HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:29 PM
ARTchitecture

New York has 4 supertalls plus one 298 meter UC

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Well and not to mention the fact that New York City has 4 supertalls U/C and another 8 proposed and at least a few of them look like they will go through to construction phase. And even still, Four WTC is 298 meters, basically a supertall. So they have 5 very tall (and supertalls) U/C right now. Just because we have a high number of crappy short towers U/C doesn't really mean all that much.

New York's tallest 8 U/C combined probably come close to if not passing the combined height of all U/C towers in Toronto.

New York's 8 tallest U/C total roughly 2,390 metres (by roof height). That is topped by Toronto's 12 tallest U/C, which total about 2,470 metres (by roof height).

And trust me, we have many more than 12 buildings U/C.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:44 PM
gettin' rich!

by fall 189 highrise buildings and/or skyscrapers under construction in Toronto.

Unreal...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 8:19 PM
gettin' rich!

from cruzin4u at UT

More pictures posted here:

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthr...lman%29/page74

300 Front - 158 Meters

Rendering Here:

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:50 PM

The glass looks terrible thus far but we should wait to see at least 15 floors of it to make a final judgement.

I must say I love the gaudy "brand name" design of the port cochere pavement though.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 4:58 PM

300 is looking sharp so far. One of the finer and more interesting window wall claddings and usage of spandrel.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:22 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
Last I heard Toronto has 3 to 4 times as many skyscrapers and highrises as New York.
That would put New York's figure somewhere around 30 high-rises. I've seen at least that number of towers going up over my visits this past month and I would have been lucky to cover one percent of that city.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:23 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post

New York's 8 tallest U/C total roughly 2,390 metres (by roof height). That is topped by Toronto's 12 tallest U/C, which total about 2,470 metres (by roof height).

And trust me, we have many more than 12 buildings U/C.
Yep, one of the craziest things I've read in a while

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:27 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
300 is looking sharp so far. One of the finer and more interesting window wall claddings and usage of spandrel.
It has potential. Some thought went into the spandrel panels. The raised effect adds dimension as well. I feel a lot better.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 11:06 PM

As much as I hate the boring surburban slab massing, 300 front is probably the only tower that is turning out better than I expected. The windows are pretty well camouflaged among the dark spandrel, and the raised panels do give it that effect in the render, which I had assumed was a non-starter.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Here are the numbers from the SSP database:

Toronto - 58 towers over 100 meters U/C
Toronto - 17 towers over 500 feet U/C

United States - 44 towers over 100 meters U/C
United States - 18 towers over 500 feet U/C

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats it right there!!!!!.... trust there is VERY LITTLE happening outside of New york, and if you take into account 911, most of that construction, is even skewed, and MUST be built regardless of economic conditions, due to psyche,and petriotism, oops patriotism!!! LOL

A bid deal here is a 12 story building.....
And as for Waterview, thats a completion, of a long halted project, that civic pride demands be completed, rather than market demand.. and it still took years for work to restart!

Toronto is indeed going through a growth spurt , that is hard to find comparison, and the underpinnings are even more confused..... Many such rebirth's of city's, occur after periods of great war, and empirical growth, a gathering of resources... and thus a king will rebuild his capital.... Even New York in the 20's has a lot to do with the wealth of the post war industrialists!!! This has no such inertia.....

But rather, seems based on a global confidence, in our stability, openness, and honesty!! ( Clarity in finance and the banking system!) Almost a reward for our foreign policy, and goodwill, ..in combination with growth and immigration..... EXCITING TIMES, THAT ARE HISTORIC, IN SPITE OF ALL THE GREEN GLASS GROANING!! Many of todays buildings will become surprising classics, within 20 years. Many GREAT towers were lambasted upon arrival, only to become heritage peices..... ( Not saying Uptown here, or Couture.but SL? 1 Bloor?? FS!)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 6:15 PM
ARTchitecture

Okay yes you're all right, I'm wrong. They're trying though. and most of our towers going up are low quality and ugly.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 6:45 PM

I'll grant you that a lot of them aren't iconic or stunning masterpieces, which is not unexpected since most are condos rather than offices, but low quality and ugly? I just can't agree with that.

Last edited by Ramako; Apr 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Okay yes you're all right, I'm wrong. They're trying though. and most of our towers going up are low quality and ugly.
Its not about you being wrong, as much as it is a measuring stick , for just how crazy and protracted this boom is!?
It's really quite amazing, and people should do less grumbling, and have some consideration for just how unlikey, and rare this is!

This kinda of outpacing, is really crazy!!!

They are not ugly... that is silly.... Many of these towers are WORLD CLASS, so stop that cranking and whining, sure some are lesser than others.... but it also creates middle class opurtunities, that FS and SL do not offer.... Its a win win...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 10:38 PM

Can't tell if you're serious or sarcastic...

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 11:34 PM
ARTchitecture

He's being serious lol. There are only 5 high quality towers I can think of right now and they are RBC Dexia, Ritz Carlton, Bay Adelaide, Shangri La, and Four Seasons. Trump was a total and unfortunate bust.

Hopefully Ice turns out great.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
What defines "our towers"? Are you stating all Canadian towers are low quality and ugly, or was that just a swipe at Toronto?

The majority of American cities are not experiencing condo construction booms like our cities are. It would be comparing apples to oranges to compare office to residential architecture. I think overall Canadian residential design compares quite well to American, and other parts of the world (outside of Europe). I've seen condos in Chicago and Miami, and there's a lot of ugly ones. The only exception would be NYC, but those projects are mostly high end luxury condos which can command world class starchitecture. For the most part, Toronto condos are mid-market and investor fueled. Considering we're selling cheap condos I think the designs are fairly consistent in quality.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
He's being serious lol. There are only 5 high quality towers I can think of right now and they are RBC Dexia, Ritz Carlton, Bay Adelaide, Shangri La, and Four Seasons. Trump was a total and unfortunate bust.

Is it just a coincidence that the only 5 high quality towers you can think of happen to also be the 5 tallest towers (save Trump) that have topped out in Toronto so far during this boom?

Is it that among the other 250+ towers that have been completed in Toronto since the boom began, you think that they're all low quality and ugly, or are you just not really aware of any of the new towers outside the tallest handful?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 2:40 AM

Quote:

X Condo?/ Lumiere?/ Burano?/ Casa? / Telus/Charlie looks great .... Lightbox???? ..... not to mention much of whats to come...... Ice, L , X2, 1 Bloor, 10 York.... Massey, ...geesh..these are some great towers!!!

On par with anything out there???

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 3:12 AM
ARTchitecture

Out of anything that is topped out/completed or at least have cladding on them, they are the only ones I think are actual quality towers and not clones. Though I really do love X condo and should have added it to that list for sure.

Telus is terrible. Sorry but I just hate it. I also kind of like the look of the college park twins but from what I've seen the materials look pretty low quality.

and I totally overlooked One King West. That is probably one of my top 10 favorites in the world. Very beautiful elegant building for sure. Just forgot about it as it was one of the first ones built in this boom.

and what the hell? Why the accusations of taking a swipe at Toronto? Just because the developers there put up cloned boxes doesn't mean I'm hating on the city. Obviously I was talking about "our towers" in the context of Toronto, since I currently live right outside the city(moving to Calgary tomorrow), and this entire conversation is about Toronto and whether or not at least half the towers built in this boom there are shit boxes. You guys don't think they suck, I do. The end?

Just because I don't like the shitty design standards(which isn't only centered on Toronto of course) doesn't mean I hate this mega-boom. Regardless of anything, a new residential/commercial building is better than a brownfield or a parking lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada