop versus Aldershot?
It is possible but VIA refuses to commit to anything. They won't get rid of Aldershot because it's on the mainline for London and Sarnia bound trains. Niagara Falls to Toronto (and Amtrak's New York train) could use James North.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
It is possible but VIA refuses to commit to anything. They won't get rid of Aldershot because it's on the mainline for London and Sarnia bound trains. Niagara Falls to Toronto (and Amtrak's New York train) could use James North.
That's what I was thinking too - they would still need Aldershot for the London/Windsor/Sarnia trains. It's a shame the spur falls so short of Hamilton; it it only could've come through Hamilton a bit closer to downtown then the current GO station would be really busy since all the trains would come through it.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 9:12 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
That's what I was thinking too - they would still need Aldershot for the London/Windsor/Sarnia trains. It's a shame the spur falls so short of Hamilton; it it only could've come through Hamilton a bit closer to downtown then the current GO station would be really busy since all the trains would come through it.
Geography has had such a mixed impact on this city over its history.

I recall my grandpa talking about getting the train from Hamilton just after WWII began (I think he hitchhiked with a friend from Windsor to Hamilton to enlist, and was sent by train to Halifax; he came through a few times after the war while on leave too). Apparently the Windsor to Toronto trains used to back in to the station from the main line.

If it were on the main line, it would probably have remained one of the busiest stations in Ontario.

Last edited by ScreamingViking; Jun 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 12:21 AM

GO station construction crew fills sewer with concrete
The Hamilton Spectator
By: Molly Hayes

The city is investigating a construction mishap at the site of Hamilton's future GO station after loads of concrete were accidentally poured into a municipal sewer.

"We know we've got a problem," Dan McKinnon, Hamilton's director of water and wastewater, said Friday.

A contract crew from Loc Pave Construction Limited has been working at the site just east of the MacNab Street North bridge where Metrolinx is building a two-storey GO station. It will also include a platform that extends under Bay Street North.

McKinnon said crews were filling caissons with concrete Tuesday when they noticed "one … took more concrete than they were expecting."

Now, a sewer in that location is holding water — which means it's blocked.

City workers were on site Friday afternoon running cameras through to probe the inside of the sewer pipe, McKinnon said.

Metrolinx spokesperson Vanessa Thomas said Friday afternoon the crew appears to have drilled into the trunk sewer.

"We are still investigating the cause to ensure it doesn't happen again," Thomas said. "We apologize for the inconvenience and are working with the city … to remedy the situation as quickly as possible."

McKinnon doesn't anticipate the blockage will affect any residents in the area: The sewage travelling through that sewer backs up into a tank under Bayfront Park.

Asked if it will be as expensive to fix as it sounds, McKinnon said: "I think you'd probably be right."

Thomas said the city will not be responsible for paying the costs associated with resolving the issue.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 3:49 AM
Ham-burgher

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 6:06 PM

August 17, 2014:

Source

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 4:36 PM

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 5:55 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Looks like building is finally starting up. Digging always seems to take so much longer.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 10:51 PM

The city is currently redoing all of the sidewalks and roads between Barton and Strachan on James.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
The city is currently redoing all of the sidewalks and roads between Barton and Strachan on James.
The road is going to be all torn up during SuperCrawl, because the City apparently hates SuperCrawl.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
The road is going to be all torn up during SuperCrawl, because the City apparently hates SuperCrawl.
I’m not saying that the timing of that work seems the best possible, but the municipal government funded last year’s Supercrawl $125,000.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
I’m not saying that the timing of that work seems the best possible, but the municipal government funded last year’s Supercrawl $125,000.
... and then charged them $30K for policing.

I jest (somewhat) but I seem to recall that the funding was contentious at council and a split vote along urban / suburban lines.

Of course, this being an election year, they will all now take credit for its success.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton